scanning those cels for web display

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

what's your preference?

Scan cels without matching backgrounds with nothing behind the cel
42%
Scan cels without matching backgrounds with either unmatching copy, original unmatching backgrounds or ANY background as long as it looks nice
46%
Scan cels without matching backgrounds with a very close (similar) unmatching background
4%
Scan cels without matching backgrounds with a copy matching background ONLY
8%

Total votes: 26

kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

scanning those cels for web display

Post by kizu »

I keep flipping back and forth with this issue so i thought I'd get some opinions here. Please see the poll. Thanks :-)
Last edited by kizu on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: scanning those cels for web display

Post by sensei »

You might add my own preference, which is "Scan cels behind a piece of colored art or scrapbooking paper that complements the colors in the image." In some cases I suggest the background (as in partial images that required a book layer of a door, wall, tree, or something) but in most cases I just try the cel against different colors and textures until I find one that the cel "likes."

Cels were designed to have something colorful behind them, and so leaving the background blank, while it may be more "authentic" somehow diminishes their impact to my eyes.
kizu

Post by kizu »

Hi Sensei. I amended option #2. I really think that's what I was going for anyway - as long it looked nice. :)

I used to think that cels needed a background as they tend to look better when they have one. I figured it's a gallery and it's important to present it in it's most pleasing form... However as time went on I became concerned about representing the cel "faithfully" - which is a different kind of beauty on it's own. When I think about it, it's almost like a battle between restoration and conservation albeit very loosely.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

I can't say I ever do only ONE of those things... if I scan a cel with an non-matching background (or anything else), I frequently also scan it without said background and upload that image as well ;).
kizu

Post by kizu »

zerospace wrote:I can't say I ever do only ONE of those things... if I scan a cel with an non-matching background (or anything else), I frequently also scan it without said background and upload that image as well ;).
Hi there zerospace. In which case I'd have to ask - what would you use as the primary image?
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

kizu wrote:
zerospace wrote:I can't say I ever do only ONE of those things... if I scan a cel with an non-matching background (or anything else), I frequently also scan it without said background and upload that image as well ;).
Hi there zerospace. In which case I'd have to ask - what would you use as the primary image?
Oh, I usually use the one with the background as the primary image and then add the one without to the sketches area. I find it handy to be able to show a cel without a non-matching background, especially if the background makes it difficult to tell what is on the cel and what isn't. ;)

Example: http://www.zero-space.net/gallery2/disp ... ?itemid=33

I haven't been entirely consistent with this method (laziness :P), but when I don't have a massive pile of stuff to scan, I'll do it :).
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I, too, will scan the cel with a non-matching, but appropriate background. The scene looks 'dead' to me without a background.

I know there are purists out there who feel that, if you don't have the matching or a copy of the matching background, you should just scan the cel solo. But, I feel that, since it's my collection, I should be able to display the item in whatever manner I choose. The scene looks complete with a background, regardless if it's matching or not.

Besides, not like the young'uns today will know it's a non-matching background unless I tell them otherwise. It surprises me how many of the current con attendees haven't viewed anything older than a couple of years. And if you try to recommend older seres to them, they'll tell you that the concept was done by a more recent series, so there's no reason to watch the old one.

Makes me think of the South Park episode, "Simpsons Did It". :)
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

This is something that has definitely changed with me over the years. I used to be adamant about only using matching backgrounds, and I was absolutely okay with scans of cels with only a white background. But now, I like to display cels with a background, whether it's matching or not. I still like to match them with generally the same type of background, but if the colors look cool, I might go with something entirely different. I have also painted my own backgrounds by hand and also with photoshop a couple times. :)
kizu

Post by kizu »

Well I come from wanting to put a background to every cel to not wanting to put anything behind the cel. It's so cumbersome to be flipping back and forth... There is one thing I've noticed about me over the years, I'm getting very picky on what unmatching background to use on a cel. It has to be the right color, the right setting, the right size relative to the cel and so on and so forth. Also I guess with RS background resource disappearing I'm having a tough time finding suitable backgrounds for my cels. Yes I've gone a little crazy thinking this over since I'm rebuilding my gallery. LOL. :cucu
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

For me, it really depends on the cel.

If I have the matching background, or if I have an unmatching background that aesthetically pleases me, I’ll use that.

If I think the image on the cel really needs something in particular behind it to give the image some kind of context I’ll try to find something similar to what was on screen.

If I feel the cel really needs the exact background from the anime, I don’t have it, and I’m feeling ambitious, I’ll screen-cap the scene, adapt the screen-cap in image editing software, and printout something to put behind the cel.

If I want to show some detail on the cel, like air-brushing, or I think the image is too light to scan on white, then I might scan it on black, a solid color, or something else.

But, I’m also not adverse to just scanning on the white (or light blue) that my scanner lid gives me.

kizu

Post by kizu »

Thanks for the demonstration GuyverIII. I just also wanted to compliment your Cockpit cels. I really liked those.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I personally prefer the original background or a custom made one that is as close to the original as it can be, especially for the vintage cels. For my Anime cels, I prefer backgrounds that are as close to the original, or ones that look excellent with the cel. I think cels look best when they are "completed". :-)
kizu

Post by kizu »

star-phoenix wrote:I personally prefer the original background or a custom made one that is as close to the original as it can be, especially for the vintage cels. For my Anime cels, I prefer backgrounds that are as close to the original, or ones that look excellent with the cel. I think cels look best when they are "completed". :-)
Hi there. May I ask what differentiates the vintage and the anime cel in terms of your background preferences (especially where it may look excellent with an anime cel - though not as close to the original background). Thanks! :bounce
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

kizu wrote:
star-phoenix wrote:I personally prefer the original background or a custom made one that is as close to the original as it can be, especially for the vintage cels. For my Anime cels, I prefer backgrounds that are as close to the original, or ones that look excellent with the cel. I think cels look best when they are "completed". :-)
Hi there. May I ask what differentiates the vintage and the anime cel in terms of your background preferences (especially where it may look excellent with an anime cel - though not as close to the original background). Thanks! :bounce
Really, the difference between my Anime art vs my vintage art is cost. One of my vintage art is 10 times more than one of my Anime cels. So, I would find more importance in having a background that is as close to the original set up as possible. And if I cannot get the original key master background, I will have a custom painted one made of the original set up. In terms of value, people would pay WAY more for a cel with an original background (and WAY more for a Master background set up, not just "any" original background from the film), and would pay more for a piece with a custom made background that is just like the original vs. any background at all.

I put in way more value in master set ups or even original backgrounds fromt he film, than anything else. But, when that is out of the option, I would hire a professional restorationist to reconstruct the original background, and would even use the same kind of paint material. This is more my personal preference.

But, to sum up, it all has to do with cost. For a custom background, the cost can be even as high as $250-800 for one. So, unless the cel is valuable, I would never consider doing one. That is why I don't consider it with my Anime cels . . . .
Last edited by star-phoenix on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kizu

Post by kizu »

Thanks for the clarification. I pretty much guessed the issue was money in this particular case. Certainly there are some anime cels worth a few thousands however it's hard to find someone who would/could do the background nor have the right materials for the job (I've yet to find someone who could do this for me and I've looked). Though I'm sure from a reselling perspective - there would be less return on a custom background for an anime cel. On another hand in the past it's been argued that backgrounds "help" the cel, some people view this negatively as "dressing" while some view it as necessary, though I think beautiful large image cels tend to stand out whether or not it has a background or not, while those with a smaller image (more white space) benefit from cropping. It's always interesting to see how the painter can fill in those itsy bitsy spaces. :bounce