Cel Shops

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Cel Shops

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Does anyone know of any actual shops to look for cels in the Kansai area? Osaka and Kyoto mostly. I know of Mandarake and I think Kbooks sometimes has stuff. But I heard there used to be a shop called Anime iLand in Osaka, though it seems to have disappeared. Any info would be awesome, thanks!
benten
Kamisama - God

Re: Cel Shops

Post by benten »

This web page lists several cel shops:

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~animecel/eanimecelcom.htm

Unfortunately, many of the links are dead. The website lists Anime i-land, Anime Stardust, Collection Mall, Digi MAX (cel shop name is supposedly Animax), Panic MediaMix, and, of course, Mandarake as having a physical presence in Osaka. Hobby Shop K ( http://www.hobbyshopk.com/ ) is listed as being in Kyoto.

Digi MAx site (in Japanese) is:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/nihon-max-enterprise/
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Granted, I only went to Mandarake Osaka once in October 2008, but, in terms of cels, the store did not have a good supply. Mandarake Osaka is a more of a cosplay store, and they're chock full of cospa stuff, and lots of manga. They only had a small table of cels (dollar bin stuff). I picked up a few cels but I find that your best bet is still Mandarake Nakano. I've heard that all the good stuff goes there. I don't know how accurate that is, but every time I've been to MN, I always take home something.
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Thanks for the replies :) Panic and DigiMax look promising, I just need to spend some more time trying to find them on the map XD I wish Google could locate the addresses better, and let me go down side streets whilst in street view... As for Nakano, yup, it has lots of great cel shops on the third or fourth floor. It's definitely nice to see the cels in person but the majority of them go up on YAJ anyways XD I actually found a couple cels I had regretted passing up on at Anime Commit (Comet?) which is run by someone who has lots of cel auctions each week on YAJ. And I'm almost certain that most of the really nice ones go up on YAJ and only enter the store if they've been passed over. It was both funny and kind of disappointing that I was looking forward to checking out Nakano only to find out I'm better off shopping from my computer at home >.< Hey, at least no shipping and handling...heh.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Anime Commit is twin_angels_xx's shop :)

Most of his stuff is on YJ first, and then, if no one buys it after 4 weeks, it appears in his store. But some of the stuff, like the unlabeled backgrounds and a lot of the lower end sketches in his store aren't ever featured on YJ. His store was always kind of a grab bag for me - It's like Vegas for me - I go in with a 10,000 yen bill and see how far it goes.

I like that Mandarake Nakano has a separate section for the 'higher end' cels/sketches. I've found interesting things there in the past.

Keep us posted on whether the selection in Osaka pans out. I might have to re-check them out should I head back :)
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Will do ;) Google maps is proving useless though, in English and Japanese XD I may just have to go to an information center and try my luck from there. Besides, I'll need all the help I can get. I can find my way around Tokyo, but Namba station always gets me completely turned around. It doesn't help that there are two or three "Namba" stations (between the subway, JR station etc) @_@
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

If my memory serves me, Mandarake Osaka was in an odd location. It's in a shopping arcade in Namba, and I think that's right underneath a big overpass. It's a bit of a walk away from the subway station. If you can read kanjii, it'll help as, back in 2008, the signage was pretty poor. But if not, you might end up walking around quite a bit until you find it.I remember that the shopping arcade was a bit red-light district-y with lots of yakitori and hostess bars, so if you go when it's dark, just be careful.

Does the Mandarake site have any instructions? I'd email them if you can't find anything.

About the only thing I remember was that across the street that there was a 100 yen drink vending machine. Figures I'd remember one of those :hurt:
Thanatos
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Thanatos »

Well, sorry, but I have a question in the subject but not really in :).

From what I have seen, today, they are not many shops online where you can buy cels. Some pages like Alternative keeptrack listen some of this shops, but I've never seen a thread on Anime-Beta listing the different sites. Why not (even if I have an idea about the answer) :) ?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Thanatos wrote: From what I have seen, today, they are not many shops online where you can buy cels. Some pages like Alternative keeptrack listen some of this shops, but I've never seen a thread on Anime-Beta listing the different sites. Why not (even if I have an idea about the answer) :) ?
Probably because we have one on RS. But honestly, it never occurred to me to make a page like that on Beta, probably because most of the users have been around for a while and know where to get their stuff. And if we do get a newbie, they generally ask and we provide them with links and advice.

I'd be surprised if, after how many years, we didn't have a least one topic where a variety of links to online cel dealers can be found. 8)
Thanatos
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Thanatos »

cutiebunny wrote:
Thanatos wrote: From what I have seen, today, they are not many shops online where you can buy cels. Some pages like Alternative keeptrack listen some of this shops, but I've never seen a thread on Anime-Beta listing the different sites. Why not (even if I have an idea about the answer) :) ?
Probably because we have one on RS. But honestly, it never occurred to me to make a page like that on Beta, probably because most of the users have been around for a while and know where to get their stuff. And if we do get a newbie, they generally ask and we provide them with links and advice.

I'd be surprised if, after how many years, we didn't have a least one topic where a variety of links to online cel dealers can be found. 8)
It's not wrong. But I think a stick topic woul be great for better clarity.

And I searched a little on the forum, and I didn't found a topic like the one we are speaking of (well, it can very well be that I missed it :)).
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

there probably isnt a thread for cel shops links because as cutie pointed out most older collectors know the links to the cel sites. also most of the old cel sites are no longer in business.