How do I clean the smudge and dirt on the non-painted area of the cel?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
lansing
Anime Geek

How do I clean the smudge and dirt on the non-painted area of the cel?

Post by lansing »

There's a lot of smudge and dirt around most of my cels on the non-painted area, rarely do I have one that looks clean. How do I clean them up?
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Re: How do I clean the smudge and dirt on the non-painted area of the cel?

Post by tarakatsuki »

I would be hesitant to try anything with chemicals, so maybe try some distilled water? Do you have a picture? Vinegar syndrome can produce spots on cels, so hopefully that's not what you're looking at.
https://www.celoasis.com/index.php/home ... detection/
That site shows some pictures of what the crystal deposits look like, if it is that.
lansing
Anime Geek

Post by lansing »

This is a multi-layer cel, it has so many.

tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by tarakatsuki »

Looks like it could be that symptom of VS maybe. Not sure if you can really remove it easily.
lansing
Anime Geek

Post by lansing »

I doubt it. The layers aren't curved or distorted
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I have cleaned cels that were simply dingy with mild dishwashing soap in water. Use a soft rag or tissue and go easily on painted or traced areas. Then pat dry with a clean cloth or tissue and hang from a clothes hanger until dry.

But from the photo these may be local areas of what I've heard called "oxidation." [I don't know what this is chemically, except that it is some kind of impurity and/or chemical action in the plastic itself.) Some batches of cellulose acetate are prone to developing these white spots in time, and as they are in the matrix of the cel sheet, they can't be removed. You might try rubbing a blank part with such spots with a soapy cloth to see..

I don't know that this is related to VS: in my experience that tends to start from painted areas, especially in multi-layer setups where a top painted area is stuck to a painted area on the bottom. It does suggest that the cel has previously been kept in a bad environment, and so tara's caution is valid to that degree: it's a cel that should be inspected more frequently in storage than others.