cels: offered vs ebay

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

I would rather use this method to buy cels:

offering
15%
ebay
30%
I don't really mind which way, I just want it!
55%

Total votes: 20

Candyman
Anime Geek

cels: offered vs ebay

Post by Candyman »

It has come to my attention (after receiving word from an "unknown" individual) that lots of people hate making offers, and would rather I put my cels on ebay.

Which would you feel better doing?
Echo
Senpai - Elder
Location: The tractor ridin', beer totin', shotgun firin' capital of the world..

Post by Echo »

I can understand that it's hard to make offers, and I can agree, sometimes it is. I've gotten rather comfortable with it though as I've been doing it for a while, and have received several cels (including a real drooly beauty that's on it's way) through that means! I hesitate when it comes to ebay for several reasons. First it's a fluxuating market, and often times the seller does not receive the price they're looking for.. hence those reserve auctions that keep popping up. Heh. Then there's the bidders. I personally hate buying a cel on ebay. I hate the bidders. The constant shillings, and the mysterious newbies (yes I'm sure there are a few that are just that, new, but.. you never can tell). One of the best things that I like though about offers is a payment plan. Most everyone will accept them and they're super nice when it's a cel you really want. As for ebay, I guess you can always ask the seller, again though, especially since it is an auction site and the seller will need to pay a fee, you never can tell. With offers, usually the person that takes them will give you somewhat of an idea, once you send in your first. If it's not enough they'll most always tell you and you can always send in a new one. And of course, they give us a chance at first crack at it. Just my thoughts. 8)
Hammando
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Hammando »

I'd probably prefer if they went to ebay, how were you going to handle a number of people wanting to buy the same cel???

I think for a couple of your cels there will be more than a few interested in them, and i think i'd prefer ebay than you having to say to everyone, hammando offered me $X will you beat that?

Or you could do a beta auction??? Don't know how that would work, I think i've had too many beers at lunch!

:cheers

Hammando
HAMMANDO SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your interested in anything email me.

http://hammando.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I opted for option 3. I can see the pros and cons for each.

For ebay: the item is 'fair game,' the person who pays the most will get it. It gives everyone a chance to go for the item. Also, I find many, many, many items there that I would never have if there wasn't a large forum for the people. Some stuff is so rare, and searching for it elsewhere comes to almost impossible. For other anime items, you can actually get a bargain- VCD's, soundtracks, toys, etc.

The bad side is the price fluctuations, bad sellers/ bidders, shill bidding, etc., like Meyers said. :roll:

For private auctions: There's a chance to work prices and payment plans that are not available on ebay. Also, if the cel owner is 'well established' in the cel world, then you feel more comfortable dealing with them. There's also friendships that is present among cel collectors, and selling to someone you 'know' makes parting with your cel easier.

I agree, the 'price offerings' get me nervous. You don't know if you're offering is to low as to make the person laugh, or it's too high and you end up paying more than the cel is worth.
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

I like to take offers and then put the item on ebay with the reserve set at $1 above the offer you have.
Last edited by soda on Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
mightymask
Senpai - Elder

Post by mightymask »

I like to take offers and then put the item on ebay with the reserve set at $1 above the offer you have.
oooooo! I like that idea! Yes, I went crazy on the last 2 cels I made offers on. I paid WAY more than what they're worth - but they were cels I really wanted. You can't say one method of selling is better than the other I think. You have so many variables. Like who's browsing Ebay this week or if it's a cel that one person is going to want to REALLY lay some cash down .... For an Ebay auction to go high, all you need is 2 people who REALLY want it. I saw a cel go in excess of $400 on Ebay ... waited a few months ... saw the same exact cel go for $75 (and yes, it was me who won it :D ) And with offers, you don't get as wide an audience - plus you count in the fees that Ebay charges you for listing and final value. Tough choice to make. Lately I've been putting my cels on Ebay just because I want to be done with it. One week. That's it. No lingering prices or watching low offers come and go. Whoever wants it more will get it. Good luck with your sales.
Nathan
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Nathan »

hmmmm... difficult... I have had to make offers....
I don't hate it - but I get scared that I'll either embaress myself or offer way too much...
I guess it comes down to - you know how much you can spend... so off within that limit... I usually start looking around for similar cels to do a price check!!! just to see if I am in the realm...
Offers can be scary for some people though.. the immediately think you are trying to rip them off... oh well.
...just one more
dbzmomma
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by dbzmomma »

Have a silent auction.
Vicci

Grand Reopening of Momma's Addiction Rubberslug Gallery!
Govogeta
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Govogeta »

Hmm :? hard choice but I voted that it doesn't really
matter to me :o I think that whatever your more comfortable doing
is what you should do :) They both have there up's and down's. I like
e-bay cause you can sometime's get cel's cheap when they don't
have a reserve, but by the same token :o you can get cel's cheap
by making offer's :) You could do both, take offer's first then the one's that don't cell but them one e-bay......any how good luck with the sale
and I like your new avatar :D
Majin Gohan
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Majin Gohan »

Look, as long as I get your Vegeta I couldn't care less what you do with the rest....lol. But if you put it on ebay and some stupid mother bids like 800 on it and I would loose I would find that person, murder them, and take all their cels >=). HAHAHA, ok, so I would be incredibly angry, so don't put the Vegeta on ebay and don't except any offers but mine!!!!!!

Steve
BleedingOrange
Yosutebito - Hermit
Location: I am everywhere and yet, nowhere... all at the same time. Whoa.

Post by BleedingOrange »

I like the silent auction idea.... don't put 'em on ebay. Ebay = Trouble!! hahaha.
Visit: Bleeding Orange - DBZ Cel Gallery
"It seems a demon has possessed your trousers... care for an exorcism?"
cyborg 17
Senpai - Elder

Post by cyborg 17 »

well if it was up to me...i would do the ebay thing if a lot of ppl want the same cel.
if there is only like 2 ppl that want the same cel then do a silent auction.
if no one want the cel or has offered money for the cel then put it up on ebay.

thats my opinion...do what you please but dont make ppl offer a ton of money for the same cel with out an auction...it turns out that there will be arguments in the long run.
Ahh them Droids. Dont you just love them ????