so whats everyone up to?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

When was your last SM cel purchase?

1 day ago
14%
1 week ago
10%
1 month ago
24%
2-6 months ago
19%
6-11 months ago
5%
1 year +
10%
you mean people still collect for SM?
19%

Total votes: 21

midnightdance
Kishin - Fierce God

so whats everyone up to?

Post by midnightdance »

Whenever I go looking through the updated Rubberslug galleries, its rare now a days that I see updates for new sailor moon cels!
So i was curious if people are still out there collecting and not updating, or if SM is once again falling off the market?

Looking at ebay today I was surprised to see some nice generals cels up for auction! Wish those were up 3 years ago when I wanted them so badly! Y! jp cels seem to come in rounds! I love the Venus henshin there right now but cannot afford it! She is the only one i have yet to collect for a henshin scene of the inner senshi! I dread the day I look to collecting the outers! (congrads to the person who just got the uranus henshin! that was amazing)
Well I don't know if I have yet to ramble enough but if anyone else feels the need this would be a great thread for it!

nikki n
buttrflym
Kishin - Fierce God

Hmmm

Post by buttrflym »

Hi,
You know there really just hasn't been anything out there if you ignore Mandarake. Bought my last one about a month ago. Kind of happy there hasn't been much lately with the holidays but I would like to add another beauty to my collection. Hope to update my gallery soon. What has everyone grabbed? Take care.

buttrflym
LunaArt
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by LunaArt »

Hmmm, well I did win a few gems from Mandarake's BWA including the Hotaru pan cel, which was a dream come true! I'm super excited about seeing it in person. :love2 And I did win a couple of much more reasonably priced cels on YJ this past week. I probably had my longest dry spell ever before that, though. Buttrflym is right, YJ had really dried up until last week. I would have loved to have that Serenity cel that popped up on YJ last week, but it was a bit too pricey IMO. :roll:

I've noticed that gallery updates have been slowing down quite a bit also. Even Rubberslug updates have been few and far between.

Speaking of updates . . . I've been working on one for a month now. It has taken me a bit longer than usual because I'm working on re-doing a few of the graphics colors. Some of them were downright awful and I have been meaning to change them for a while. I won't promise that all the obnoxious colors are gone, but I'm liking the changes so far. I'm hoping that I will have the update completed by this weekend. :^^: I just need to do some cleanup and get my for sale pages updated with some new cels :wink: and I'll be ready to upload!

Thus endeth my rambling . . . :)
~Luna-Art >^.^<

Rubberslug version: http://lunaart.rubberslug.com
OnWingedFeet
Anime Geek

Re: so whats everyone up to?

Post by OnWingedFeet »

Well I went a few months without getting anything new, but within the last month I have three new cels. The first was a Christmas present and is already on my Rubberslug gallery. One was from Yahoo Japan and is here but not yet uploaded. The third is still on its way. Nothing too fancy, and they all feature Sailor Mercury (big shock there).

You're right about the selection on Yahoo Japan coming in waves. They seem to have the same core group of cels relisted over and over, and then every once in awhile there's a whole bunch of fresh ones. The one I like right now (outside of that Mercury introduction pose for 50,000 yen which will never happen) is the group shot in front of the temple. Unfortunately with my recent purchases, I can't afford it. Maybe nobody will buy it and the seller will keep relisting until I can get some extra money. How do sellers keep relisting over and over like that anyway? Don't they have to pay a fee for listing an auction, or do they just pay when it sells?

Anyways, just wanted to let you know that there are still SM collectors around. Looking forward to hearing what new goodies everybody else has.

OnWingedFeet
How many software programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
None, that's a hardware problem.
SME
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SME »

I'm still collecting LOL ^^ I just haven't been able to afford the big cels, and Lisa, I can't wait to see your cels Sale page, maybe I'll find some more I like! Many many thanks to you for that lovely R Opening cel that you passed on to me! I oogle at it almost everyday LOL! And congrats on that Hotaru cel! It is such a beauty, but as I am a college student, there's no way I could afford the price it was going at. I watched it and my eyes bugged out 8O when I saw how much it was going for.

OnWingedFeet, I see you have one of my Mercury cels I sold in your collection. I'm glad it went to another Anime-Beta member, so I'm sure she'll have a good home. :)

I have a Mars Flame Sniper cel coming soon from Katrina, but I'm not sure if it is a bank (she wasn't sure either), so if anyone knows I'd love the extra help!

I'm bidding on a few smaller priced cels on Ebay right now, I really love that Mars one so I hope I get it. That's all I can really afford right now after the holidays, but I'm definitely still in the "gotta have all the cels" mode LOL!
  • "If us girls can't be strong, then we can't protect the boys we love." - Naoko Takeuchi
  • "Anyone who sees me has a date with his maker." - Shinigami
  • "WHAT!??! Men in pink!? How bizarre!" - Vegeta
  • This message has been approved by Welcome Consumer...got questions? She's got answers. :P
Mirai_Peorth
Senpai - Elder

Post by Mirai_Peorth »

My latest SM cels are of Cooan and Lead Crow. @_@; Both from a month or more ago. I still keep a sharp eye out for Crow. ^_^;; Although I'm still looking for that "perfect" Jadeite cel. He was my original favorite, after all.
"Practice safe Zechs - Use a Gundam." - Unknown
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

SM is one of my low-key series, where I'm happy to wait until a lower-priced cel comes along. So my SM cels are few and far between, and probably always will be-- I've yet to spend even $100 on any SM cel. Even so, those I've collected so far make me really, really happy, so I'm not going to stop any time soon.
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I have been trying to sell off my Chibi Chibhi cel for less than half the price I paid for last year and no bites. She was the rarest character of all the characters and no one is even interested enough in her. I personally think the series has become quite unpopular.
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

I don't think it's become unpopular at all- I think a ton of people love it and will always love it. However, Sailor Stars is the only season that hasn't seen a legitimate US release, so that may be part of it. ^^; Also, I think the holidays are probably not the best time to sell- I tried to sell my cel of the Void from CCS for less than half of what I've seen other cels from the same sequence go for, and no one wanted her at all. *shrugs* Well then, she gets to stay mine, you know?
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
LunaArt
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by LunaArt »

star-phoenix wrote:I personally think the series has become quite unpopular.
Hmmmm, IMHO I don't think this series has become unpopular per se. I just think it's suffering from the same overall cel market decline as many other older series. Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised at how well it has held up compared to many other series. At least that's the impression I get from reading other posts - I don't collect any other series, so I'm not 100% sure. It's pretty clear the market for SM cels has been declining since its peak a few years ago, but I'm still surprised on a regular basis at how well certain cels do. For instance, a Sailor Mars attack cel just sold for around 78,000yen on YJ. That's the highest I've ever seen a Mars bank cel sell for (and it deserved it - it was a perfect shot from her Burning Mandala attack).

The market for SM cels has always been unpredictable and certain characters seem to ebb and flow with time. When I first started collecting, Dark Kingdom characters were insanely popular. At the same time, Sailor Stars cels just sat on websites at nice cheap prices for months. I remember the first Chibi Chibi cel I ever bought (where she is holding her umbrella looking up at Usagi) sat unsold with a $150 pricetag on Anime Taro's site for several months. After constantly going back to look at her, I finally broke down and bought her. I'm glad I did because soon after, her popularity seemed to skyrocket.

It can be frustrating, I know. I've had some cels sit on my for sale page for a couple of years, but I've also had them sell after sitting there for a long time. Sailor Moon has become a classic therefore I think there will always some sort of a market for cels from this series. It just needs the right buyer to come along. :)
~Luna-Art >^.^<

Rubberslug version: http://lunaart.rubberslug.com
midnightdance
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by midnightdance »

LunaArt wrote: For instance, a Sailor Mars attack cel just sold for around 78,000yen on YJ. That's the highest I've ever seen a Mars bank cel sell for
I just wish MORE would show up! I truly hope to see an update this weekend lisa!!!

I don't think its so much that the cel is becoming unpopular as its that the people that have Sailor Moon cels are holding on to them more, therefore I think its harder for dealers to get them which slows down on how much some people can get them.
People are also holding out more too I think, I could be wrong. I know I haven't try to really sell a Sailor Moon cel in a couple months. I have some on my website, but its a more if they sell okay, but I would love to keep them type deal.

As for other series, I think of the ones I collect Rayearth has been hit the worst. I saw a Pan cel of Lantis starting at like $50 with no bids~ had I the cash I would have jumped, however I am trying to refocus on Sailor Moon cels, and maybe 1 or 2 kikyous from inuyasha (funny now that I am selling most of those :P )

I am hoping to update around the middle of march. By that time I should have around 20+ new SM cels which is a good load for me and that seems a fair amount to update with.
at least 5 huge wishlist cels will be included... hopefully more to be added!
I am still collecting, just slowed down a little from what I used to buy!
nikki n
MDKiller1
Senpai - Elder

Post by MDKiller1 »

Guh dont remind me about this cel the Sailor Mars attack cel just sold for around 78,000yen. I was the high bidder on it for along time..and then it just slipped away while i was sleeping! /wah

I just couldnt believe it got away from me *kicks herself* I tried for the longest time to get that cel! But I did win a few nice ones like my new neptune cel. Ive also just added about 13-15 new sailor moon cels to my rubberslug site, along with a few other series.

Im still looking to collect cels of my favorite char though. If you cant tell that would me Seiya Kou. I cant wait to see Luna-arts updated page she has some nice cels. Also I cant wait to see her for sales page.
"Look what I'm offering you-- your dreams I ask for so little. Just let me rule you, and you can have everything that you want. Just fear me, Love me, Do as I say, and I will be your slave"
Katrina
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Katrina »

star-phoenix wrote:I have been trying to sell off my Chibi Chibhi cel for less than half the price I paid for last year and no bites. She was the rarest character of all the characters and no one is even interested enough in her. I personally think the series has become quite unpopular.
*raises hand* I'm interested! Although I think Saturn and Kakyu are still more rare than Chibi Chibi. Unfortuantly, with the price of my Uranus henshin, new cels right now are almost an impossibility from any series.

I did get a buyer on my signed Yaten cel, but then they backed out. :roll:

Your cel is shipping out tomorrow, SME, as promised. I'll keep an eye out for the screencap. :)
Book + Baby
http://katrinasforest.blogspot.com My adventure of trying to write a novel with a newborn.
purplewiz
Anime Geek

Post by purplewiz »

Like other posters, I'm still collecting SM cels, just not as vigorously as in the past. There just really hasn't been anything I'm looking for available lately - or when it is, it's what everyone else is also looking for, so the price skyrockets beyond where I'm willing to go.

Another part of the problem is that what I'm looking for keeps shrinking - I have a lot of the cels I originally wanted! (Patience pays off.)

I do have a couple cels on the way, and I'll probably post a very teeny update when they get here, or sometime thereafter.

Marcia.