Do you think you will ever grow tire of your cels?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Do you think you will ever grow tire of your cels?

Post by EternityOfPain »

Yes.. We all dont want to think about it but some of us give it 5, 10, 15 years chances are you wont be having your cels either that or you will end up selling everything except for those "holy grails pieces". So my question is.. When do you think you will realistically stop collecting.

I personally can't really say.. Considering I very knew to the collecting scene but whos to say 10 years from now I begin to grow new interest? How about you?

Please answer seriously.. I mean proclaiming "never" is simply unrealistic unless of course you really plan to have your cels with you when you are stuck 6 feet in the ground... :?

Note: Also it would help if you could say how long you have been into collecting cels etc.
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

I have only been collecting cels for a little over 2 years. I can't say for sure when I'll "stop" with it. As it is I've stopped for months if not longer, only to come back refreshed and ready to buy more.

Maybe in 5 or 10 years I'll grow sick of everything. If that happens I'll either keep everything anyway, sell what I don't really like and keep my most treasured, or... not sure :roll:
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

In my case , I have always tended to collect something.

I still have comic artwork I bought 28 years ago and continue to add more each year.

So I would not ever expect to "Tire" of my cels. Each had a something that drew me to purchase it. Be it a certain beauty or important scene that I'm reminded of each time I view it.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I wouldn't say I have lost interest in cels (especially not right now). But, I notice that a lot of my priorities have changed int he past few months because of school and moving.

I am still as broke as ever though. :)
Kata
Sakabatō Sheath

Post by Kata »

To get tired of collecting cels or not that's something I can't answer at all. That's something that might happen and it might not. Who knows!

Right now I'm collecting cels and have been since around 1998. I'm not about to give up collecting cels/sketches. I keep going, even so I did slow down a lot over the years, and yes my taste changed and I got a lot more picky with what I want and also I got more serious of what I want to collect from.

I've been collecting things all my life and got bored of all of the hobbies, except with collecting production art. Which is actually the first collection I haven't given up on collecting and been the longest in. There is just something about owning a piece of production art from anime.

I stopped a few times, because I coudn't afford to buy anything, but I still looked around and started buying again soon as I was ok again.

A few years ago I made a huge mistake by selling some of my best cels in my collection due to reason and after I did I was getting depressed and bought anything that came accross which was again another mistake, because I was completely broke all the time. One of the reason's I made a choice of taking a six month break and came right back after.

I don't know if I would sell my collection if I was to quitt, but who can really answer a question like that? I seen people say they never go out of collecting and they ended up quitting and not returning. I seen people say they quitt and never did. I think it all depends on what happens in your life to make a decision upon that.
Right now I have no intention of stopping or quitting, but who knows what my future holds.

===========
I have to add something else that I thought of after glorff post later on in this thread. I still have all my other collections actually. I never let go of them which is strange, but not uncommon I'm sure. Just something I wanted to add. ^^;;
Last edited by Kata on Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
logorzat
Kamisama - God

Post by logorzat »

Great question! :yourock: I have been collecting cels for a couple of years. I think I will probably stop collecting when I get married and have children. With all the bills that a family has I doubt that I would have extra money for cels. Your children have to come first.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I think Kata summed it up perfectly for me. :) Although change Kata's
Kata wrote:Right now I'm collecting cels and have been since around 1998.
to 2000. :wink:
Last edited by duotrouble on Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
sailorsv13
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by sailorsv13 »

I have been collecting cels for about 7 years now and haven't at all considered stopping or selling them off...in fact, my addiction grows more intense every day ^.^ Right now my opinion is that I will greedily take them with me to my grave! Muwahahahaha!

~ Bri ~
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I have been collecting since 2003 and I honestly cannot see myself stopping anytime soon. Perhaps slowing down a bit, and undoubtedly changing my focus from time-to-time...but I cannot envision stopping altogether.

But who knows? I, for one, have no idea what my future will hold.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

We don't tend to go into a hobby with the intentions of quitting. Nor do we honestly think about when we'll quit.
Why would we? We have no motivation to do that, unless life creates that motivation. Cels are too expensive to be taken lightly.

Like everyone else here, I don't want to quit and never will. Can I honestly claim that? No, because I don't know the future.
My priorities revolve and cels take a back seat to other things sometimes. That's life.
But I collect only what I'd take to the grave with me anyway. I've sold only two cels I actually purchased since I started. The rest were freebies.

The beauty of cel collecting is that it can be a life long hobby. Pace yourself and your budget properly and you will always be able to enjoy it.
Get out of control and you might become bitter or disenchanted with the hobby.

The desire to collect will exist within me in varying degrees for a long time, if not forever.
I may not always be frantically addicted, but the affinity I have for fine art will always be a part of me.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

I've pretty much always had a collection of some type since I was little. For
example, I have comics that I've had since I was five. So, I can see myself
continuing for a while, but who knows what will happen?
Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:We don't tend to go into a hobby with the intentions of quitting. Nor do we honestly think about when we'll quit.
Why would we? We have no motivation to do that, unless life creates that motivation. Cels are too expensive to be taken lightly.

Like everyone else here, I don't want to quit and never will. Can I honestly claim that? No, because I don't know the future.
My priorities revolve and cels take a back seat to other things sometimes. That's life.
But I collect only what I'd take to the grave with me anyway. I've sold only two cels I actually purchased since I started. The rest were freebies.

The beauty of cel collecting is that it can be a life long hobby. Pace yourself and your budget properly and you will always be able to enjoy it.
Get out of control and you might become bitter or disenchanted with the hobby.

The desire to collect will exist within me in varying degrees for a long time, if not forever.
I may not always be frantically addicted, but the affinity I have for fine art will always be a part of me.
I’m with Toni on this one (for once ;)), there wouldn't be much point in collecting in the first place if I knew when/if I was going to get bored with my collection. Sure my tastes in artwork/series may change, but I don't see or predict any time in the near future that I'll get fed up of collecting.
birdie
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by birdie »

After 4 years of collecting,I don't think I will ever quit collecting cels for the following reasons:

I'm still learning so much about them. Methods for unsticking sketches, the proper way to remove tape residue, which bags are the best for storing cels as opposed to sketches...etc etc.

New shows to love. Granted not every new season has a show I'll love to pieces, I manage to find something new I want to collect from.

Auction Bliss. Taking a chance on an auction and being overwhelmingly bowled over by the results. The colors are more beautiful in person,original matching background and layout was included, there is way more included than was actually showing...you get the idea.

Community and support. Friends that I've made that enjoy sharing that buzz of getting wishlists and cheer you on. And an understanding spouse helps too.

I think I'll stay in this game for the foreseeable future. Excuse me I've got some scanning to do... :wink:
crackpot27
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!
Location: My GPS is telling me to turn and there is no road...

Post by crackpot27 »

I'm a pack rat so I collect everything, and to be truthful I've never really completely quit collecting anything (although I do slow down from time to time :wink: ). Add that to the fact that I've been in love with art in general since kindergarden. Cels are still a newer additction so I think it'll be a while (don't wait up :P ), and while on occasion I do tire from collecting from certain series I always have a new one waiting in the wings. So until I find something even better (or shiny...I do like shiny....) my answer will have to be intentionally vague :hitting:
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

I have to say probably. More than likely it will start when I find something new to collect. That seems to be my pattern.