secrets from getting webmasters from stealing your cel image

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Did this help you?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 9

Son Goten
Kishin - Fierce God

secrets from getting webmasters from stealing your cel image

Post by Son Goten »

hey as a webmaster i admit i DO save cel images to my computer and use them for graphics and such but im here to tell u how to prevent others from using them on their sites.

1. PUT A BG ON IT! - all webmasters hate erasing detailed BG's
2. Watermarks - add a watermark IN THE MIDDLE of the character so that way if they want to use it then they would have to split the cel in half and u have even more proof!
3. Don't make the best scan ever, this makes them not care where the water mark is, they will try to erase it and fill in the spaces right.

Those are all the secrets i can think of now but if i come up with any more ill be sure to EDIT this post i hope this helps all of you here on beta, you have all been so kind to me and so i figured i would let ya in on the secret (actually i would have earlier if it would have poped into my head :P) but hope this helps!
Sith-Krillin
Kaioshin - Diety
Kaioshin - Diety

Post by Sith-Krillin »

if you're a little more technically inclined and you're in control of the HTML code on your site, you can also try this:
go to your favorite DHTML script site and find a script for hiding your source code. this will involve setting up a dummy "index" page.
then disable the right click on your site.
they'll no longer be able to right click on the images to save them and they won't be able to use the Save AS... feature to download your whole site and sift out the pictures... they'll only get your dummy index page instead.

i'm still playing with that idea, but it seems to work so far.
-D
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " - Frank Sinatra
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

That doesn't prevent the "print screen" button from working. Even if you can't right click you can always press print screen and then paste into a graphics program**. Very easy to do.

**this does not seem to work very well if you are trying to screen capture from WMP.
Son Goten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Son Goten »

but soda if u add a name in the middle they still have to cut the whole image in half right?
Juunana_Gou
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Juunana_Gou »

One way is dont put up any big scans. I took down all my big scans, they took up too much space, and even if I do Tag them it wont stop people from stealing the image if they really want it, there are lots of ways to take a tag off a cel... Now I just put all thumbnails, no big scans, and set all Thumbnails at 250x210 pixels, that why I will know if someone took it.

And I dont really mind if someone does take it, because its such a dinky image there isnt much you can do with it...if they tried to reproduce it they would miss small details ect; and nothing is stopping them from taking a screen cap and reproducing the cel. Also taking out all the Big scans saved a huge amount of MB on my site :^^: More cel room!! :wink:
"I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, With a bullet called life, yeah called life,
You know that every time I try to go Where I really want to be, It's already where I am, Cause I'm already there."
EvilMisha
Kamisama - God

Post by EvilMisha »

...do NOT do that annoying "right click" disabling function. I don't save cel images very much anymore as I used to do it an excessive amount and find that it just takes up to much comp space and too much time to organize. But I do subsist wholly on using my right click button to "open in new window"...if a sight diasables right click, then fine, but I refuse to visit it. It's entirely too frustrating to go through a gallery using back buttons and waiting for things to load all over again.

Not only that, but if someone still wants that image, they'll take it. There's the print screen button, and then there's the simple fact that it loads in their temporary internet files, their cache, and all you have to do is go into that folder and copy it. Whether you like it or not, your file is always going to have to load on their computer somehow to show the image...this means that it is impossible to prevent people from stealing it, unless it's just not there. Of course, watermarking will discourage them, because who wants an image with big letters sprawled across it?

-Misha
Dragonball1080
Senpai - Elder

Post by Dragonball1080 »

The no right click thing basically only works for total idiots, you can open up paint and just pull it into there, or you can simply press the left button first then the right button, and you can do save target as, there really isnt a way to stop people from taking them off your site, just watermark it all, and it will piss them off any they will go to another site
EvilMisha
Kamisama - God

Post by EvilMisha »

"Save Target as" is a right click function - hence why people like to disable it. But it does absolutely nothing...except annoy the bejeebus outta me.

-Misha
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

Yep--I hate not being able to right click. I also open most links in a new window and I can't do that without using the right click. Only idiots can't get around the "right click has been disabled" feature. I forgot that the files are in your internet cache. That's another way around the feature if you really want to steal the image.
Sith-Krillin
Kaioshin - Diety
Kaioshin - Diety

Post by Sith-Krillin »

oh PUH-LEASE people!!
common! i know there is no way to COMPLETELY stop someone from stealing your images.
the point of this post is to suggest some ideas to make it more difficult, or at least that is how i took it.
it just depends on HOW much work you're willing to put in to make it more difficult.
some more suggestions: break the image down into a table, or just display the image in flash...
they can still get those if they want to re-assemble the image or have a flash editor to pull it out... but it's going to make it DISCOURAGING for them to go to the trouble.

as far as right click, hit CTRL-N to open a new window, click on the link in the new window and move on!!
Jeez...!!
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " - Frank Sinatra
Son Goten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Son Goten »

thank u got clearing up the topic sith, i made this post to help you here at beta to protect your images more. Just a simple watermark in the middle of it will make most webmasters turn them down :P
Little Poop
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Little Poop »

Other methods to make it more difficult is to
1) Slap a transparent gif over it
2) Get the script that disables IE6 Image toolbar
3) Get that script whereby the image changes as soon as you put the mouse over it.

I guess the single most effective method is to not put big sexy scans up in the first place.

"Shut your fool mouth gogeta" DBC 17/05/02
According to surveys, DBC has the sweatiest balls in Betaland.<br>
<kamakazicoke93> do you get horny over any anime-beta members? O_O
EvilMisha
Kamisama - God

Post by EvilMisha »

No need to get angry. I know a lot of people in this community who don't know that disabling right click is easy to get past, hence my post. And if it annoys me, I'm allowed to say it. BLAR, IT ANNOYS ME! ARGH ARGH ARGH! And there's nothing you can do about that fact. If I can't use my right click, I don't visit a page.

My point was watermarks are the easiest and simplest way to deter others. They're easy, quick, and discourage thieving, and they let me have my right clicky click ;p

-Misha