Vinegar Syndrome have dones?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Withwingsablazed

Vinegar Syndrome have dones?

Post by Withwingsablazed »

How much have you all experimented with VS cells ? Anyone try putting top coat on the cel (nail polish) (varnishes) or what about dipping the cell into resin and just seeing if the image will preserve? It might not be exactly a cel after that in the same manner but it could be preserved ?

I see a cel right now that is for sale but has VS and i still sort of want it but every time I’ve got one i kinda wanna get rid of it because I’m scared it will spread or something …

What do you think of those ideas?
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Re: Vinegar Syndrome have dones?

Post by tarakatsuki »

I personally wouldn't play guinea pig with my cels like that but if you want to give it a shot that's on you lol.

There are some old posts on here and the FB group about CelOasis for treating cels with VS and possibly another company. I did send one cel to Cel Oasis for treatment last spring but of course I can't say how effective it was in the long run, but cel seems ok right now.
Withwingsablazed

Post by Withwingsablazed »

I looked at celoasis but i know nothing of the expense
I just read ppl on here talking about junking or tossing those cels out so i thought they thought they were just worthless when they turned like that , most ppl wont want to buy them …might if i had space for them but now I just really want to find the alternative solutions
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

As the damage is caused by chemical action within the cel itself, I would not suggest repairing by painting its surface with something that would keep it from outgassing. However, I did make a paste out of distilled water and baking soda (calcium bicarbonate) and applied it to the back painted surface of some very stinky cels that I'd acquired from Grimm's Fairy Tales: The Golden Bird. Left to dry and then gently washed off, that did neutralize the acid in that part of the cel and eliminate the smell, though the warping damage remains. No harm from the baking soda was visible on the cel or in the color of the paint.

But these were very inexpensive cels (though precious to me as art from this interesting Madhouse film is VHTG) and for something really valuable I'd go with other Betarians and consult Cel Oasis.

Just my 50 yen...