Is it just me, or is this the strangest email ever!

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Is it rude to ask people to put up different scans of their cels for your own site?

Yes, it's just down-right rude!
63%
Maybe... at least they asked first.
38%

Total votes: 16

jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Is it just me, or is this the strangest email ever!

Post by jenn-b »

Okay, it really could be me, since I am a little over-sensitive right now. But I found this email strange:
Hi!

I was wondering if you could post larger, higher quality scans of your cels of the following series on your website or, if you'd rather not, on mine (in which case I'd give you my username and password). They're of the following series:

- Samurai Troopers (Ronin Warriors)
- Rurouni Kenshin (btw, it's "Kaoru" not "Karou")
- Clamp X
- Yu Yu Hakusho (btw, it's "Suzaku", not "Suzaka")
- Dragon Ball
- Gundam Wing

If you can only do a few of those, then please do the top three series. They are the ones I want cel scans of the most.
And yes, I know that I do type-Os. But I am somewhat busy this time of the year, and it is not my highest priority.

Anyhoo, I just wanted to see what ya'll thought. Am I being over-senzitive? OOOOH, I should set up a poll!!!
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Okay...I actually had a third option of
No, I don't mind if others use my images at all. If I can help in any way, I will.
But I must have set it up wrong. Oh well, the two choices should work out alright. Sorry!
Jenn
marinesniper
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by marinesniper »

I mean do you know this person at all or did they just come out of the blue and ask you....to me if they just popped up asking for scans of your cels (and to possibly put them on their site) thats just a little weird (nervy and flaky too)...something smells :^^:
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Oh no...I have no idea who they are. This does not mean that they have not written to me in the past, but I certainly do not recognize the name or the email addy.
Jenn
Govogeta
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Govogeta »

WOW 8O

I wonder what that person was thinking :?
guess they just always take other peoples
cel image and put them one there site :x
I don't know jenn-b but I probley would have asked
for his site link and see what all they got on there,
or just ignore it all together :wink:
marinesniper
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by marinesniper »

I had someone ask me to use my site for school(this was awhile back)...I think to tell their teacher it was theirs....that was real weird. Well if you do decide to give them your cel scans(i don't know about that) I would put water marks on all of them...and somewhere that they couldn't just crop it.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

I've actually gotten quite a few emails from people asking me for larger & higher quality scans for my cels X| In the past I used to respond with something like "Sorry, but I don't pass out unmarked scans of my cels" blah blah... But honestly.... now I don't even bother responding. :P I'm behind in my emails with friends and people who've bought my cels, so I just don't take the time to answer. :shrug

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
Nightwind
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nightwind »

I tend to agree with everyone else, it sounds kinda weird!! I would probably ask for their url (just to be nosey). :P

I personally would not give them copies of the scans. Its very hard to say what they would use them for. :?
"I will rule you all with an Iron Fist! You! Obey the fist!" - Zim
Kane
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by Kane »

Jenn,
No, your'e not being over sensitive about this. I think it's rude of this person to ask, especially since they don't even know you :x . In the past I have asked one fellow cel collector if I could have a scan of one of his cels to use only for my desktop wallpaper. He gave me the scan and said I could use it for whatever I wanted. The whole thing is, I knew this person (I had bought cels off of him, and chatted through e-mail sometimes), I had no intentions of passing the cel off as mine, and I only wanted to use it for my desktop. I don't normally do that, but I loved the cel so much and I wasn't about to just take the scan from his website and put it on my desktop, I wanted him to say it was ok and send me a scan.

Personally, I wouldn't send this person scans if they asked, and if you do, I would watermark them.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make this so long winded... :^^:
ImageImage
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Thank Heavens you all think it is strange. I guess that I should be thankful that the person wrote to me instead of taking the images and posting them as their own. I've had other images stolen - ones that I worked on in photoshop - but never cel images. At least not that I know of. Anyhoo...thanks for the input!
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

Unless the scan was of poor quality or fuzzy, or very small, I thought it was okay. But when I read the email, I felt offended, as if it we meant for me. :evil: I would ignore it.
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Evil Hayato
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Evil Hayato »

i ve had emails from a guy begging to let him use some of my images. And i would constantly ask him what he wanted them for, and of course he would avoid the question. Then he sent me random emails of cel images of the same character(one of which was marine snipers) and i was like umm dude what the hell do you want them for. Then finally he said some bullshit about he was using them to learn how to draw them. And i was like ummm you took 6 emails to finally answer my question, thats suspicious so i said hell no... Well i said it in a more mature manner but still. I think its funny how he thought he could bribe me with 2 cel images for a cel image that i actually own. Hahaha oh well i hope he didnt just steal them. I do think its kind of them to ask rather than just take tho.
******IN LOVING MEMORY OF THE GREAT CANDYMAN, MAY THE CANDY BE WITH HIM ALWAYS******
mightymask
Senpai - Elder

Post by mightymask »

Yes, you're being over-sensitive. Sometimes I will write similar e-mails to other collectors demanding high quality scans ... I also give them a deadline - If they don't meet the deadline, I will give them a polite reminder. If they then comply, everything is fine - but if they disregard my second reminder - that's when it gets ugly - I'll usually write their ISP or hosting service and explain that they've neglected my deadline. What follows is a request to temporarily take the site down until I instruct them otherwise. I then, will write the collector again. Usually I'll begin with a very short e-mail to get in their head. Something like 'having problems with your site? hmmm... interesting' - then I'll wait a couple of days, - let them stew a bit - and then finally give them the low down - 'Your site doesn't see the light of day again until you give me your high-quality scans AND deposit $5 into my paypal account.' Anyways, you're being over-sensitive. He could have given you a deadline. But he was being cool.
Last edited by mightymask on Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nathan
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Nathan »

... That is weird...
Wonder why he would want to do that...
...just one more
Syxxth Munky
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Syxxth Munky »

I know i'd bee curious if someone asked me that...
*Coming soon... It all starts... again!*