How often do you wear cotton gloves?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

How often you wear gloves?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:10 am

always
3%
sometimes
15%
not at all
82%

Total votes: 71

crackpot27
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!
Location: My GPS is telling me to turn and there is no road...

Post by crackpot27 »

not unless oven mitts count X| , typically no gloves...unless its unusually cold outside and I can't wait to unpackage my cel :D
Krafty
Custodian of Records

The importance of wearing cotton gloves

Post by Krafty »

AnimeMuseum wrote:to them [cels] are waste and treated like waste. Pan cels are rolled up and cels are just thrown into its cut bag and then thrown into a box.
Stop it PLEASE, you're making my stomach turn with anxiety.

For everyone who says "I wash my hands firstm then handle cels", if you think that's safe you're kidding yourself. As it's been mentioned here, the oils from your skin do lasting damage to acetate/paper- just as these materials themselves slowly destroy themselves as gasses escape and it's acidity reacts with the rest of the material.
When you wash your hands, sure, you remove dirt but the oils are always there. If you get a fingerprint (made from skin oils) on the acetate you'll find if difficult to remove. You know the saying, "prevention is better than cure"- it applies here.
Holding a cel by its edges is good if you don't have gloves, so stick with that practice.
I find it's just as important, if not MORE SO, to use gloves/cotton T-shirt fabric etc when handling settei. Such copies are done on thin paper which absorb oils quickly and can permanently stain the paper. I accidentally held onto one sheet whilst fiddling around with my scanner and after 30 seconds, I noticed a dull mark on the paper. Bummer.

For anyone that wants to use white cotton gloves, you can get them off the rack in any chemist and they cost about US$5 or less. well worth it to keep your artwork in good nick.

Which reminds me, I need to place all my cels in bags and must remove them from any backgrounds- that watercolour paint damages acetate no end as it becomes really dry and abrasive...
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Re: How often do you wear cotton gloves?

Post by Shampoo »

lys wrote: I guess that is what happens when you paint almost the same thing 20 or so times for a scene (or less/more). Do you know of any animators that are cel collectors/admirers like us and actually appreciate they art they make?
My animation instructor last year likes the idea of collecting cel art and such, he really liked my stuff when I brought it in. I think he has a few pieces of his own. :wink:

He used to work for Disney and was around when they still did movies cel-based..he'd tease by telling awful stories about how they'd pile up like stacks of files in a box and let'em stick together like pancakes! :P
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I do have cotton gloves and use them from time to time. I'd say more likely if the cel is higher priced. But they make me clumsy, and I'm afraid that the cel will slip out of my hands and scratch against something on the way down or crease. So in 7 cases out of 10 I use my hands (wash them first). Overall, though, I only handle the cel outside the plastic bag to scan it, or to remove the sketch. Then I handle it only on the edges.

Worth noting that I once got a cel shipped to me from overseas that came rattling around inside the shipping box ... no plastic envelope or other protection except for some bubble wrap placed on the bottom of the box. So, gloves or no, you can bet that my cels get more gentle treatment once they've gotten to me than they have at any previous stage of their existence.
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Re: The importance of wearing cotton gloves

Post by kittens »

Krafty wrote:
AnimeMuseum wrote:to them [cels] are waste and treated like waste. Pan cels are rolled up and cels are just thrown into its cut bag and then thrown into a box.
Stop it PLEASE, you're making my stomach turn with anxiety.

For everyone who says "I wash my hands firstm then handle cels", if you think that's safe you're kidding yourself. As it's been mentioned here, the oils from your skin do lasting damage to acetate/paper- just as these materials themselves slowly destroy themselves as gasses escape and it's acidity reacts with the rest of the material.
When you wash your hands, sure, you remove dirt but the oils are always there. If you get a fingerprint (made from skin oils) on the acetate you'll find if difficult to remove. You know the saying, "prevention is better than cure"- it applies here.
Holding a cel by its edges is good if you don't have gloves, so stick with that practice.
I find it's just as important, if not MORE SO, to use gloves/cotton T-shirt fabric etc when handling settei. Such copies are done on thin paper which absorb oils quickly and can permanently stain the paper. I accidentally held onto one sheet whilst fiddling around with my scanner and after 30 seconds, I noticed a dull mark on the paper. Bummer.
I am glad there is another person who are as crazy as I am :P :P ;)
Cats rule!
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

Now that I know about the existance of these kotun gloves, where can I get some cheap?
God's in his heaven, All's right with the world
backlotanimation
Eiketsu - Mastermind

glove use. and a little info about the oil thing.

Post by backlotanimation »

Hello all,
I use gloves most of the time if I'm going to be working with them for long periods of time, If you clean your hands with a good non-scented soap like dawn dish soap you will be ok touching your cel to put it in a bag or whatever just wash your hands every few mins if you don't have gloves and will be handling lots of cels.
Note: Dawn dish soap the blue one is the only soap by law that can be used to clean oil soaked birds after a oil spill to make sure it gets all the oil off,I found this out when we had a oil spill here in Tampa Bay Fla. this is the only Soap that is non-toxic to birds and therefore is safe to use on your own hands,I helped clean over a thousand birds and this soap works wonders at removing caked on oil on the birds.

Let me clear up a few things, The oils on your hands are not what hurts your cels it is the salts and amino acids in the oils that burn the finger prints into the cel. The oil just makes a mess and can be cleaned off.
Salt eats up steel ships just think what is doing to your cels?
I have done lots of research on this subject and this what I have found out about the subject.
The types of oil that will hurt your cels is a petroleum based type of oil like the kind found in hand creams and the like,This hydrocarbon based oil is kind of acidic(NOTE They make gas out of it!) and can burn the cel so make sure you clean your hands very well if you use hand creams or ointments.

Also be very careful using cotton gloves as they can scratch your cels also if they are new and still stiff,I have had this happen to me when I got a new pair to use.
The point is alot of things can hurt your cels just be as careful as you can be when handling them.
The thing that hurts most cels is putting them in folders that have pages that can bend and are not stiff, Make sure you put a backing board in all pages of your cel books, This will help to keep the lines on front and the paint from coming off the cel.
I hope this helps out some.
Roy
RahOtaku
Kamisama - God

Post by RahOtaku »

I never directly lick my cels...

But I do try to lick off all the pizza sauce and grease that I may still have on my fingers before unpacking cels

Do you guys do that?

I mean pizza stains are bad.

Ahhh... How cute!!! :cat Image
Magical Kitty Transformation!
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

RahOtaku wrote:

Especially when you sit in them. :D
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

I wear cotton gloves..............smeared with oil..............when I clean my weapon.................swords and stuff :wink:

Think that I should try them on cels too 8O
Last edited by glorff on Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
RahOtaku
Kamisama - God

Post by RahOtaku »

All of my swords are 440 Surgical Steel...

So really I can take a shower with mine...

It'll never rust.

Hey, Kymera.... Do you think Aernath showers with her ichigo Genga's?

Ahhh... How cute!!! :cat Image
Magical Kitty Transformation!
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

In_Gabriel_We_Trust wrote:
RahOtaku wrote:

Especially when you sit in them. :D
But if you rinse them in cold water right away they don't stain permanently.
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

RahOtaku wrote: Hey, Kymera.... Do you think Aernath showers with her ichigo Genga's?
It's one of the reasons why she laminates them or as she calls it "the full
body condom treatment".
RalphVboy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RalphVboy »

Well, I fall under the "never use cotton gloves" category like so many others :emb I think Blueheaven nailed the reason why I don't bother with 'em as the cels I buy are for myself. If I leave a few fingerprints that turn out to damage the cel later on, then whoops! My bad >_< Regardless, I'll be enjoying these cels as long as they last ^_^

- RalphVboy
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

RalphVboy wrote:Well, I fall under the "never use cotton gloves" category like so many others :emb I think Blueheaven nailed the reason why I don't bother with 'em as the cels I buy are for myself. If I leave a few fingerprints that turn out to damage the cel later on, then whoops! My bad >_< Regardless, I'll be enjoying these cels as long as they last ^_^

- RalphVboy
That is true but I wanna keep them FOREVER!!!!! (FOR MYSELF :dwink) if I were selling them I would not care :dsmoke :P
Cats rule!