Where are they now?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Where are they now?

Post by cutiebunny »

After making the rounds through auction sites for years now, it dawned on me that there's a lot of production artwork from productions where the artwork was/has been for sale that I have yet to see. I'm not talking about sequences where they're just one image, but those where there are many, if not hundreds of sketches/cels (like a bank sequence or artwork of a certain character) where I haven't see anything.

Has anyone else been surprised as to the scarcity of artwork from certain sequences even though there's been no shortage of artwork from that series? And if so, what exactly have you not seen that you would love to see?

For me, it's some of the bank sequences that were featured in Sailor Moon. I have yet to see a cel from early in Sailor Jupiter's transformation, with the lightning special effects visible. I also have never seen any Jupiter bank attack cels for sale. This surprises me because, in Japan, Jupiter was one of the least popular characters. It makes me think that someone, somewhere, has several of these sequences stashed somewhere, and may eventually release it. It's kinda like the recent inundation of Chibimoon, Mercury and Mars bank cels - up until a couple months ago, I had only seen 1-2 cels from Mars' "Burning Mandala" attack, but with someone releasing almost the entire sequence, there's been several of these cels on the market recently.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Where are they now?

Post by sensei »

From Cardcaptor Sakura I'd like to see some cels of The Jump Card in its monstrous kaijuu form, stomping through Penguin Park and terrorizing the neighborhood. Cels of The Jump in its small size have shown up pretty often (I even have one!). But images from the very funny Jumpzilla scene (like this one) have been nowhere to be seen!
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

I'd love to see some Akazukin Chacha bank cels, specifically from the transformation. I mean there's a lot of Chacha cels around and some even has matching backgrounds still, it never got licensed so I don't think it ever got popular in the US so I'm kind of wondering where they are at. Anime-museum had a lot of those cels even opening and ending credits but not the transformation ones. All I can think of is someone who initially had access to the entire sequence (like transformation cels of robot and magic girls and even combining sequences of super robots) would recognize immediately that if anything those would be the valuable cels to keep and so does so. :suga:
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I kinda think, at least for older shows, that had special bank cels or the really good stuff been available at one time, it was a long time ago; and whoever picked up those cels back in the day still have them very close to their hearts and would never dream of letting them go...which probably cuts into what's available today. xD This almost constant inaccessibility also adds to the stupid exhilaration that sweeps over you when you actually DO find something rare!! Holy cow, that is a beautiful feeling!! :P

I think I've been pretty lucky over the years to acquire some exceptional pieces from my top shows, but there are still some that I wish would pop up some day. I am a total sucker for henshin bank cels, especially from Samurai Troopers. I've seen some currently available of other characters, but Ryo is where my heart is. Shots from either his usual Rekka henshin or Kikoutei henshin are extremely rare to find...but I guess not impossible. ^^;;

Comparatively, though, there are a couple series I like that are extremely difficult if not impossible to find ANYTHING from. I'll use the first Ys OVA, 7 episodes. I have only ever seen TWO cels from this show when there ought to be many more. Sure, it's an obscure show to begin with, but I would think 7 episodes is enough to make more cels available...?

Oh well, the hunt continues!! :D
moonrabitt

Post by moonrabitt »

I've been lucky in finding sketches/cels from some of my favorite shows, the only one that escapes me is "Majin Neuro" I've looked high and low and I can't find SQUAT!!!!!! (besides the settei) U'd think such a less known show would make it on the market. It makes me wonder where in the heck the sketches are @_@
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I'm guessing that either (1)these sequences were sold long ago and have never reappeared on the secondary market, or (2)the animators liked the sequence so much that THEY took the art home.
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

I’ve been looking for more than ten years, but I’m still searching for :dlook , and wondering what happened to :shrug ,
the production art from …

Running Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaIM4OOZB_A)
All three of the shorts from “Neo-Tokyo” are super rare, but I have been able to nab at least one cel from each of the other shorts.
I’ve still yet to have seen any production materials from Kawajiri’s “Running Man”.

Judge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2bN2N1w4L0)
I’ve never seen any production materials from this two-part OVA.

BAOH (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akMiFmdtCyA)
I’ve got a copy settei set, but I’ve never seen a cel or sketch from the OVA (not even of the dog!).

Doomed Megapolis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQqikjesbHw)
This OVA series, directed by Rin Taro, is based on a pretty famous novel. But, like BAOH, all I’ve been able to find is a copy settei set.
Grico
Kamisama - God

Post by Grico »

I'd suspect for some more obscure series that they are in Japan somewhere, maybe even for sale but just not by people who sell them online at all. Certainly for some shows you might think some obsessive fans bought whole sequences right when they first became available and have held on to them ever since. Key Sailormoon cels spring to mind as something a fan would buy as soon as they could and never let leave their possession.
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by genomexec »

I will second Running Man, as well as the other two shorts from Neo Tokyo (Labyrinth Labyrintos).

I've seen only a small handful of cels from the Mermaid's Scar and Mermaid Forest OVAs.

Also seen extremely few cels from the old anime Tokimeki Tonight.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

i second what has been said.

either it's with one of the original animators or a collector bought/won the piece. the other option is the artwork has been destoryed.