It finally dawned on me.

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

It finally dawned on me.

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I have been in the process of discovering new series/characters and have been trying to look up a few cels of character in the process and realized, I don't have an extensive list of all the online cel shops that are still around and have to struggle to just remember all the names of the ones I've previously visited! I don't recall ever seeing a list on the forum either, so if there isn't any controversial reason for there not being one around(with exceptions of certain shops which don't wish to reveal themselves), I'd like to organize a small list of sites with other members help. I think not only it'd help me out but also the newer members to come who may wish to have an idea on where they could start their searches on.

can fellow members post their thoughts on this idea?
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: It finally dawned on me.

Post by AR-99 »

I noted down this thread from the For sale section as it lists 3 stores, although only 1 person responded.

It would probably help to also retitle the thread to something that mentions online cel websites or similar.
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

This site attempts to keep track: http://www.cels.org/db/keep-track.pl?cat:1

I think the other ones hide underground maybe fearing studios will sue them? Not really sure why they hide, why Midori hides her site too....

Shops started to dwindle and a few show up at anime expo....the market seems to be drying up....
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

The tracker site that is most current is:
http://mise.x25.se/pub/keeptrack/

An old list with mostly out-of-date links is at:
http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~animecel/eanimecelcom.htm
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks so much guys! I think this might be just about all the working cel shop sites still around, minus the secretive ones. I think benten provided a very complete list of whats still out there so this can also become the guide to follow for future cel shop reference for newer members.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

moonrabitt wrote:I think the other ones hide underground maybe fearing studios will sue them? Not really sure why they hide, why Midori hides her site too....

Shops started to dwindle and a few show up at anime expo....the market seems to be drying up....
yeah I wonder why some sites perfer to stay private as well. perhaps they are trying to prove if theres a will theres a way :D I also remember someone mentioning that they want to stay clear away from none collectors, something to do with dealer home being rubbed or something.

I think nowadays the best place to look for production art is YJA, its could even be the buyer and dealer's final frontier. I couldn't help but wonder what cel/sketch market would be like in 5 years.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

IMHO, dealer sites are almost dead, in comparison to days past. I've had the link benten posted bookmarked for years (and its probably the most up-to-date list of cel dealers currently), and I find that I rarely use it, because most dealers just don't update anymore. :O

There are a few dealers who are still active: Anime Ed still updates weekly, Midori (private), and occasionally Asylum, Madoka and a few others, but mostly ... dealers aren't where you find the artwork anymore. It's all YJ, Mandarake, and collector-to-collector sales (private sites, eBay, etc), it seems. I think it's been years now since I've bought anything from a dealer site! Most of what I get (if I'm buying anything, really) now comes from a few american art dealers on eBay, Mandarake, and YJ.

cels.org used to be the index for all things cels on the WWW, but the near-death of that site is probably a testament to how much the cel market has changed over the years.

Sad, but it's pretty much the reality of this hobby today. :l
teppy
Anime Geek

Post by teppy »

zerospace wrote:IMHO, dealer sites are almost dead, in comparison to days past. I've had the link benten posted bookmarked for years (and its probably the most up-to-date list of cel dealers currently), and I find that I rarely use it, because most dealers just don't update anymore. :O

There are a few dealers who are still active: Anime Ed still updates weekly, Midori (private), and occasionally Asylum, Madoka and a few others, but mostly ... dealers aren't where you find the artwork anymore. It's all YJ, Mandarake, and collector-to-collector sales (private sites, eBay, etc), it seems. I think it's been years now since I've bought anything from a dealer site! Most of what I get (if I'm buying anything, really) now comes from a few american art dealers on eBay, Mandarake, and YJ.

cels.org used to be the index for all things cels on the WWW, but the near-death of that site is probably a testament to how much the cel market has changed over the years.

Sad, but it's pretty much the reality of this hobby today. :l
Yep, Cels.org and Animanga.com used to be hopping. Which is worse: missing out on a cel on a dealer site because you didn't check their site often enough/missed their update or missing out on a cel after a tense biding war with deep-pocketed folks? I do miss the days when there was some more equilibrium in cel procurement for the average Joe. Now it's auctions, auctions, auctions...(and private sales/trades).
Looking for: Excellent cels of Misa Hayase from Macross.