Control yourselves

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Can you control yourself from buying cels?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 46

Govogeta
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Govogeta »

I can control myself about cel buying these days. Recently I just bought my first after 6 months of not buying one. When I first started collecting control was something that I did not have X|
ladyhipoo

Post by ladyhipoo »

Anyone that has ever been to my gallery would know that's a big fat NO.
I would say I have "maintained control" maybe 1% of the time...if that X|
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

Yep. No sweat. Weeeelll, okay, so sometimes I sweat when I look at a cel I'm dying to own and I realize that there's no way I'll be able to afford it. :) But then I look at my 2 little guys and realize I'm just not at a stage in my life where I can spend a lot on myself. Oh, I'll get to that point someday when I can throw monetary self-control to the wind ... and I may even get to the point someday when I'll even go for those reeeaaallly expensive cels -- you know, those ones OVER $200!! Woooohoooo!!! :D heehee!
yukineko
Kamisama - God

Post by yukineko »

If I know that I can't spare the money at the current time, then I can control myself very well. I have a list of certain cels in my head for which I can break a cel fasting streak and charge them. They haven't come up yet (thank goodness), but the list keeps me from spending money when I shouldn't.

I also luck out in the fact that cels from series I like just don't come up very often at all.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

When it comes to cels, I am extremely picky and can control myself with those. However, sketches are a completely different story, especially from yesterday when I spent quite a couple of "0's" on a HUGE batch of sketches. I generally only keep the ones I absolutely must have and try to trade off the rest.
But, I guess we always have our "bloopers"! :D
birdie
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by birdie »

Nope no control, as the mess around my desk can attest to. :D
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

I controlled myself ONCE yesterday. I didn't bid on a Hokuto no Ken cel setup I really wanted! But then I took two steps back and bought some more cels from Anime Museum instead X| This thread should turn into a group therapy discussion *heh heh*
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

I have control. If I wanted to, I could spend a lot more than I currently do
on cels. I set a limit on what I'll pay for a cel and once the price exceeds
that, I move on. Granted, my upper limits have tended to move up as I
collect longer, but not as bad as some.
Drax
Kamisama - God

Post by Drax »

At first I had very little control. Now, I have more but when it comes to my favorite series, I have almost none. I'm almost in denial when I look at my collection and start adding up the prices I paid. When you see my next update, within a week, look at the number of cels multiply it by the average base price, and understand why I already spent my cel budget for the year. :l However, if a bargain comes my way, I'll always find the money for it. :D
rayd
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rayd »

HAHAHAHA thats a funny joke, a cel collector controling their addicting habit, nope im pretty sure it controls me. :hitting: I think all others are just in denial, now i need to get my next fix. :wow: :hippy
rallihir
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rallihir »

Self control? What's that? Since I am a limited series collector, at least now there are many fewer cels that I am interested in. Unfortunately, most of those now tend to go for big $$$. Still haven't thinned down the collection, but I keep saying to myself that some of the early acquistions may be worth trading or selling.
There is no such thing as too much cuteness
kisara
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kisara »

I'd so like to say "yes," BUT. . . I'm getting better. I swear! It's the auctions that kill me. "Ohhh, that's cheap!" Yah! NOT if you just bought five others! ACK!!!!!
Hakiri
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Hakiri »

I suppose it's good to have a limit... :wow: I think i broke my cel limit (the most I would pay for a cel) when I started collecting. But I'm trying! Honest!!! I'm just... failing... miserably. :x
Last edited by Hakiri on Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin x)
Makoli
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Makoli »

uh...that would depend on the cel, if its something i always liked and admired by far and had the ability to purchase it then yes id try. now books thats a way diffrent subject.
All great discoveries are made by mistake-the laws of murphy

Then the Dean repeated the mantra that has had such a marked effect on the progress of knowledge through the ages.
'Why don't we just mix up absolutely everything and see what happens?' he said.
And Ridcully responded with the traditional response. "It's got to be worth a try,' he said
Kane
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by Kane »

Yes, but only because I haven't had the money for cels for a long time. When I first started collecting I couldn't stop buying them and therefore maxed out a credit card or two X|
ImageImage