Newbie Storage Question

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
AdamVM

Newbie Storage Question

Post by AdamVM »

Hello! I've just started collecting cels, and I want to make sure I've got a good storage set up since it's a little hard for me to visualize some of the descriptions without pictures.

Right now, I've got my cels set up in my Itoya like this:Image
The cel is in the Life magazine polypropylene bag with the top edge cut open and a corner cut off.
I have the microchamber paper outside of the bag between the bag and the Itoya insert. I've seen suggestions to put the microchamber in the cel bag in front, so I wasn't sure if what I've been doing is good enough.

Any suggestions about how to improve my set up would be great!
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Re: Newbie Storage Question

Post by tarakatsuki »

Unable to see the intended image, you would probably have to upload it to a free photo storage site or something and then put the link to it. Or I think there's another way to insert it in the post.

Nothing wrong with how you're doing it. I've been putting my MC paper inside of the cel bag, with a piece of cut up cel bag in between the paint and paper to make sure it doesn't stick. I'm currently in the process of my yearly exam where I take all my cels out to air them out, replace bags and MC paper as needed, and I'm rescanning it all since I have a new scanner. I have 12 binders so this is going to take a while. :roll:

The cel bags are all in much better shape with me using the MC paper I've noticed, so it does work. I don't bother to cut corners or sides of my cel bags since I just leave the one end completely open and don't seal it shut.

I use the Itoya 3 ring binder which is much sturdier than the profolio, so that I can have the binders upright on my bookshelf like a book.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

From what you say, you are doing the right things. Like tara, I'd only suggest that you put the MicroChamber paper inside the cel bag. Like her, I use an extra (smaller) sheet of cel bag (usually scavenged from the good side of an old one) behind the cel, and the paper behind that. This is chemically the more active side, as it is where cel bags typically begin to pucker up. (This is a good indication of chemical activity, as the cel will damage the bag in which it is kept instead of vice versa.) When I did my last big gallery inspection, I found that usually this extra sheet was all that needed to be replaced (plus the paper, which will get saturated with fumes over time). The bag itself was, with few exceptions, still in good condition.

Paper inside the bag and in front of the cel is an acceptable solution, but you will probably need to replace bags more often. Still, that will mop up the worst of the chemical action.
AdamVM

Post by AdamVM »

Here's the pic again! (I haven't used forums in at least a decade, so I definitely forgot about image hosting. Hopefully imgur works lol) Image

Thanks for the advice! I do have them in the Itoya binder standing on its edge with the spine on top, and that seems to work well for me so far. I've got some more cels coming (they just seem to multiply!!), and I'll move things around then.
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by tarakatsuki »

That is what mine look like in the binder. The MC paper can go a few years before needing to be changed out. Most of my cels have been stored like this for years, and as I'm doing my annual inspection and rebagging, I'm seeing very few cels bags that are wrinkled. I store my original backgrounds in a cel bag as well with MC paper, and then for pencil sketches I put glassine paper on them to prevent smudging etc.
tarakatsuki
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by tarakatsuki »

HarveyTallan wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:48 pm Just get adequate storage boxes. If you want recommendations on where to get them id recommend either amazon, Walmart or storageboxdirect. They have good collections. Other than that you shouldnt be worried about much more in terms of storage.
Storage boxes (quality archival ones) are best for sketches. I would not store cels in a box since the fumes would get trapped, and also depending how deep the box is, you can end up putting a lot of weight on the cels as they get towards the bottom. The Itoya binders are best for cels.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

I had quite a venerated SM collection of Mistress Nine cels at one point, before I sold most of my cels off—including sketches from Spice and Wolf, Godannar (I got one full cut folder left,) and one or two extra shows. I always bagged the background separate from the acetate cel, in addition to the cel being in its own bag. I didn’t own or use microchamber paper; I stored them with A4 bags with the slits completely open in my Itoyas. I did a yearly inspection and replaced bags as needed.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep it simple. I just gave my cels more room to breathe. Welcome to the community. I hope you enjoy it. :)
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
Mitch55

Post by Mitch55 »

Hello,

Thank you for sharing these tips. They will also be very useful for my collections.
Here to see my website : Taboo Tube