How long have you been collecting?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

As of Jan 1, 2005, how long have you been collecting cels?

Less than 1 year
13%
1-2 years
17%
2-3 years
13%
3-4 years
11%
4-5 years
16%
5+ years
30%

Total votes: 63

Drax
Kamisama - God

Post by Drax »

I'd have to guess and say about a year. The first cel I remember seeing on ebay was Gene from outlaw star sitting next to his um friend that the Cartoon Network completely edited out. I wish I knew where that cel is today. Anyhow, the first cel I bought was of Cowboy Punch from Cowboy Bebop. And who can I blame for this addiction, why the people at C-kon may the con rest in peace for allowing me the chance to buy a signed art print by Toshihiro Kawamoto of CowBoy Bebop KOHD and a Groundwork of Evangelion book signed by Hideaki Anno. Curse them all for fueling this burning need inside me for tangible Anime objects. :D
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

Fireye wrote:And here I thought that I would be held responsible for getting Weyrlady addicted!
You *are* responsible. It's all your fault! If you hadn't shown me those Inu Yasha cels right before they had the sale, I would have been fine. ^^;

Anyway. *coughs* Welcome to the forum! Or, um, welcome back, I guess, seeing when you joined. Heh, with you, me, and Rei, we've got three "generations" of collectors on here, in a way.

And Rei, I *swear* I thought you collected before I mentioned the sale to you. ^^; Really, I did.
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
Krafty
Custodian of Records

First cels, ahhh!

Post by Krafty »

Mid-2000, I think that's when my cel collecting really took off, that's when I joined Ebay ^__^

My first cels however were from Akira, and I got several back in 1995/96 when a store here in England had a promotion whereby you'd get a free Akira cel for each Manga Entertainment film you bought. I was only 16 at the time but I emptied out my savings account (thankyou Mum + Dad) to purchase tons of videos. I still remember the big bags of Akira cels the stores had, oohhh, wish I could go back in time because I'd rob the store without a second thought, honestly!

my first cels included these:
http://www.bbakira.co.uk/cels/mine/injpeople.htm
http://www.bbakira.co.uk/cels/mine/gang1.htm
http://www.bbakira.co.uk/cels/mine/kan3.htm
http://www.bbakira.co.uk/cels/mine/colon2.htm
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

My first cel purchase was on July 15, 2000 (still have the e-mail record on this computer). I remember that I really wanted that cel, but I couldn't be in town to mind the auction (we were visiting potential colleges for my daughter who since has graduated, in fact earlier this month). I posted a big reserve bid before I left town and so, naturally, I radically overpaid for it when another bidder did the same thing just before the end of the auction.

However, I'd had a secret longing for owning cels before that, as I could vividly remember visiting NYC around 1970 and seeing some high-end cels from "Yellow Submarine" for sale in one of the stores. I had enough money in my pocket to buy one of them (they were priced around $50 IIRC) ... but it was a lot to spend back then in pre-inflation days ... so I took the money instead to Sam Goody's and bought LPs with it (all of which are now horribly obsolete).

Later I realized how stupid I'd been, with even minor cels for YS trading in the hundreds and low thousands. So even though I overpaid for this one, I was determined not to make the same mistake.

I will say that it took me another six months to purchase my first cel book, another 15 months to need my second one, and then somehow about a year ago they started multiplying like rabbits in my closet.
yukineko
Kamisama - God

Post by yukineko »

However, I'd had a secret longing for owning cels before that, as I could vividly remember visiting NYC around 1970 and seeing some high-end cels from "Yellow Submarine" for sale in one of the stores. I had enough money in my pocket to buy one of them (they were priced around $50 IIRC) ... but it was a lot to spend back then in pre-inflation days ... so I took the money instead to Sam Goody's and bought LPs with it (all of which are now horribly obsolete).
Heeeeeey! I think we met at the Otakon cel meeting! I remember hearing that story. :^^: I wouldn't have minded having those Yellow Submarine cels either! Granted... *blush* I was over a decade away from being born. :sweatdrop:

(Gosh I've been active on the boards this morning.)

Anyway, to add to the thread: It's been about five years for me. My first two cels were gifts from a friend who was probably tired of hearing me rave on about how cool cels were and how much I wanted one. She didn't know much about anime or cels in general, but asked me to pick a couple of cheapies out on my birthday and Christmas. While I still have (and will always have) those two cels, I'm sad to say I don't hear very much from my friend anymore. Her life got busier and changed muchly, but along with those cels she also gave me moral support in a time I really needed it.

Ok, enough mush from me. :wink:
Lady Brick
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Lady Brick »

Going on 4 years for me... got my first cel (Taka from FY OAV II) from Anime Chaos in Feb of 2001. Sold it not too long after because the stuck sketch reall bothered me ^^;; Luckily I had already been buying and selling on eBay for a good while at this point.
Last edited by Lady Brick on Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remi
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Remi »

Going on 5 years for me... got my first cel (Taka from FY OAV II) from Anime Chaos in Feb of 2001.
Math nerd in me jumps out, but that puts you at just under 4 years. :P
It will be aroudn 4 and half years for me. Not so long compared to some...but long enough, I'd think! My first purchase was from Museum for some DBZ genga.
Taro perhaps? :crazy Museum has only been around like 2-3 years I think.
Lady Brick
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Lady Brick »

Remi wrote:
Going on 5 years for me... got my first cel (Taka from FY OAV II) from Anime Chaos in Feb of 2001.
Math nerd in me jumps out, but that puts you at just under 4 years. :P
Bleh, I actually can count. I just can't type :l
c o l l e c t i v e
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by c o l l e c t i v e »

i started collecting animation cels in the summer of 1994, but my first anime cel was purchased in August of '99. luckily, i limit myself to shows i work with... otherwise, i'd need a part-time job to pay for the addiction.
Belldandy
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Belldandy »

I think my first cel purchase was somewhere around 1998 or 1999? Remember when CPM was selling cels? At least I'm pretty sure it was CPM, it was one of the anime companies, they had some cels up on their web site and I had to get two Battle Skipper cels. I had looked at some cels before, but I could afford these! I was hooked, of course, and have been collecting ever since. Too bad I still can't really affored cels, as much as I'd like anyway :l
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

I got my first cel in late 2001- early 2002 (can't remember >_<) It was a Yuu Yuu Hakusho cel of Hiei and Kuwabara. I decided to get it since I wanted to see what was so good about cels. When I got it I decided to start collecting :P But, I didn't get any more cels till late Nov-Dec 2002 ^^;;

And then in 2003 I really started to collect :)

Basically I got serious about collecting when I fell in love with Yugioh :D
rayd
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rayd »

I would have to say Nov. '99 is when i first started. Has it been that long, time flys when your hunting for cel and other anime stuff. /heh
naria
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by naria »

I think in June 2001 is when I originally started collecting. Then, I "retired", only to start up again in March 2003.
Court
Kamisama - God

Post by Court »

This topic freaked me out when I realized how fast time has flied. I bought my first cel at 19 and I'm 26 now. YIKES!
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

yeah, that'd freak me out to, court.
Last edited by kira on Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.