Just a funny collection note...over 300 anime and counting

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Do you buy anime films just to ID your cels?

Absolutely. The collection keeps growing.
6%
If I see it and I have cash...sure!
13%
Only if I REALLY want to see the series anyway.
29%
No, not really
52%

Total votes: 31

fetish4minx
Kishin - Fierce God

Just a funny collection note...over 300 anime and counting

Post by fetish4minx »

I now have over 300 anime VHS and 75 DVD. I can't believe it! There are so many to watch! I keep buying things...and watching things...but it seems everyday there are more! LOL

I should post a pic...anyone know where to host a picture?

Just a totally unrelated question.

marie;)
fetish4minx
vampyreshoujo
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Re: Just a funny collection note...over 300 anime and counti

Post by vampyreshoujo »

fetish4minx wrote:...anyone know where to host a picture?
I hear www.photobucket.com is a good place. :D

As for the topic, I typically only collect from anime I've already seen. However, there have been a few cases where I've picked up cels/sketches from anime I haven't watched yet but in most cases they've been series I've heard of and was already interested in seeing. Mostly though, I'm spending too much dough on watched series to start collecting from unwatched series. (Otherwise, I would have picked up some Saiyuki skethes by now. *lol*)

So.. typically, I don't buy anime just to ID cels because I usually only buy cels from series I own/have watched.

I hope that all made sense. I'm very tired...
ryoendymion
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by ryoendymion »

sort of the same as vampyreshoujo

i keep my collecting to the series i've seen (mostly anyway... there are some cels that i just have to get despite not knowing where it's from). i guess i feel that, while having an id of where the cel comes from is nice, it's not important enough to detract the $ from what i would use to add to my collection :wink:
Image Image
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

I mostly buy cels from series I've seen...although I just bought a movie Dilandau just before I saw Escaflowne the movie :?

But most of the time it's the other way around.
I see a show -> I want the cels :wink:
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

What's your favorite store?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Cloud wrote:What's your favorite store?
Anime Link :wink:
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

Uende wrote:Anime Link :wink:
ooooo... me too ^_^ good thing we dont collect the same series ^_~

Anyway ontopic: I collect anime to watch them rather then to ID my cels (my collection is rather small, and all of the cels can be very easily ID probably by anyone, lol). But having said that I probably have close to 350+ DVDs and I just made an order for more.. hehehehe.. off to watch them all

SmacznyPomidor
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

Lately, I tend to go for cels after I've seen the series.
Although in the very beginning I bought one or two based on the mangas.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Amsterdam781
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Amsterdam781 »

I think I go along with everyone else. I only buy cels from series that I have watched. I have been tempted to buy cels from series I have no clue about but I usually stop myself from getting them. I would rather spend my money on cels from series that I have watched and know where the cel is from.
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

I think it all comes down to cash.
If we all had some extra spending money (which makes me wonder, what other kind of money is there?) I suppose all of us would go for the occasional "beautiful but unknown" cel.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Hakiri
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Hakiri »

Although I impulse buy quite often, unless I really really want to see a certain anime, I don't buy an anime just to ID a cel. If I buy a misc. cel, it is usually for the artwork, and not for the storyline, because I do not know the storyline anyway when I buy it. However, I've been on a spending spree ever since I came into this hobby, so I am only collecting cels and production art from series that I know and love. I jump from series to series quite often and only concentrate on one series per time, simply because I get obsessed so easily. Right now, it's Naruto. :P (Oh yeah, I haven't made an update in a while. I should probably do that. ;) )

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin x)
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

I seldom buy cels without seeing the series first.
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

Several years back I used to buy cels just from the series I've watched but in addition I now like to buy cels solely for the sake of the artwork too.
Down the line I like to buy the DVDs so it's nice to ID an otherwise unknown cel. It puts the character into context when you finally see the anime.
I've got over 2000 DVDs/films, but they're not all anime- most of the cels I buy tend to be from series I know an love because I feel closer to them having warmed to the character(s), scene and storyline.
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

HA!! Maybe I'm just laughing at myself because I'm finally feeling well enough to laugh for the first time in over a week, but I'm just now realizing that I may indeed live in the stone age... I think MAYBE I own 6 DVDs!! That doesn't include the kids' collection ... they may have 4 more!! :D I only buy and keep DVDs that I know I'll want to watch over and over again; otherwise I watch them then immediately resell them or trade them with someone for something else to watch. Where do you store 2000 DVDs, Krafty??? Wowsers! And have you actually taken the time to watch that many, or are there piles and piles of "I gotta watch this sometime" DVDs?
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

shellie wrote:Where do you store 2000 DVDs, Krafty??? Wowsers! And have you actually taken the time to watch that many, or are there piles and piles of "I gotta watch this sometime" DVDs?
Answer: Alittle from column A and a little from column B. I had to remove 1200 DVDs from their cases and put them into 3 CD folders that hold 400 discs each, the sleeves go into a big box which is organized by film type/alphabetically etc so I know where to find everything. I also have a few 10 foot long shelves to store some of the DVDs and the rest are stacked along a wall. I have a page here to show some shots of my room although I've cleaned it up a little since then ^__^
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...