How are your acquisitions this year?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

How are your acquisitions this year?

Post by Keropi »

I checked my cel/sketch purchases for this year and so far this year I've only had 14 purchases/auction wins. Last year at this time I had about 23-24 purchases/auction wins. So I'm down roughly 38% this year.

How are you guys doing this year?
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I bought 4 cels and one original artwork. So, I guess that counts as 5 total. I am not planning to buy anymore this year though.

Last year, I a total of 5 artworks. So, I broke even.
My goal next year is to cut down to 2 because I just cannot afford as much these days. No problems finding things that I am looking for. Just oh so expensive!
DragonShiryu
Anime Geek

Post by DragonShiryu »

This is not really surprising considering you buy Disney cels worth the amount of small cars.
star-phoenix wrote:I bought 4 cels and one original artwork. So, I guess that counts as 5 total. I am not planning to buy anymore this year though.

Last year, I a total of 5 artworks. So, I broke even.
My goal next year is to cut down to 2 because I just cannot afford as much these days. No problems finding things that I am looking for. Just oh so expensive!
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

Wow...If I go by how many starting since 09' I managed to pull 28. That is an unghastly amount...I need to cut down a bit OAO

In 08' I only pulled 13....I more than doubled that. I was on a cel buying spree it seems. Luckily, I love em' all, and don't regret any of the purchases or sales I've made :D

But as far as what I've gotten...I got one of my super mega omg I can't believe it wishlists this year...I think that in itself made this year worth it, this may be a hard year to top in both acquisitions and quality (seeing as I still have more on the way!) XDDDD
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

I'm definitely buying less and less, but somehow I think I spent roughly the same amount of money. ^^;
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I've definitely slowed down, a factor of learning to live more frugally during retirement. I had about 30 updates in 2007 (counting additions on nearby days as one), only 20 in 2008, and ten so far in 2009. Interestingly, when I counted SMJ invoices, the slowdown didn't seem as dramatic: 160 wins in 2007 (including quite a few bids that I made on behalf of my friend Vapalla), 48 in 2008, and 46 so far in 2009. Then I remembered that in 2007-08 I was also buying regularly from Anicyo as well. And purchases from gallery offers have, I think, been about the same.

On the other hand, I think that in quality I had diabolically good luck in 2008, and I've been very happy with my additions in 2009. Less money doesn't have to mean less quality, just more lurking and more hard thinking before I hit the "confirm bid" button: "Is this something I really want?"
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

Way down from last year. It is mainly due to the fact that I have not found anything I wanted in a long time. I just bought a cel recently after having not bought a thing for 3-4 months.

Not that I am complaining, less stress on the bank account.
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

I don't have actual numbers but I'm certain I bought less this year however it seems I've spent about the same... :? My losing streak on YJ continues as well so I guess that explain the "less" part too.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I've bought less and spent more. :D
JuniorMintKiss
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by JuniorMintKiss »

My purchases were down quite a bit this year, mainly due to remodeling the living room this year. I have only bought 4 cels and have 3 fan cels being made as I post this.
iwakuralain16

Post by iwakuralain16 »

waaay down from previous years. I think i may of only bought 10 cels this year... O_O!!
This is due to a lack of cels that I have seen on auction that I want... or on sale sites.

There have been a few that I REALLY want.. but then I don't want to spend the money on them. LOL Maybe if they were half off... but one can only dream. LOL
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

I have bought a lot less this year. Although I am watching my spending, that is not really the main cause. I have always had a private wish list. (The list in my gallery is a bit abbreviated and dated). I am pretty much a cel/background collector. With no more cel-based anime coming out, my wish list has been getting steadily smaller over the years. For example, there are currently 13 closed sections in my cel gallery. A significant portion of the remaining cels on my list are ones that I will probably never see for sale.

Between my attempts to pull back from impulse purchases and not finding much from my wish list available, I have bought only about 40% of what I bought in 2008 (which was still lower than in 2007). Unfortunately, I do not see this trend improving no matter how much the economy improves in the future. :l
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

actually instead of buying, i sold a good portion of my collection. and i dont think i bought that many cels this year.

*Edit* DANG! i actually went back and looked over what id bought in 2009 and (if you dont count the copy batman backgrounds that i got), i only got maybe 10 things this year (cels and sketches inc).
wow i thought id bought more. 8O
choka162
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by choka162 »

I just added up my purchases for last year and this year and wow! Yeah it totally did not seem like that much at the time lol. All things considered though I'm about equal.

I've bought more cels this year than 2008, but less overall. I do seem to be spending more per item though ^^;
DragonShiryu
Anime Geek

Post by DragonShiryu »

I don't think I've bought as much this year. Even though everyone and their mother is selling off their collections, there hasn't been much out there I find interesting, and the stuff I do find interesting is totally overpriced. :x Not to mention exchange rates are HORRIBLE. Having said all that, however, I managed to get three "dream" items this year so I guess it's not all bad. Actually, I got the three items in the incredible span of a week so maybe things are terrible.