Genders of characters you've sought out

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Genders of characters you've sought out?

More male characters
47%
More female characters
37%
Evenly split 50-50
16%

Total votes: 49

Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Genders of characters you've sought out

Post by Keropi »

From all the characters you've been specifically trying to obtain artwork of (cels, sketches, Rilezu, etc) would you say there were more male or female characters? Or was it split evenly 50-50?

I honestly can't recall ever specifically targeting artwork of male characters. :sweatdrop

This is not asking "What is the most common gender on the artwork that you HAVE?" This is asking about the genders of the characters you are/were TRYING to obtain since you started collecting.

I've gotten a few cels of only male characters showing, but I wasn't trying to get those characters specifically. I only got them because they seemed like decent purchases. I guess you could say those purchases were more like decent cels that happened to have male characters on them.
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

Haha, well that's an easy answer for me. I only really collect from one show, and all of the main characters are male.

However, one of the minor female characters is one of my most sought out cel subjects. I've only managed to aquire a single cel with her in it though, she's not easy to find because she only appeared in a flashback. Pretty much anything else I seek out is male.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I've always purchased artwork because of the scene and/or the emotion being conveyed. It has never been an issue of collecting one gender(or species) over another or collecting one character over another. If the scene draws me in, I'll consider purchasing it.

There are a few exceptions, though. I tend to be a fan of certain episodes, and in these instances, I'll consider purchasing artwork just to have more from that episode. And there are some artists(Akemi Takada) that I will not purchase anything from due to personal experiences I've had with them.

Most of my artwork is female, though, since Sailormoon & Cardcaptor Sakura is primarily a female anime. But, I like the men more in CCS, so I have more artwork of them than I do of the male characters(Mamoru never seems very 'manly' to me)in Sailormoon.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

The characters I actively seek to collect are all male....some may look feminine, but they are male. :)

I have a few females cels/sketches b/c I liked the scene or they are with the male character or I may like a particular image of a major female character.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

While my most sought after character is female... overall its more male.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

almost completely and exclusively male :wink:
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

I voted about even. Although my gallery has more male characters, I've admired lots of female as well. I like to collect characters that have traits that I admire, whether they be men or women, children, adults, old folks... LOL. :)
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

I'm a character collector. And the characters I collect are male. :dsmoke The random female may appear, usually the love interest of my focus. :^^:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

duotrouble
I'm a character collector. And the characters I collect are male. Devil Smokin' The random female may appear, usually the love interest of my focus.
DITTO :D
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

mostly male for me also.
Penguinton
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Penguinton »

For me it's mostly female. :)
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

I once did a percentage on my cels, and turned out to be about 95% male and 5% group, female, or non human. Exclusively female character cels were about 2%. This was probably about 5 years ago... Maybe I'm due for another count, in honor of the US census maybe? lol!
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

This question is extremely easy for me to answer. I seek out almost exclusively females. In fact I believe the only males I ended up owning with the exception of 2 were freebies or came with lots and weren't purchased for the males. I blame Yasuomi Umetsu, he knows how to draw a woman. And then with Sailor Moon being almost an exclusive female cast, those I seek out are female as I was never fond of Mamorou as he seemed distant and didn't have an awesome henshin :P

Right now id say my most sought after female is a good Mercury/Ami as she's my favorite scout :]
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

Having done a rough and ready survey I can confirm most of my characters are currently female. This isn't by design it's just because most of the shows I like have female leads and the ones which don't so much, Akira and Ninja Scroll, are too expensive for me to buy artwork from on a regular basis. Though having thought about it a little now it does occur to me that liking shows with female leads is indicitive of a bias in itself. Then again one of my fave shows currently is Bleach, which has a dirty great big male lead! I want to start collecting from it and most of the characters I'm after will generally be male simply because in this instance they make for more interesting artwork. So there not so clear cut.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Interest is divided, but when it comes to spending $$$$ I seem to drop the majority on female characters. But like many have said, this is a by-product of collecting from girls' anime, like CCS.