The cel you sold...

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

What determines Cel value to you?

The scene the cel comes from
43%
The charactes in the cel
54%
The Sequence number (A1)
No votes
The Sequence Number (A_ END)
No votes
Having Matching Backgrounds
No votes
No -little line fading
No votes
Not Stuck to Anything
No votes
What others view as value
No votes
The Price I paid
4%

Total votes: 28

midnightdance
Kishin - Fierce God

The cel you sold...

Post by midnightdance »

that was never found again? :l :P

Recently, a friend and I have been talking about the cels we sold awhile back(a year or more!) and wish now that we hadn't. Shluckilyly knows where her cel is however, I have two cels that I sold from SM because I wasn't into the show anymore.
One was of Usagi and Mamoru from the end of the first SMR arc where he is protecting her from a blast.

The second is of Michiru playing her violin during "thperformancece" in the Stars season, it had a green/black background and was the A1 pan shot.

So if anyone has seen these, I would love to know who has them now.
Also has this happened to many people? Or are you all just smarter than me! I was not into SM for a few years but still kept my cels (thank god) minus a few to pay bills/ buy other cels... now wish I hadn't so much.
Oh well

The Poll is just a question I was thinking over and thought to add.
Nikki N
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I have definitely sold cels in the past that I now wish I owned. But I guess they went to pay for cels that I still own and adore, so it's not a complete loss...
Hakiri
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Hakiri »

I voted the scene of the cel, although it's both the scene and character, but more to the scene. For example, if there was a cel that had a scene that was sad, or made me cry or something, then I would try to get it because it was something that I loved and affected me greatly. Also, if it was a funny time (remembers slapped Inu) :P and if it makes me laugh constantly just by looking at it, I'll also head that direction for it. :)

I know what you mean about regretting sales. I haven't sold any of my sketches or cels yet, but I have sold other things in the past, and also lost things that I would never be able to get back, simply because I do not know where it is or the person it was sold to, or if the person who found the missing item refuses to sell or give it back. :l I know how you feel. It's like losing a special part of you. I hope you can find out who has those cels. :^^: It's nice to find them once again and be reunited. That feeling is rather special.

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin x)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I guess I'd say that the factors listed in the poll are important in fine-tuning the value of the cel, there are others that I'd say are more important:

#1: the intrinsic beauty of the image. An A1 of a major character with matching bg and crisp lines is worth very little if it shows an ugly expression or the back of his/her head. Is this an image that I enjoy looking at, in other words? If not, then I'm anxious to sell it regardless of the original price I paid.

#2: drama. Does the cel show the character or characters in action, particularly an action from one of the key moments of the series?

#3: eyes. Closed-eyes cels are always less compelling than open-eyed ones. Often I mentally calculate the value of a cel in terms of square mm. of eye space.

#4: oversized. Say "pan cel" and watch me salivate.

#5: OP/Ending/Eyecatch. Add 200% to 1000% to value, depending on the show.

#6: separated from douga in good condition. Stuck-to-sketch (which I mentally read "tried to separate the two and damaged the paint in the process so gave it up") is always a major deduction in price. So is a badly damaged douga.

Overall, I've never regretted selling anything I've sold. Once I put it up, it's mentally left my collection, and so if someone else loves it, their happiness is my happiness.
BeansATL
Kamisama - God

collecting for so long

Post by BeansATL »

Cels have come and gone... I've been collecting over 7 years now.

DEFINATELY have some regrets on cels that I let go of. Mainly my R Movie villains... I know that I won't come across such nice ones again. Who knows though, sometimes ones surface that u would never expect to. **Crosses Fingers**

As far as value goes... to me I'm sentimental, so it's all about the scene and what's happening then... that's a huge part of my cels that are permanent fixtures in my gallery. Second would be trace line condition, something overly faded sometimes keeps me away sad to say.

Hope all is well... and what a fun "vote" concept!

^_~

Sincerely, Harry
SME
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SME »

If a cel has meaning to me (like ones that make me laugh or cry), then those mean the most to me and determines the value. I look more for goofy cels because I treasure the moments that made me laugh (especially Tomoe), and also my favorite characters.

Jupiter is my favorite character because when I first watched Sailor Moon, it was the episode she was introduced. I liked her right from the start because my favorite color is green, I love the weather (lightning) and Jupiter is my favorite planet. Seeing all my favorite things combined into one character is what drew me into her. That's why cels of her are my favorite.

As for Mars, she has personal meaning to me because she acts exactly like my sister. And it's odd too because she didn't start watching Sailor Moon until 4 years after I did, and she too found similarities to Mars, like red being her favorite color and the temper flares she has, even though she usually only jokes about it.

So basically to sum it up, I try to collect: goofy cels, meaningful cels: Sailor Jupiter and Mars and episodes that made me sad/happy, and I love Opening/Ending/Eyecatch cels
  • "If us girls can't be strong, then we can't protect the boys we love." - Naoko Takeuchi
  • "Anyone who sees me has a date with his maker." - Shinigami
  • "WHAT!??! Men in pink!? How bizarre!" - Vegeta
  • This message has been approved by Welcome Consumer...got questions? She's got answers. :P
purplewiz
Anime Geek

Post by purplewiz »

I really don't have regrets about cels I've sold because I haven't sold very many :-). I tend to buy only the cels I really like, which means I'm planning to hang on to them.

I have minor twinges about only two cels I've traded - but since I traded them for cels I wanted more, the twinges really are only minor. I just wish I could have both.

As for what I select for, my primary consideration is does the cel appeal to me personally on some level. That usually means character first, then scene, but it can vary.

Marcia.
In_Gabriel_We_Trust
Drama King

Post by In_Gabriel_We_Trust »

It has to be a combination of everything and per cel, one of the characteristics takes over.
[img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1ginjicool.jpg[/img] [url=http://snapshot_city.tripod.com/celstructure/][img]http://snapshot_city.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2ginjifun.jpg[/img][/url]

The Doctor : … and then, just to finish off, I’m going to wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky !
Dalek : But you have no weapons ! No defenses ! No plan !
The Doctor : Yeah ! And doesn’t that scare you to death ?
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

I've sold some cels now and I've never regretted selling any of tem.
My tastes have changed a lot since I first started collecting, and the ones I've sold did not do anything for me anymore.

I determine the value not by personal emotion, because that would not be fair. What may be an important or moving scene to me might mean nothing to someone else.
I try to determine the value by the quality of the cel, position of the character, how that character looks, line fading, etc.
A combination of those factors, so I could not participate in the poll.
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

This poll is rather difficult to vote for as the anwser tends to be a conbination of all the options. But I suppose that the price one paid is the most important overall factor if I had do choose one. Often you have to make a loss on a cell due to the market and demand, but it is a good indicator of the price you are looking for: I wouldnt buy a cel for say $400 and sell it for $40, I dont think anyone would really, but I would sell it for say $350 if the market was bad and I needed the money. Also the price you paid will often incorporate all the options above it, as you would not (unless by sheer luck or the previous sellers.. ummm... lask of knowlage) buy a A1END cel of an awsome character from an awsome scene from a very popular anime which is unstuck comes with several sketches and a matching background for much less then most fans/collectors would pay (in fact you would probably pay more). Finally unless I *need* the money urgently, which has honestly never happened, I wont sell a cel for much less then I paid for it, just because I buy my cels because I like them not as an investment, so Im just as content with keping them ^_^ So although it is a rather bleak and perhaps cold way to view things, if I had to choose one it would be the price I paid.

SmacznyPomidor
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

... :? and I just now saw this thread was posted under Sailor Moon...

and I'm not even a Sailor Moon collector! :P

See..you should not make posts this early in the morning :D
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

Uende wrote:... :? and I just now saw this thread was posted under Sailor Moon...

and I'm not even a Sailor Moon collector! :P

See..you should not make posts this early in the morning :D
hmm... I just noticed it too... I have never even seen Sailor Moon o_O .. truly it is too early in the morning

SmacznyPomidor
Last edited by Pomidor on Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I just saw this section too. Are you meaning this question to pertain only to SM collectors? If not I will move the topic to the proper area of the forum.
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

midnightdance
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by midnightdance »

i was making the reference to Sailor Moon cels because that is what I collect and what I sell/buy the most. That being said, I don't think it matters who responds because the poll could fit just about with any series, but the value of the feedback is better coming from other SM collectors then lets say Inuyasha collectors, because the collections of cels available are really different.

my point was to get some information on how Sm collectors view value because we have had some great cels come and go recently and I was curious as to how they maybe "prioritize" which to get and which not to.

Like mentioned above though, anyone can respond, but this was my responding behind posting the topic in Sailor Moon instead of General or another.
ashenfairy
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ashenfairy »

I didn't answer the poll because it depends on wether it's value to me when or value when selling. As I aproach the two very differently. For me personally the value is mostly in the artwork. I like pretty cels and no matter how much I might love a particular scene I generally shy away from cels that aren't pretty. With a few exceptions of course. (especially with SM as most of the cels aren't pretty no matter how nice of a shot it is) I also will overpay knowing full well I'm over paying if I like a pretty shot enough.

As for selling especially with sailor moon cels I base the price tag on current market value and scene. Market value is a pretty obvious thing to look at as becasue no matter what it's worth to me no one is going to by it if it's terribly overpriced. And scene because for the most part peoples primary motivation for collecting SM cels is that they love the scenes or the series in general.

As for cels I've sold that I wish I wouldn't have, I think there's only one I truly regret selling. There are lots of others that have been sold that I miss a bit but, I figure I moved on and so did they and someone else can enjoy them. I don't feel my collection is lacking in any way without them. I do know where most of the cels I've sold are though. I like to keep track of them as best I can. I don't know why because some of them I have no desire to own again but I still feel better knowing who has them. Narrowing it down to just SM again though, If anything I wish I had sold more of mine earler since now most SM cels are worth next to nothing. On the other hand I wish I had bought a lot more too as finding higher quality shots is damn near impossible these days (recent beauties not included)