Show me. . .

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Show me. . .

Post by JWR »

One of the reasons I had to get art from this show

http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=239694

Show me one you would never part with
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

A young innocent Tamahome....

http://kathpatty.rubberslug.com/gallery ... mID=247977

Show me summer ....
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Summer from my precious CCS "Four Seasons in Clow Reed's Garden" set.

Those clouds look ominous, as if a storm is trying to form. So show me lightning!
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Here you go, Sensei. I figure this will work nicely. Pretty impressive I'd say.

Lightning Strikes the Tokyo Tower, circa 2013

---------------------------------------

Next up on "Show me..."

One Japanese surname I regularly run across is Tanaka 「田中」 . According to this Japan Times article from 2009, Tanaka was number 4 on a list of the top 100 Japanese surnames around that time.

Show me a "Tanaka". You have pretty wide latitude on this one. I'm looking for any of the following--

-an anime character named Tanaka.
-an animator named Tanaka, or an anime character drawn by someone named Tanaka.
-an anime character voiced by someone named Tanaka, or a voice actor by that name.

Surname or given name, male or female. There are a number of them out there, apparently. Good luck.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Actually, I've got Tanaka, a character in Genshiken. He's the sly, scruffy one on the right side of this group, who are visiting a shop specializing in hentai doujinshi in Akihabara, looking for the latest copy of "Egg Eater Sakura." (This is a color test, which you could occasionally snag in sketch sets from CGI shows like this one. Evidently they were run off on the studio color laser printer to double-check the colorizing before the frames were animated and made into the final footage.)

Let's keep this focused on anime art (unless we get really stuck), but I'll keep the emphasis on names. Let's see someone from an anime with a characteristically American name like "Andrew Jackson MacArthur" or "Madison Taylor." ("WhatEVerrrr, SaKOOrah!").
Attachments
genshiken 2.53 color.jpg
genshiken 2.53 color.jpg (134.73 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

sensei wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 am Let's keep this focused on anime art (unless we get really stuck), but I'll keep the emphasis on names. Let's see someone from an anime with a characteristically American name like "Andrew Jackson MacArthur" or "Madison Taylor." ("WhatEVerrrr, SaKOOrah!").

Whoops, my bad. I didn't know this was strictly an anime art thing. May I take a mulligan on the lightning, then? :D

Thunder Card attacking horse, Episode 67 - CardCaptor Sakura

Not what I would typically post, but surely it will fit.

As to the later request, how about 5 someones?

NOTE: graphic may require login to be visible.

"Hollywood Squares Interstitial" Marmalade Boy - Ep. 62 EyeCatch (annotated)

EDIT: I read "characteristically" as "stereotypical". How did that happen??

EDIT 2: The "characteristically" American names are--

A1 = Brian Grant
A3 = William "Bill" Matheson

B1 = Michael Grant

C2 = Jinny Golding
C3 = Doris O'Connor

For the sake of completeness, the Japanese names also--

A2 = Kei Tsuchiya
B2 (center) = Miki Koishikawa (series lead)
B3 = Yuu Matsuura (series co-lead)
C1 = Anju Kitahara

Sigh, the boards's attachment system is till a bit loopy. Oh well.

Show me a cel that barely escaped a catastrophe. Please, keep it G-rated, PG at worst.
Attachments
ccs_ep67_thunder.gif
ccs_ep67_thunder.gif (1.91 MiB) Viewed 4018 times
Last edited by Pixel on Wed May 30, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrismayek
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by chrismayek »

Kenshin about to be hit in the neck by Aoshi's swords. Uses his ultimate attack in the nick of time. :D

http://moonlightcels.rubberslug.com/gal ... mID=420397

Show me a cel of an angry/serious bishonen.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

In the eye of the beholder surely..... :D

here's mine...

http://kathpatty.rubberslug.com/gallery ... mID=276715

Show me someone working at a desk....
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
sensei

Post by sensei »

Got that too:

Karin aka "Tonde Buurin/Super Pig" studies for midterms.

Show me someone who's passed the test! (Define this any way you like)
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

sensei wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 7:10 pm Show me someone who's passed the test! (Define this any way you like)
Given the open-endedness of the request, I was trying to decide on an unconventional answer. This is what I came up with.

As a general rule, cats hate Sakaki. Seriously, they hate her. What makes it so sad is how desperately she wants them to like her. She tries and tries for the entire show to get the small gray cat in her neighborhood to like her, but nearly every time she ends up with a least one finger bitten, if not worse.

Most of the other cats on the show are pretty much the same.

It would take 20 and change of the 26 episodes for a cat to finally decide that Sakaki "passed the test", as it were.

EDIT: I thought it was Episode 23, but it's actually Episode 21. How do I keep messing that up?

Sakaki-san Meets Iriomote Cat - Azumanga Daioh, Ep. 21

azu_maya_pet.jpg
azu_maya_pet.jpg (49.89 KiB) Viewed 3975 times

This particular kitten happens to be a male Prionailurus bengalensis iriomotensis or Iriomote Cat. This animal actually exists, but it is critically endangered. Estimates from a few years around the time this show was made put population numbers at around 100 individuals or less.

Back to the screen cap-the look on Sakaki's face says it all. The poor girl has been through endless disasters trying to get cats to like her. When one finally does, she is so shocked that she almost spaces out. The close up of her wearing an almost identical facial expression shortly before this scene is hilarious.

It is quite interesting that of all the cats on the show, only a rare species from the the far flung edges of Japan (Iriomote Island is located off Okinawa) would find Sakaki "passed the test" for friendship.

It is never explained why exactly the other cats hate her.

Azuma-san seems to have a rather clever sense of irony-cute little cats abhorring one of the sweetest, most likeable characters on the show.

This is a very special moment from the series, IMO, and I got to learn a little about one of the world's rarest creatures. They even show a couple of [animated] museum exhibits about this cat. Who knew a silly little slice-of-life series could actually be educational?

**SPOILER ALERT**

In just a few short episodes, we find that in the eyes of this kitten Sakaki-san passed the test for something beyond friendship. When his own mother is apparently killed by a car, this plucky youngster wastes no time in tracking down-in his mind-the next best thing. Somehow he makes his way to the main island of Honshu. He manages to find Sakaki near her home in the greater Tokyo area just in time to fend off a pack of feral cats out to get both her and Chiyo-chan. The whole sequence of him finding Sakaki and being taken in as a pet is incredibly far-fetched, especially with such an animal being so critically endangered. In the end, the happy sweetness of it make the problems sort of just melt away.

Keeping with the theme of education, show me a teacher chewing out a student. It can be for a poor grade, or maybe the student gave a silly answer, or maybe the teacher just wanted to chew someone out.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Akane getting yelled to while running

http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=204976

Show me the calm before the storm
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by earl »

The calm before a very big storm for Nemo:

Now show me the calm *after* the storm.
Come join us in the Animation Art Collectors slack chat!: http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/
sensei

Post by sensei »

Popo takes leave of the android Palme in the epilogue of A Tree of Palme.
Popo takes leave of the android Palme in the epilogue of A Tree of Palme.
Popo at story's end.JPG (36.84 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
Nakamura's anime film A Tree of Palme is nothing if not stormy, not to mention bloody, messy, and downright baffling. But this blessedly calm conclusion is one of its genuine delights.

Speaking of which, show me delight -- evil, wicked, malevolent delight!
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

I had several thoughts on this one. One idea seemed like it might fall too far outside the thread paramaters, the other would likely require some explanation.

I instead went with something I thought would be widely recognized. Directed by animation legend Chuck Jones.

Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas - "The Grinch got a wonderful, awful idea."

grinch_idea.jpg
grinch_idea.jpg (64.65 KiB) Viewed 3785 times

Sadly, this is from the unrestored version, hence the rather yellow color. On the other hand, the color makes him look even more menacing to me.

This is at it's most effective when you see his expression progress to this point, so I will also offer a link to a video clip. The narration by Boris Karloff is also of note here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUUdW2bTa3Y

Show me, by herself, the cutest sounding anime girl you've ever seen (heard).
JWR

Post by JWR »

Val in her child form

http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=239693

Show Me one that captures the essence of the character