I am weak and need to know that I am not the only one.

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
bulma_gt
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by bulma_gt »

I sooo know what you're talking about... when I found out about cels at AX2001 I was amazed that I could buy them but also at the price.... so I said 'ok, I'll get only a few and that's it'.

But we all know that the 'that's it' never works.

I havent joined the BWA (yet) and I hope not to do it. But still YJ has been taking the money away from me during the last months. Ahh it's so hard to say no to those lovely beautiful cels. :D
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

BWA? I guess I should be glad I don't know what that is? :evil:

No, you are not alone. I am struggling to stick to my "only buy if it's really, REALLY awesome/you're really, REALLY in love with it" but it doesn't seem to be working. I keep giving in to cute, cheap cels that I could certainly live without, but buy anyway X| I have to stop that, seriously.
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Re: I am weak and need to know that I am not the only one.

Post by Krafty »

glorff wrote:I actually bid in the Big auction and I did it on a cel from a series that I swore that I would never buy from again.
That's cool, it must have been special for you to come out of 'retirement' for that single piece and I think you should go for it!
It's obviously important to you whether you consciously belive that or not. I'm sure that if you won, it'd be one of the best purchases you could have made and you'd be thankful.

One of my dream cels passed me by the other day, I hoped to get a Ninja Scroll cel in the BWA for under 40,000y but it ended at over 54,000y with the 10% commission on top. I can't pay that sort of money for one image, it wasn't even a Key cel and I'm sure the douga was stuck!
It really annoyed me because I promised myself to concentrate on this movie, I'll have to rethink things if that is the current state of play.

As you say, Glorff, these auctions have bids that are over-inflated, especially when you add on the commission. Mind you, I was even outbid on a regular Everyday Auction today so my luck must be out this week :(

I still think you should add a little more to the pot for that cel, Glorff. You can always obtain more money but artwork only comes around once.
Forget what the over-positive people say about getting second chances and sequence mates, that's often false hope.
Best of luck!
purplewiz
Anime Geek

Post by purplewiz »

You're not alone.

I finally counted the number of cel books I have because I had to box them up to get them out of the way while the new carpeting was installed. I was...appalled.

And yet I still look at cels for sale....silly me.

Marcia.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I, too, paticipated in this BWA.

I also participated in the last couple of BWA, but the only difference is that I actually won a few items this time around.

Sounds like we'd make for one heck of an AAA(in this case, anime addicts anonymous) meeting.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

looks at bank account....

looks at BWA...

Looks at bank account again......

The empty bank account was a main reason I didn't go for some of those $2000 items...

Hey Cutie! What did you get?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

RoboFlonne wrote:Hey Cutie! What did you get?
Well...Since I alluded to it another post, I'll mention for now that I won the Officer Seiya cel. I also posted a Galaxia cel that I won from Mandarake in my 'coming soon' section.

However, the remaining 5 cels...I've decided to keep mum on the subject. /no1

See....I spend my overtime money on cels, so when I feel that I have 'earned' enough OT money to compensate for the cost of each piece, I'll post it in the gallery.
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by genomexec »

What is the BWA...?
irmgaard
Senpai - Elder

Post by irmgaard »

genomexec wrote:What is the BWA...?
Mandarake's [shadow=red]B[/shadow]ig [shadow=red]W[/shadow]eb [shadow=red]A[/shadow]uction. Held four times a year. The last one recently ended and is still being discussed here:
http://www.anime-beta.net/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=19

The next one will be here before you know it! :D