Quantity or Quality?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Which is better for cels, quantity or quality?

Quantity
6%
Quality
94%

Total votes: 52

kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

I don't think that's there's a black and white answer to the question. It's a
matter of trade-off's. I'd rather have a good $100 cel than 100 blah cels
that cost me a dollar each. However, if you gave me the choice between
a $1000 cel that's spectacular and 10 $100 cels that are pretty nice, I might
go with the ten cels.
Fever's Break
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Fever's Break »

I like my cels like I like my men...definitely quality. :^^:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
~Oscar Wilde
kisara
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kisara »

Voted for quality. Though my budget generally only allows for quantity type cels. lol Though it has occured to me that if I weren't buying so much quantity, I could probably get some quality. But I'm far too compulsive for such logic. :P

Has never denied her insanity. 8O
"You have to keep your whits about you when you're losing your mind." - a friend

:P
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

You don't necessarily HAVE to shell out big bucks for quality. I've gotten quality cels for great prices. Some websites out there sell cels for high prices because they claim that their cels are higher quality than usual. Truth is, I've found dozens of high quality cels on YJ and eBay that were very high quality.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
kisara
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kisara »

blueheaven wrote:You don't necessarily HAVE to shell out big bucks for quality. I've gotten quality cels for great prices. Some websites out there sell cels for high prices because they claim that their cels are higher quality than usual. Truth is, I've found dozens of high quality cels on YJ and eBay that were very high quality.
Don't ya love ebay. I did just pick-up some good quality Inuyasha cels at my "quantity" budget. I guess when someone says quality, I'm thinkin' more OP or hanken type cels. But yeah, I agree that cost can have nothing to do with quality. Just so happens, that's usually how it works. I don't really think there's anyone in here that's gonna run around buying low quality cels just for the sake of having more cels.
"You have to keep your whits about you when you're losing your mind." - a friend

:P
hyelakingsfan
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by hyelakingsfan »

Looks like quality is owning quantity. Everytime i hear both quantity and quality either once or more than once in one sentence, my head starts spinning, after a while i get confused on which one quality and which one quantity is :? but after reading it couple of times it turns out alright :D and so i see that there is only one person who really likes quantity over quality, and thats not a bad thing, actually putting many cels from the same sequence together look as good as one quality cel and if im wrong please correct me, well i am going on a little vacation for 2 days so ill come back then and check on what happened to my topic and hopefully i will get some real good posts...... come on you can dooo ittt :dban
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

i want both.

didnt we do this thread a while ago.
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

I'll have to go for quality. Quantity takes up way too much storage space. :^^:
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Quality..all the way :wink:
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

Quality and Quantity /ho
Live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard.... (okay the comparision stops there)
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

OOOOOO!!!! Aya!! *drools*
Remi
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Remi »

I'd rather have a good $100 cel than 100 blah cels
that cost me a dollar each. However, if you gave me the choice between
a $1000 cel that's spectacular and 10 $100 cels that are pretty nice, I might go with the ten cels.
I agree with this. I'd like to think I go for quality, but to someone else's eye my collection might look like quantity.

I buy whatever shows up that I really like, if I can afford it. So my budget and availability are the determining factors on the quantity, not my conscience.

As for quality, I buy what I like. That alone gives them quality in my eyes. Are they quality cels in someone else's opinion? Don't know, don't care. :)
Namaste

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

Most of the things I look at as quality tend to go for $100++++ range, especially lately. *looks at hole in wallet*

However, there are some series that I like that nobody else knows about (wait, I did meet ONE PERSON who has heard of j-Decker at Ushicon!!), and I can find top-of-the-line primo cels for $25-40 (and I mean the BEST). So, I guess it is all in the type of series you collect rather than monetary value.
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

Heh, I've put some thought into this and couldn't vote either way.
I buy a lot of cels and see a degree of quality in all of them. To acquire any artwork from a series we enjoy is wonderful, even if they're B-grade cels. Gathering a large number of such cels simply makes for a cool collection because I can't classify 2 or 3 premium cels from 1 series as a collection.

Of course I like to see extensive collections of just A or B-grade cels but that doen't happen often with so many exciting scenes/characters in an anime.
The best kind of collection is one that sums up each scene of the entire episode/movie. It's a pleasure to view a collection like a stroyboard so you can follow the plot; filling the narrative gaps would incur some poorer quality cels...
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

heh - seems like everytime I start collecting a new series,
I go off the deep end and get whatever is available. Then I
sell them off and get down to just the quality cels. At one point
I had around 50 DBZ cels - now I have 5. I do that with Naruto
as well, though I have my Naruto down to just what I think is
quality items. I started collecting a new series recently, and