2023 Year in Review & 2024 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

2023 Year in Review & 2024 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Post by cutiebunny »

It's time for the YiR/Resolution thread! Sensei began this post back in 2006, and with my (occasional) help, it's become a Rubberslug tradition for almost 2 decades. Now it returns for its 18th year. Hopefully, everyone is doing well as I think this is a first where the YiR was started in January. Guess only us ol' dinos use this board anymore :hurt:

1. What was the best thing that's happened to your gallery/collection in 2023?

2. What was the most surprising thing that happened to your gallery/collection this year?

3. Which piece were you most proud of acquiring in 2023?

4. What's something that concerns you about your collecting experience?

5. What cel/sketch-related resolution do you want to make for 2024?

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution for 2023 or for 2022 (or any year, we're really not picky now lol), how true did you stay to it?

I'll post my answers later. Considering how popular last year's thread was, I will most likely post twice in a row on this thread.
Last edited by cutiebunny on Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: 2023 Year in Review & 2024 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Post by cutiebunny »

June marked my 20th year in this hobby. If there is a collecting equivalent of the "I'm a senior citizen, where's my discount?" shirt, I need it.

On a personal note, 2023 was a very difficult year for me. Both of my parents ended up having serious health problems in September and every day felt like a no-win situation either between medical workers, businesses, relatives, my parents or some combination thereof. Let me that I absolutely hate how much California prioritizes preventing elder abuse to the point where it makes things impossible to aid elderly parents who are unable to fill out forms due to dementia and hospice care. This has not been fun and I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

I made it 20 years in this hobby. If you had asked in 2003 if I felt that I would still be collecting after 20 years, that would have been a resounding no. I felt like those first few years was just a push to buy as much nice stuff as I could because the supply would only decrease. I was not aware that there was non-production artwork that I could collect. So while my focus has been off cels for roughly 15 years, I am still buying artwork, just not as often.

2. What was the most surprising thing that happened to your gallery/collection this year?

I don't think I logged into Rubberslug once this year. Haven't updated this year. Haven't scanned anything this year. I didn't buy much this year and even then, I felt no urge to rush out to share it. Not that I intended to be a black hole collector, but I certainly felt like one this year.

Collection-wise, I found a matching background to a cel that I have owned for years. I spent way more just for the matching background alone that I did for the cel, but they're reunited now.

I also went to 2 conventions this year, Summer SacAnime and Otakon. I went to SacAnime largely because it was the first time I had seen Toshio Maeda since the pandemic. I was happy to see that he was doing well and he was still around. I also met Don Bluth there and it was a disappointing experience. This man and his movies were my childhood. My now-deceased childhood friend and I spent hours playing with our Land Before Time and Fievel plushies as little tykes. Anastasia is part of my yearly Christmas viewing tradition. But after buying a pricey commission and for him to spend less than 5 minutes actually working on the sketch (most of which he spent looking at the Anastasia poster as a reference), I feel nothing but disgust. About the only part of the experience I enjoyed was meeting fellow olds while standing in line, all of us talking about how important his movies were to us as children.

I received 3 of the sketches I had purchased as part of a nengajo set. They're all really lovely and the artist did a fantastic job.

I am concerned with how conventions treat those with disabilities. My two closest friends both have mobility issues. Standing in autograph lines for hours is impossible for them. Having them navigate large convention centers takes extra time and often requires the use of elevators. I usually act as their aide and because of this, I often obtain a disability sticker after explaining this to staff.

While convention staff have long loathed us sketch collectors, the disability sticker just gives them an added tool to screw us over. At Otakon, we would often arrive to the autograph lines early due to the extra time needed and for staff to usher us to special seating areas. Often, we were not accommodated, and my friends were forced to stand for long periods of time. We were often ignored, and during one autograph session, we were in the front for roughly an hour, and they selected everyone but us to proceed into the autograph line. When asked about it and pointing to the disability badge sticker, staff said that was because we were always first to arrive, and they didn't want to reward that behavior. It was only when we threatened to report the instance that staff changed their stance. Staff was overly hostile to me and several times, they told me that I could not obtain an autograph as an aide to a disabled attendee. This was a bone of contention that I raised every time they tried to bring it up. If conventions want to tout their accessibility, punishing those trying to help disabled friends and family members is not the way to go about doing that.

Price and supply has always been a concern. I don't see much that I absolutely want and the majority of things that now come up for auction are higher than what I would like to pay. I recall how much I bought when I first started in 2003 and how the days of huge deputy service boxes every few months are long gone for me. It's a sad realization that, were I to start my collecting journey today, I could never have the collection that I have now.

I had a good laugh at Heritage Auction when they told one of my friends who wanted to sell some Sailor Moon cels on their platform that they were only interested in cels featuring Sailor Moon herself and that other characters, like Sailor Jupiter, were minor characters. According to them, anyone not Sailor Moon is a minor character :P

I really need to get a protector for the oversized sketch. I've been dragging my feet on it for too long, but seeing as how Izumi Matsumoto has long been gone, the best way I can honor him is by preserving what he drew.

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution for 2023 or for 2022 (or any year, we're really not picky now lol), how true did you stay to it?

I didn't touch any resolution I made in 2023.
Last edited by cutiebunny on Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

I didn't do anything with my RS gallery... But, no one can upload any images now.
Now, when I haven't updated my gallery... and no one can upload any images... my gallery has become the most visited on Rubberslug. :shrug

The coolest 8) cel I got in 2023 is this Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust cel:

But, I got some other really great pieces, including a Garo sketch from Vanishing Line and an awesome cel of Oda Nobunaga from Peacock King:

Cel prices are all over the place, but trending on the expensive side. X| Heritage Auctions might become the go to place for collectors to get cels, but it looks like it might be too high-roller for the likes of me. :o More cels for sale seem to be suffering from vinegar syndrome, or from other types of damage. :x
I hope Rubberslug's problems get worked out, and hopefully there will be more activity on the board this year.
I'm more about the YiR and less about the resolutions. :D

Happy 2024! :yay
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

Happy new year to everyone.

My muuseo account hit 10000 visitors by the end of year. Not really a huge number since I didn't upload a lot. I decided only to upload the best of quality ones to this account. Funny fact is that I upload a few ones and the number hit 12000 in next couple days.
Here is my muuseo: https://muuseo.com/dccollection

Anime NYC 2023 I meet YAMAZAKI Kore. I brought my Mahoutsukai no Yome: Hoshi Matsu Hito blue ray disk with George Wada's signature back in anime NYC 2022 for her to sign. She asked who was the other sign? I told him that's Wada san. She and the other co-workers were both shocked.
And more interesting thing is that George Wada was signing right at the neighboring booth. I show this co-signed blue ray over 2 years to him and he was shocked too and said "sugoi".

https://ntmarie.weebly.com/20232418032456.html

I am going to graduate this year and picking up the next place to live is the concern. I will need to find a job first I guess haha.

Hit 1000 series and try to go to more events.

I hit 900 series which is more than 800. Thank mandarake.
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/