2009 Year in Review & 2010 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

1. The best thing that's happened to your gallery/collection.

It's been a good year overall, esp for sketches. Added a few new titles to my collection, something I hardly ever do.

2. The most surprising thing that has happened to your gallery/collection.

Got a few wishlist items that I'd never expected to be available. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask :wink:

3. Thing that concerns you about your collecting experience.

Nothing unusual this year. It's been an ongoing trend that artwork supply for certain series seems to be drying up. But for the past three years, unexpected gems still appear when collectors sell their items due to the bad economy.

4. A cel/sketch-related resolution for 2010.

To scan all my sketches and take good care of all my artwork....it's getting more challenging as my collection grows.

5. Did you stay true to your cel/sketch-related resolution posted in 2009?

Yikes, no. I spent more this year than the last. But I can't help it when opportunities keep popping up...hopefully next year I can slow down.
toonybabe

Post by toonybabe »

I found this piece of production art: http://likeabutterfly.rubberslug.com/ga ... mID=286242

Also, I found a great dealer who can make all of my Secret of NIMH wishlist dreams come true - all I have to do is raise the funds!

In this thread 2008 I was bragging about how many Unico cels I found, but now they have dried up! I purchased a really expensive set of genga/douga at the beginning of the year from Mandarake's BWA, but after that I saw almost no Unico in the Island of Magic cels.

I am also surprised at how the entire production art market has dried up, as well as the posts here on AB (no one has any updates to post about!).

I was more concerned last year about the amount of money I spend on cels, but I think I did a good job this year of spending less money. I will have two of my 3 credit cards paid off in a couple weeks and less money spent on cels this year compared to last year. Instead of buying more cels I made a huge purchase for school: a new Macbook pro, the Adobe creative suite and a Wacomb Intuos tablet. Also it was easier to not buy cels because there were less of them on the market to tempt me.

I want to find more wishlist cels but spend less money. I also passed up a couple of cels this year that I regret. I need to get better at judging which cels to bid on and which to pass by.

Not at all! I didn't make it to Anime Expo or Comic Con, I didn't put more effort into my gallery scheme (I just reused old set-ups), and I didn't get around to organizing or cataloging my collection (I am actually gearing up to do that next week, as soon as the cels bags arrive in the mail). In my defense, college has been taking up all of my time. I graduate in a year and half and I am putting all of my time and effort into producing quality work so I can find some kind of job when I get out.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I find it really fun to see how many people kept to their resolutions from previous years. Personally, I'm terrible with such things! :D
mako

Post by mako »

Bought many cels that I really like to own, but they are not in the wishlist... lol

1st. Didnt update the gallery since Feb... just cant believe it. (that I am soo busy or lazy... :flushie)
2nd. I bought over 300 cels this year... (more than I owned previously... /omg )

Nothing really... maybe I'll need more :$$$: to spend next year...

get the gallery update... maybe.... /pif

No, didnt do that last year... /heh
cscratch
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by cscratch »

Every piece I bought this year I still love - looking back through the gallery for the purchases I made this year, I still get excited looking at them instead of just feeling so-so about them by the time the year winds down. I am satisfied with what I decided to really go for this year even if I spent more & am proud that the gallery is taking shape.

My **Coming Soon** section pretty much sums it up for me.

Although there haven't been a huge number of pieces from the series I collect this year, the quality of pieces available this year have been outstanding - there have been some items for auction that I never expected to see for sale. Even though I was out of the running for many, they have been fun to watch! I am excited to see what the new year brings in terms of selection but apprehensive that I won't be able to get any of them!

Mine is pretty much the same every year - make sure I have the resources available when a really nice piece pops up (especially since it isn't very often that one does) so I can jump on it.

Though I didn't post it last year, I wanted to buy only pieces that I really wanted or felt rounded out my collection & I am very satisfied with my purchases. I felt this would limit my spending & be better for my long-term enjoyment of the hobby. I think it has!
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Once again I can answer all the questions with "The same as last year".

And if you take the time to search for last years thread you will find it very similar too. :D :D :D
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

1. Best thing that's happened:
Acquiring many Mezzo Forte setups from my friend Startyde. Much appreciated because he is one of the greatest Mezzo collectors out there. At least handing them over to my care is like keeping them in the family, *heh*

2. Most surprising thing that has happened:
The 'to scan/organise' mass has grown exponentially, it measures around 8-9ft long. I know where to locate most things in the various piles, but I'd love for these to all be displayed online. That's the dream!

3. What concerns me:
I often fall for a pretty face when it comes to anime art. As such I pay more than I should for appealing images and purchase pieces I really don't need if I am to maintain a focused collection.

4. A cel/sketch-related resolution for 2010:
Sell more- be RUTHLESS; buy less.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

We started collecting hentai. :bny :bny

We started collecting hentai. :bny :bny
Oh and we made the possibly unwise decision of organizing the beta awards this year. :P

3. Things that concern you about your collecting experience.
We could buy a car with the amount of money we put into artwork every year.

Buy less, start paying the loans. :wink:

N/A.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

Angelic-Lair wrote: Oh and we made the possibly unwise decision of organizing the beta awards this year. :P
:rollin
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

Krafty wrote:

4. A cel/sketch-related resolution for 2010:
Sell more- be RUTHLESS; buy less.

I'm liking the first part :D
ginga123

Post by ginga123 »

Nothing really spectacular happened to my gallery this year, but I am happy that I added new Animation Titles. I really liked adding more GoDannar sketches, setti/model sheets.

Besides adding a Clamp series...buying a Mistress Nine cel at auction on Yahoo Japan for $75, applicable fees included. :D

I noticed it was more difficult for me to attain new artwork at a reasonable price and within budget as the dollar value decreased when exchange rates were involved. I was also readjusting to earning part-time income. I bought less acetate in 2009 and expanded my CG series by adding more sketches from different shows. I also noticed that I spent more on artwork at the end of this year compared to 2008. I noticed this trend about a year or so ago that I tend to find more cels, sketches, etc. for sale that I like at year's end. This trend seems to continue and it does concern me a bit because I also have regular extra expenses (car insurance, tag renewal, etc.) during the last 3 months of the year.

Add more artwork from the Sailor Stars and continue with what I've been doing with the CG and Hotaru sections.

Yes, I did actually. My resolution was to work on my Sailor Moon section and I feel that I have accomplished that goal. (I just haven't posted any of it yet.)
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
kizu

Post by kizu »

Oops... Ignore! :hitting: