Are DBZ Cels / Genga / Douga still popular?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
minigt
Eiyuu - Hero

Are DBZ Cels / Genga / Douga still popular?

Post by minigt »

I haven't been here for a few years and I still treasure my DBZ collection but was wondering what the lay of the land is currently for DBZ goodies. I'm thinking about getting back into collecting and its great to see some familiar names around the boards. Any help would be appreciated.
Are you ready now....to witness a power not seen for thousands of years!
http://genkidama.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
minigt
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by minigt »

Guess its really not popular based on no responses. Man there used to be hundreds of posts hear every day. Sure has gotten quiet around this place. Still very cool though. :D
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I'm not a DBZ collector, but I do see stuff come up often on Mandarake so it must still appeal to a pretty broad audience.

It is a little disappointing to me too that the excited chatter has died down on both Beta and RS. People used to have so much passion for collecting and coming up with innovative ways to display their collections. Now, sadly, a lot of the talk on both has to do with gallery offers and what's on eBay.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

Yeah, things have been rather quiet around
here lately :? maybe it's the change of seasons X| ...
but there still does seem to be
a pretty popular buzz about DBZ cels, I'm not
a collector of that series at all so I usually don't get
to involved in those threads
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yeah, there's less people checking in every day. I remember when it used to be 82-85 members checking in each day. Now it's like forty or fifty-something per day.

Hard to believe we used to get at least one post every 15-20 minutes. But that was a long time ago. People are moving on and are not being replaced posting-wise. Well...I know that feeling. They're not posting on my board either. I am basically talking to myself.
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

Keropi wrote:Yeah, there's less people checking in every day. I remember when it used to be 82-85 members checking in each day. Now it's like forty or fifty-something per day.

Hard to believe we used to get at least one post every 15-20 minutes. But that was a long time ago. People are moving on and are not being replaced posting-wise. Well...I know that feeling. They're not posting on my board either. I am basically talking to myself.
I remember those days! :D
You could stick around for just 1 thread and find yourself
posting for 1-2 hrs because all sorts of members would be online
all at once replying back immediately.
:rollin

Hard to believe that Anime-beta use to be a DBZ only forum LOL!
:hitting:
And now barely any DBZ convos take place. :hurt:

Well speaking for myself, I've gotten too busy w/ RL to really
delve into the forums anymore. It was a whole lot easier when
I was in college. Plus theres only so many times until the
same thread topics start to come around and around
and around and around. :wow: :nuts
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Shampoo wrote:Plus theres only so many times until the
same thread topics start to come around and around
and around and around. :wow: :nuts
That's true. I feel less motivated to answer when I've answered similar threads 3-5 times earlier. Not many NEW topics left to discuss. :)

About the only obvious topics are the ones that would bring negative consequences:

1. What can sellers do to make more money off me?

2. Do you prefer backstabbing someone or doing it more slowly?

3. Do you think XXX is really cheaply priced?

4. I wish sellers would get material by doing XXXX?

5. What is your least favorite XXXX?

6. What's your favorite XXX that no one else has that you feel like bragging about?

7. What can sellers do to get away with auctioning off more fake XXXX?

8. Who do you hate the most?

9. Who is your favorite seller of XXX so that everyone else can know where to get them?

10. What is the most XXXX you have compared to everyone else?

11. What current auction do you want to win the most by beating another fellow Beta member?

12. What is your favorite way of searching YJ so that I can get that stuff too?

:D :rollin
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

:topic Pretty funny...Keropi...unfortunately too true.

Plus if you try to start a thread about a new series you might get one person to comment about it. Even Naruto or Bleach have less comments than before. So it's not surprising this thread is pretty silent. X|
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
akadro
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by akadro »

Eh minigt how are your doing ?!?!

I am still here :-)

Not involved anymore on cel collecting. I got myself into a position about cel collecting that I got scared. Too much money, too much ways trying to find money to buy more cel and more expensive ones! I honestly freaked out. I have then started to sell my collection. I discover that small cels (from 50 to 300) will always be hard to sell and will remain with the same value. On the other hand cels that are from 800 to....3k or more do not have any price. Those are so hard to come buy that you can sell them for a really huge amount of money.

I got some really huge pieces and then sold them. I guess I will remain with 6-7 great cels that I can not imagine to sell.

If you are back in business I would say that it is the right time to buy, not to sell! You will find really cool pieces for a great price. If you want a stunning piece....it's going to be different

Anyway, gald to see you are back, if there is anything I can do, let me know buddy,

dro
dude_moose
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by dude_moose »

There have been some pretty nice dbz cels popping up in the last couple months (especially on YJ.. right now there's 390!), but I'm not sure anyone is in the market to buy them. The yen is really strong right now (1USD=83.3JPY! that's terrible :x ), too, which isn't helping things at all. If you get paid in yen or are in the market for some new beauties, now is time time to buy!
minigt
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by minigt »

I haven't bought a cel for over 12 months but lashed out on YHJ last night and scored. DBZ is back baby!
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I agree with everyone here. Things seem very slow now with discussion and interest these days. I asked someone about this, and they believed it was more due to the way the US and other countries made Anime more "mainstream" (which means a much younger age group), and most of the peeps who were hardcore cel collectors slowed down a lot due to economic reasons, while fewer "new" collector's jump on board because of similar economic reasons.

I think once the economy improves, then there will be more interest in the hobby.
minigt
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by minigt »

star-phoenix wrote:
I think once the economy improves, then there will be more interest in the hobby.
I hope so. I think the popularity of what was 'new' anime back in the day - DBZ etc really drew many people into the hobby. Now with anime hitting such a wide genre you would think that there would be more collectors, or maybe anime popularity is much lower now? Off course, more $ helps!
SSJ4JOHNJOHN
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SSJ4JOHNJOHN »

Yeah true... but in any case... I'm still Buying DBZ cels...
just not az intensely and excessive az i used to =P don't really have bidding wars like we used to on ebay & yj ect...
I remember always overspending cauz in the last few minutes the price used 2 go up n up...
now itz lucky 2 get more than one or 2 bids... but thats fine with me cauz itz cheaper on my pocket =P

:bubbles