Do you ever feel like you're the 'evil' collector?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Do you ever feel like you're the 'evil' collector?

Post by Gonzai »

Just wondering, what's the point of a wish list?
It gives me the opportunity to tell myself every time I look at it

"Yeah - fat chance of that ever happening" :roll

http://indomitablespirit.rubberslug.com ... shlist.asp
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

well,to be honest, while I no longer post my wishlist due to unrelated reasons, I have had fellow collectors alert me to certain cels on my wishlist that appeared on auction, good chance I would have missed a few of them if not for the heads up from cyber friends who understand this passion. While this hobby can be cut-throat at times there are MANY Good people/collectors out there more concerned with helping a fellow collector move forward, this thread sounds so evil, its like "lets scare off all the new collectors out there." Basically, whoever wants to spend the most will inevitabley win the prize.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I don't think that this thread is out to scare new collectors, and that was never the reason why I created this thread. I think it serves more to point out that there are jerks out there, and if you do encounter one of these people, to realize that you're not alone. A lot of us have mentioned the problems that we have encountered with people, and the longer you stay in the hobby, the greater your chances are of encountering really mean and/or irresponsible people. Sad to say, but it's kind of a right of passage the longer you stick around and something that is more likely to happen when you collect artwork from more popular series or those where there is not much available artwork.

When I first started collecting cels, another collector who had been buying artwork for longer than I had, mentioned to me that "If it's meant to be yours, then you'll have it". And that's kind of been my mentality. It doesn't always boil down to who has the most money - You can be able to easily outbid your rivals any day of the week, but if your internet connection is acting up or your alarm clock fails to wake you up, you could be outbid internally at the last second by a fellow deputy user. Or, if there are lots of auctions you want to win in the same day, your entire deposit with a deputy service could already be used up. At conventions, while money plays a big part in determining who will win at charity auctions, it doesn't have that much influence during open autograph sessions. There, while a lot of it comes down to tenacity and networking, there's also a lot of luck involved. Sometimes being at the front of the line pays off, and other times, it doesn't work for you. It's just the luck of the draw.

As with anything else, there are a lot of good people and bad people around. Most people that you'll meet are the former.
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

hgeek23 wrote:Just wondering, what's the point of a wish list?
The wishlist is a list of usually general Items that you look for. Most people have them on Rubberslug. They go from saying general things like "I want Inuyasha cels" to specific scenes like " I want this exact scene! Some people have them to show others what they might want (incase of trades) or for other various reasons. If you are lucky, someone will see your list and if they see something on it, tell you where it might be. Luckily for me someone very kind used my wishlist and actually helped me get one of my items :)
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

well, CB, you are right, and it has been an interesting thread, alot of us have been collecting for
a long time, and we've seen all kinds of crap, it is good to alert new collectors what to be aware
of as there is still some cut-throat antics around, I guess my point was while these things DO happen
and you need to proceed with some caution at times, there are even more of us who are just decent
every day people, with a cel habit
hgeek23
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by hgeek23 »

So my wishlist will be "I am looking for fate, death note, geass genga"?
Follow my olympics journey! http://www.IsraelSkeleton.com http://www.fb.com/IsraelSkeletonAJ
Israel's National Skeleton Athlete, the HebrewHammer.
Avid otaku.
http://www.9000.rubberslug.com
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

moonrabitt wrote:
The wishlist is a list of usually general Items that you look for. Most people have them on Rubberslug. They go from saying general things like "I want Inuyasha cels" to specific scenes like " I want this exact scene! Some people have them to show others what they might want (incase of trades) or for other various reasons. If you are lucky, someone will see your list and if they see something on it, tell you where it might be. Luckily for me someone very kind used my wishlist and actually helped me get one of my items :)
I have had a few interesting experiences with wishlists. In checking them sometimes in the course of viewing a person's gallery I noticed that I actually had a cel from that sequence. If it was one I was not that attached to I would contact them and see if they would be interested in purchasing it. Through this I have made several close friends in this hobby that are worth much more than any cel.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

When I'm bored I try to help people find stuff...I've bugged Sui Kune a few times when I say "LOOK!!! A Sailor Saturn...." Sui Kune will usually say "thank you but I already saw it" LOL
hgeek23 wrote:So my wishlist will be "I am looking for fate, death note, geass genga"?
Now if you put that somewhere and people spot stuff from it, they might be able to help you find those items, from that list I recognize one (i'll send ya the link, though the item is really nice, but the current cost looks insane to me lol)

JWR wrote:
moonrabitt wrote:
I have had a few interesting experiences with wishlists. In checking them sometimes in the course of viewing a person's gallery I noticed that I actually had a cel from that sequence. If it was one I was not that attached to I would contact them and see if they would be interested in purchasing it. Through this I have made several close friends in this hobby that are worth much more than any cel.
That's so nice of you. I did the same with one of my friends...she almost single handedly got me a whole ATHRUN from Gundam Seed collection!!!! It all started with her buying a human inuyasha from me (that was her wishlist)...we became friends and she shocked me when she gave me those sketches :bow It's better to have friends then enemies in this hobby because friends HELP...and in this now SKETCH over-run world, if you buy a sketch set and its a wishlist, you might be able to split it with friends.....so in the end...making enemies makes no sense
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

hgeek23 wrote:yes, the reselling is particularly annoying. I have a new eBay alert on specific kinds of cells. every morning I wake up to an email listing a bunch of new cell auctions for ridiculously inflated prices.
There is a site of a Japanese collector who had xxxxx (withholding the name of the anime because it would be too easy to know who I'm talking about if I included it) Genga. He also posted on yhj. This same Ebayer purchased 60 dollar genga sets and now has them on Ebay for 300 dollars. I once asked, out of sheer curiosity and before I found out where he got them "where do you find such great looking genga? Yhj?". He responded with a "not yhj, I've got my sources"
I know exactly who you are referring to as the same thing happened to me when I first started to become serious with collecting anime cels, I asked that same question, only to receive the same basic response.
That really irked me so I started to build up my own referral network of Dealers & Collectors. As this network started to build, it further irked me to discover a few weeks later that these prices they were offering on on eBay were hugely inflated from those originally offered direct from Japan!
I take the same stance as Zerospace and quite frankly have not purchased anything further from them besides that initial batch, nor never will. I despise this sort of methodologically as they are virtually preying upon newbie & non-informed customers - people who may be looking for a one-off item/present or those that are only just starting out in the hobby.

Going back to CB's original question, do I feel like an 'evil' collector - no, not at all. I see something I like, I figure a maximum amount I am willing to pay for it & place the bid. If I get beaten, so be it, means that some other collector thought the item was more valuable to them. If see something I believe another collector may like, I provide a heads-up & l let them know about it - Karma.
Now, have I ever been called an 'evil' collector - yes, I have unfortunately (though not by anyone from A-Beta). Over the last couple of years I have received the occasional correspondence from RS-feedback ranging from "that piece should have been mine", "it does not belong your Gallery" through to being accused of "deliberately driving the final price up". Admittedly most of the ruder messages originated from a foreign ip address, such as co.jp or cm.bzl, containing broken English - so hopefully some meaning was lost in translation, but otherwise I do not respond.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Quacker wrote: Over the last couple of years I have received the occasional correspondence from RS-feedback ranging from "that piece should have been mine"...
I, too, have received an e-mail like that too through the RS feedback. Someone was really mad that I won the Police uniform Seiya cel that was featured on a Mandarake BWA many years ago, and I received an e-mail like "I did not see this cel until the auction was over. Had I seen the cel beforehand, rest assured that you would not have gotten it for $$. I will pay you double for that cel. Please send it to (e-mailer's address)."

:|

I should try to dig that e-mail up. Makes me laugh when I think about it.
Promethium
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Promethium »

Quacker wrote: Admittedly most of the ruder messages originated from a foreign ip address, such as co.jp or cm.bzl, containing broken English - so hopefully some meaning was lost in translation, but otherwise I do not respond.
Sadly I think some of those nasty co.jp emails mean what they say. I see JP collectors *itching about foreign bidders using deputy services and outbidding them, all the time on the JP cel board. (^_^;) They're just sore losers who are bitter :P and just need to vent.

Some collectors view cels/sketches as national treasures and shouldn't leave Japan, but they're a small minority - those ppl really need to get with the times and get over it. On the other hand, some collectors think they should be honored that foreigners are willing to go as far as paying a deputy and intl shipping fees to get a piece of their culture.
So cheers to those collectors :cheers

Luckily, I've never gotten a nasty RS feedback these past 10+years (everyone has been nice), so hopefully it stays that way! I think the majority of collectors are nice and pleasant to deal with, especially the ones on AB. In my book, the evil collectors are the ones who scam other collectors and ones who don't take responsibility when something goes awry - they just need to go die in a bucket of turd. :)
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Gonzai wrote:
Just wondering, what's the point of a wish list?
It gives me the opportunity to tell myself every time I look at it

"Yeah - fat chance of that ever happening" :roll
A-MEN, sister! :rollin

I have a wishlist anyways, even though I know some people have run into issues with other collectors using it against them -- this has never happened to me, thankfully. Not that I'd care, nor would it work. If I got outbid by someone who immediately attempts to use that item as leverage, I'd tell them to go pound sand (and I might not be nice about it, either, depending on the circumstances :^^: )

I really don't think this thread ought to scare any of the newbies off -- any kind of collecting has competition, and competition tends to bring out the worst in people, sadly. I generally attempt to be as polite and courteous as possible without pulling punches (if you're my competitor, I'll wish you luck, but I still might bid against you if I want something). However, I'm also the type who will simply give it to you straight -- if you piss me off, I'll let you know it straight up ;).

I guess I'm also lucky enough to never have gotten one of those "that should have been mine" messages. Eeek. I pity the person who sends me something like that -- if I bothered to reply at all, it wouldn't be nice. :P
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

cutiebunny wrote:Please send it to (e-mailer's address)."
You should send them something. As a token of your irritation. From here: http://poopsenders.com/
hgeek23
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by hgeek23 »

God I love this community. I love taking time from college life to read these kings of stories. The rs feedback emails must be hilarious.
Follow my olympics journey! http://www.IsraelSkeleton.com http://www.fb.com/IsraelSkeletonAJ
Israel's National Skeleton Athlete, the HebrewHammer.
Avid otaku.
http://www.9000.rubberslug.com
Mackettric
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Mackettric »

cutiebunny wrote:
Quacker wrote: Over the last couple of years I have received the occasional correspondence from RS-feedback ranging from "that piece should have been mine"...
I, too, have received an e-mail like that too through the RS feedback. Someone was really mad that I won the Police uniform Seiya cel that was featured on a Mandarake BWA many years ago, and I received an e-mail like "I did not see this cel until the auction was over. Had I seen the cel beforehand, rest assured that you would not have gotten it for $$. I will pay you double for that cel. Please send it to (e-mailer's address)."
I had a deputy service send me an 'offer' from another cel collector about a cel I'd won on YJ. Apparently the other collector didn't find out about the cel until after the fact and had the deputy email me with an offer, like I'd be happy flipping the cel for double the price. Seems like a lot of collectors think anyone who finds a good bargain on YJ or finds a cel mislabeled or hard to find thinks the cel was 'stolen' the cel from them. If they'd been able to find it, they'd have won it.

Best yet are the RS feedbacks saying another collector 'let' you win an auction like the only way you can win an auction is if they allow you to.

Honestly, I really wonder if having an RS gallery is worth it. Rubberslug just seems to bring the worst out of people rather than just being able to enjoy animation art.