Do you ever feel like you're the 'evil' collector?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Re: Do you ever feel like you're the 'evil' collector?

Post by pixie_princess »

Very few things bother me (related to cels) nowadays. The infrequent cases of backstabbing do sadden me. That a person is willing to throw someone to the wolves simply to gain material wealth is disheartening. Or those who 'sell' cels only to turn around and decide for some reason or another to never ship out.

In the past, some of the folks who bid/purchased cels just to resell them used to frustrate me a bit. Really though, life is too short to get angry over something like that.

I don't think I've made many enemies... I know there was one person once who said I "stole their cel" but aside from that, I think most folk are generally ok with it as long as they can have visitation rights with the cel in question. :) I certainly don't have the capacity to go out and buy all the cels I love, so that probably saves me from most cases of cel envy. Basically, I think it's easier for some folk to see that a collection is built over time without taking all the good stuff so that more cels are left for everyone to partake in. The lucky ones who can amass a collection in a year that would take the average person 6 or more years normally are more of a target for such envy. I'm just not a threat :D

So I guess I see myself as mostly white with maybe a little bit of black contamination - if only because I tend to be vocal about certain things. Amelia standing on a tree branch spouting a justice speech comes to mind. XD :hammer
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I have a feeling I've been considered the "evil collector" by some during my 9 years of collecting. I know I have been frustrated by certain auctions during this time. However, I don't worry about it much anymore. It all comes down to how much do you want to pay for an item and what can you afford. Sometimes I can afford to pay more and sometimes I can't due to RL circumstances and how much I really want something.

There have been times when I have sold a cel to someone b/c I know they want it more than I do and I could use the money for something else I want more (or for bills). There have also been times when I have been asked if I would sell something back to someone, but I really loved the cel and wanted to keep it too much to sell it back. Does this make me evil or greedy or mean? I hope not. Do I worry about it? No, but I do remember it, and feel a little guilty about it. But not enough to let go of a cel I really wanted. Have I regretted selling items myself...yes, so I know what it's like.

Some of the collectors I compete with the most are my closest friends in the community. We get past it and accept that the one who gets there first or who can pay the most will get the item. That the way it works. And if they decide to sell it, I may have another shot at it. I have found several of my wishlist items on the second or third time seeing it for auction/sale...so I never give up on getting that dream item. One cel took me 6 years, but I finally have it after I lost the initial Mandarake auction. Another cel I stumbled upon a beta member selling and was able to buy it with no hassles at all.
Gonzai wrote:...As for the early updates, sure I catch them, however, I don't get up early and
wait for the updates. It’s called email notification. If your phone is set loud
enough, its sure to wake you when the update occurs. :P
I do this also, but I don't think it works as well at 4:30am compared to 6:30am especially if you are a night owl. :wink:
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
sletia
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sletia »

Oh, I know I'm not very popular in the community. That's why I don't post much. My green-eyed monster is a cute little mazoku who makes me quite the bitch. :|
~Hellmaster-sama~
Rabid collector of the little demon
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I have come to the conclusion today that yes, yes indeed I am a evil collector.
I will not say more than that. Just all is fair in love and collecting artwork. ^_^

Sends hugs and kisses to my friend!! /kis
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I guess I should finally respond to my topic :hurt:

I feel like I'm the bad guy most of the time in this hobby, and it's been like this since I first joined RS and had to deal with certain Sailor Moon collectors claiming cels on YJ as being wishlist items on a weekly basis. I wouldn't play along with their stunt, and I owe a lot of my collection to sniping it from them at the last second. At the time, a lot of them were upset that I wouldn't play along, and I remember that there was some name calling in the RS chat.

Though I don't buy too many cels now, I find that sketch collectors can be just as rabid. In addition to seeing fights almost break out in front of a guest at conventions, I've met some sketch collectors that say really mean things. It's not necessary, and while it is a competitive hobby, I'd rather destroy a sketch than give it to these same dolts.

I find that in this hobby, there will always be someone that can and will spend more money on something. There are people that can spend $15K on a shikishi and those people will definetely blow me out of the water. And, that's fine because I don't think I'd enjoy the item that much if I regretted spending that much money for it. I've been around long enough to know that things happen, and sometimes things that you really want will reappear again. And if they don't, that's fine too. I'm happy with what I have, and I appreciate the people the friendly people in this hobby that much more.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

at times, i've felt mischievious; but, never evil. years ago, i was always "under the gun" because i would get constantly emailed telling me to stay away from an auction, claiming ownership, most likely out of fear that i would purchase a cel they were interested in. i've been hated on-- been told to my face via chat or via gallery feedback. i felt like a black sheep. (yep, it's true. and i've been told that i'm popular... i'm still denying that. lol) i contemplated leaving the community one time, because it was that bad for me, but i found my backbone and told them to shove it. i still remember being frustrated at times when i lost an auction, but i'm glad i did because i realize that it was likely an item i could not have afforded back then compared to now.

i'd rather have an honest person come forward and share how they feel rather than have rapid dishonesty, gossip, and backstabbing run through the community again. i agree with animeobessed, at the end of the day it all depends on how much of a risk you personally want to take financially to win at auction. community is more important to me than paper and plastic.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
rosesleep
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by rosesleep »

The way I perceive it - if you paid for it then its yours. Lets just say I had a dose of "evilness" in the collecting field when my friend purchased a cel - I fancy - behind my back. We didn't fight or anything but I did annoy him for a while about his backstabbing-two-face collecting tactic (Hey Joost! How you doin? :P)

But sniping and placing my highest bid on certain items at the last minute are my bidding habits - quite doubtful that is considered malicious or tasteless. But hey, if you gotta have it, then give it your best shot! :wink:
ginga123

Post by ginga123 »

Amen!
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I can't recall ever doing anything sneaky or evil. /hmm

I've never bid on anything just to drive the price up and make someone else use up their money. I've never tried to secretly figure out someone's bidding amount or even bid at the last second. I didn't look up what other people bid on and drive up their auctions. I only bid on what I want. I've never bid on anything with plans to resell. I've never tried to get on someone's good side just so I can see the stuff before other people see it. I'm sure I've annoyed a few people, but I've never tried to backstab them or anything.

And I've never added backgrounds to cels and then claim that I didn't know if the background was matching or not. :D

I can't think of anything else that's sneaky or evil that doesn't involve selling procedures. :P

I tended to avoid bidding on popular shows. The constant losing was too frustrating to me so I tried to collect from less popular anime that still had decent from them available.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I have decided that she who thinks she is evil, really has no clue what evil really is.

I have seen evil up close and personal, and you are no where near it. :P
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

Keropi wrote:I can't recall ever doing anything sneaky or evil. /hmm

I've never bid on anything just to drive the price up and make someone else use up their money. I've never tried to secretly figure out someone's bidding amount or even bid at the last second. I didn't look up what other people bid on and drive up their auctions. I only bid on what I want. I've never bid on anything with plans to resell. I've never tried to get on someone's good side just so I can see the stuff before other people see it. I'm sure I've annoyed a few people, but I've never tried to backstab them or anything.

And I've never added backgrounds to cels and then claim that I didn't know if the background was matching or not. :D
Ditto for the most part. I have counter-sniped a couple of auctions that I was already winning until the last seconds. Otherwise, I prefer to be more straightforward in my bidding. In the end people are more important than any cel or sketch. I do not think I would enjoy the cel as much if I felt I got it by not playing completely above the board in an auction.

I have had dealers and collectors offer me items privately/early, but I am not aware of manipulating myself into that position. I have been collecting for a long time, and many people know what I like to collect and email me when they have something they think I might like. It would be foolish to turn down an item I really wanted just because I am privately contacted about it. In contrast, I see no point in kissing up or buying something I do not want just to keep in a seller's good graces. I try to be honest and not play games. I suppose I may not get as many early-bird opportunities that way, but over time the ones I do get tend to be closer to my taste.
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

I am a very low level cel collector. I don't have a wide circle of contacts, and my budget is rather pathetic ^^; As a result, I sincerely doubt that I get in anybody's way, or that I could even get to the level where people think I "hog" all of the cels of a series. I lose at least 90% of auctions that I bid on, and this can leave me feeling very frustrated and bitter. Several times I have considered giving up collecting because I just can't seem to get the cels I really want. For that to happen I'd have to be filthy rich! Lately I've tried to collect less popular shows so that it won't be so painful, but somehow it's not the same. I want to to have a fantastic collection, a collection I can be proud of, but with so many people out there I guess it just isn't going to happen.

I really wish that I had opened my world to cels sooner. I think I really missed out, and now most of my wish list cels are probably hidden away, not to be seen until the owner somehow decides to get rid of it. And this is assuming, of course, that they put it up for auction and not simply give it to a friend.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

That's a tough comment to answer. It's true that for some series there was a "glory day" when a lot of inventory came onto the market and went relatively cheaply, and a good collection could be put together on a shoestring. (But A+ stuff, even for CCS, always went high.) And it's true that the supply has gotten notably thinner, and with more people collecting, competition has picked up. For my most desired series, I now routinely expect a battle, and lose more often than I win.

On the other hand, patience is getting to be more and more an asset. The nice thing about losing an auction is that you get to keep all your money, and you force the other bidder to pay your whole bid plus two bits. (Yeah but I know --- :hurt: :bawl :flushie ) It's part of the hunt, and if you lose an auction you still live and keep all your weapons to bid again.

And I've always said that the first thing a collector needs to acquire is good taste. If that's the motivation for what you go after, and not just snapping up second- and third-rate images just to have something from "that" series, then your collection may be small, but you can be proud of everything you own. Golly, you've got Hitomi Kato's roughs from the "kissy" part of the Tennimon OP sequence! and some great Pokémon cels like this one. And I know how competitive Poké-llectors can be at auction time.

I'd say keep the faith, and if no opportunity to spend your budget comes this week (or if :bwall drat it you lose the auction again) then put that sum into your bidwar ammo box and add next week's budget to it. You still won't be filthy rich (heck, I never have been or ever will be) but your power level will keep rising while your lucky opponent's will sink. And if you're canny and patient, you'll catch Mr. Gautroques napping some week and add one very nice prize to your gallery. And if you do this slowly but surely, your collection will stay modest, focused, and very high in quality. (And don't ignore the chances that gallery offers provide!)

You will grow in evil power and be proud of that too!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Well, I have now met evil. I ran into a collector this year who decided to throw me under the bus by fabricating a story about a situation in which he had no idea as to what happened and telling this to a guest of honor in order to put me on that guest's black list solely because I ended up with two color sketches from that guest and he only got a black/white sketch(which was still very nice).

What kind of a jealous, insecure arse does that? There are so many people in this hobby that have better collections that I, but I would never consider this kind of behavior. I don't get mad that people have a cel or sketch that I want, or that they outbid on an auction item. Yeah, I might really want that item, but I don't secretly plan to ruin that person's life or hobby just because they own something I would love to own.

Said collector takes great pride in knowing that he ended up getting better sketches than you at a convention. As long as he feels that he has the better collection, he'll talk to you. But if he feels threatened or believes that you got a better deal than him, he's a complete jerk. He even throws his girlfriend under the bus if it serves him. In line, he tells me that he's holding a spot for, what I figured, was his girlfriend. Not a problem. One of his slimy collector buddies comes along, and he gives that spot to him. When his girlfriend comes up to him about ten minutes later, he points to the back of the line and says "Back of the line is over there".

(jaw drop)

Yeah, like I said, a real arse.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Yeah - there really are all kinds of asshats at these cons. I heard a story where
a collector nearly knocked over a child while they were pushing thier way to get
to the front of a line to see a guest. Yes - a child for God sakes. Its like the
pot calling the kettle black. :roll