Anime-Beta ArtBook

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

Anime-Beta ArtBook

Post by HigurashiArchives »

Hello Everyone! I wanted to get a chance to see everyone's favorite artwork piece, so I thought up a little game:

"You've just been contacted and *insert famous book publisher here* wants to use one of your cels, genga, douga in their next newest artbook!
Now here's the catch, you can only choose one piece and you need to write a sentence or two on why you choose it.
Easy Mode: Choose your favorite, write about why it's your favorite.
Medium Mode: Choose your most valuable/rariest piece, write about why it's rare or valuable.
Hard Mode: Objectively choose a visually significant piece, Write about how that piece encompasses the unique style of it's series."

I'll go first: (Medium Mode)
Series: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai
About: This production douga is an authentic production item from the opening of Higurashi Kai. Production artwork from the Higurashi seasons 1 and 2 are quite rare and an item like this is truly unique. Not only is it a piece from the opening credits, which are highly sought after, it contains a group shot as well as being an over-sized pan sketch. All of these elements combined make this a truly unique and rare piece that I am happy I can share with everyone.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Anime-Beta ArtBook

Post by sensei »

I'll try the hard mode.

This is Madoushi in the Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 1, from one of the climactic action scenes, just before she yells DIIIIIIE!!!!!! and nukes poor Sakura with the mother of all water bombs. The image is a complete shuusei genga, done by the animation director of this part of the movie, I believe Kumiko Takahashi, overall AD for the whole series. I'd choose it because it is a stunning example of the way complicated emotions were captured in the series, especially the two movies. As I say in the note in my gallery, Here the character herself is exposed: hurt, angry, homicidal, and -- yes, you can see it in the tightness of the face -- deathly frightened in her heart of hearts.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Ok why this image?

Simply there are a few reasons of which some must be placed under the spoiler screen in case one has never seen the Nadesico Movie or the series that proceeded it.

First off there has not been very many cels ever surface from the Nadesico Movie "The Prince of Darkness" so that in it's self makes it rare.
The fact that when it first appeared on YJ it had a starting price off 150K yen caught my eye and I watched it list, disappear and then relist over a 3 year period until it finally dropped in price to what that I was willing to spend.

The image it's self seems fairly normal. A girl is lying awake watching a fish floating overhead.
What is actually going on
Ruri who is now the captain of the Nadesico is the girl in this cel. In the original series even though she was the youngest crew member, she seemed to be the most adult one in the original series. In this scene she has worked up the guts to ask a boy who is a crew member she likes to spend the night in her cabin on board the ship. He being the same age as her is dense and falls asleep leaving Ruri to lat awake imagining a vision of a glowing fish as it swims accross the ceiling. This is a "throwback" to the original series where in an episode Ruri as achild is shown living in a forced learning center in which she had a fish mobile in her room but also she heard salmon like fish jumping in a river outside of the school so fish are a source of comfort to her. Good thing cause in this scene she is definatly frustraighted that the boy can not figure out that her invite was for more than a slumber party
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Macron one
Kamisama - God

Post by Macron one »

Medium Mode for me. My choice would be this rough genga of Sei Sato from Maria sama ga miteru, which is significant in that it is the only sketch i've encountered that shows her with semi-long hair, and one of the very few sketches from the first season to have survived. In fact, the small set of season 1 Marimite rough sketches i own is the only one i have ever seen come up for sale that wasn't from season 4. Rough though it is, this sketch also impressed me in still effectively showing off much of her personality (intelligent and caring, but with a cheeky, playful side) through her facial expression.

JWR wrote:Ok why this image?

Simply there are a few reasons of which a few must be placed under the spoiler screen in case one has never seen the Nadesico Movie or the series that proceeded it.

First off there has not been very many cels ever surface from the Nadesico Movie "The Prince of Darkness" so that in it's self makes it rare.
The fact that when it first appeared on YJ it had a starting price off 150K yen caught my eye and I watched it list, disappear and then relist over a 3 year period until it finally dropped in price that I was willing to spend.

The image it's self seems fairly normal. A girl is lying awake watching a fish floating overhead.
What is actually going on
Ruri who is now the captain of the Nadesico is the girl in this cel. In the original series even though she was the youngest crew member, she seemed to be the most adult one in the original series. In this scene she has worked up the guts to ask a boy who is a crew member she likes to spend the night in her cabin on board the ship. He being the same age as her is dense and falls asleep leaving Ruri to lat awake imagining a vision of a glowing fish as it swims accross the ceiling. This is a "throwback" to the original series where in an episode Ruri is shown living in a forced learning center in which she had a fish mobile in her room but also she heard salmon like fish jumping in a river outside of the school so fish are a source of comfort to her. Good thing cause in this scene she is definatly frustraighted that the boy can not figure out that her invite was for more than a slumber party

I hesitate to do this, considering your fondness for this scene, but as Beta's resident Ruri fanboy i feel it wouldn't be right not to mention it. This scene is certainly significant, but it does not portray what you think it does. You've misinterpreted both the meaning of the scene and Ruri's motivations. I urge you to rewatch ep.18 of Nadesico and the movie immediately afterwards, and to pay attention to the following:
The main purpose of ep.18 of Nadesico is to show Ruri's quest to find out about her family and past. In this episode, Fish are symbolic of Ruri's desire to discover people she can call family and a place that she can call home (one of her earliest memories is the sound of fish splashing). She finds out the identity of both her biological parents and the 'orphanage' (genetical research facility) that raised her, only to discover that neither qualifies as anything resembling a true family. At the orphanage, she again hears the sound of fish splashing and, with Akito's help, rushes outside to see many hundreds of fish swimming through the stream. It is at that precise moment that she realizes that her true family is the one she's been a part of ever since she joined the Nadesico: Yurika, Akito, Minato, Megumi, Ryoko and the rest of the ship's crew.
This realization is also key to many of her scenes in the movie. It is important to note that Hari has a very similar background to that of Ruri. He is also a genetic engineering guinneapig who never had the luxury of a normal upbringing, which in his case had the effect of making him overly susceptable to emotional outbursts. This time, it is Ruri who plays the role of big sister/foster parent and takes it upon herself to provide Hari with the same sort of support that she herself received from the Nadesico crew. Hari's obvious crush on Ruri is also similar to Ruri's crush on Akito in that the object of his affections is not interested in him romantically, but instead becomes his 'family', providing him with emotional support, which is something that he in reality needs even more, even if he himself doesn't realize that yet. In fact, his actions in the movie make it clear that he still hasn't quite grasped the importance of family, as shown by his jealousy and repeated objections to Ruri bringing the old Nadesico crew back together.
The other major point of importance is the fact that in the timeframe between the TV series and the movie, Ruri had been adopted by Akito and Yurika, and the three of them had lived together as a genuine family prior to the disappearance of Yurika and Akito. Their supposed death hit Ruri extremely hard, and as she learns that they are actually still alive, it becomes quite clear that this realization is the main thing occupying her mind. The scene that your cel is from and the preceding train and bathhouse scenes in fact show this quite clearly, with Ruri's mind still focussed on Akito, after having spotted him on a train.

Putting these observations together, what this cel tells us is as follows: Ruri stares at the fish, signifying her desire to reunite with her missing familymembers Akito and Yurika, after the sudden discovery that they are still alive. At the same time, the concept of family is reinforced by Ruri playing the part of foster parent for Hari, giving him needed support after his emotional outburst earlier that day. Finally, there's the irony of Ruri's crush on Akito, while she is herself oblivious to Hari's crush on her.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Macron, I can admit I picked up a different vibe from the scene than you for I never tried to get to far into the psychology part other than how my wife and I took it at first watching.
I guess my take was reinforced by the next scene of the other crew giving Hari a hard time over just going to sleep.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Going somewhere between options “Medium” and “Hard” I would choose this cel from “Dallos”:

“Dallos” was the first OVA ever released. It was created by a young Studio Pierrot (“Naruto”, “Bleach”) in 1983-84, and was directed by up-and-coming Mamoru Oshii ( “Ghost In The Shell”, “Patlabor”) and supervised by Oshii’s mentor, Hisayuki Toriumi (“Area 88”, “Gatchaman”).

“Dallos” was a groundbreaking series. As an OVA, it was freed from the editorial constraints of Television animation. With its unforgiving, emotional storyline; gruesome action and violence; and depressing, self-destructive ending, “Dallos” helped pave the way for the hard-edged sci-fi anime OVA boom of the 1980s and early ‘90s in Japan.

This cel is one of only two shots of the climax of this series, and the only one showing the face of the series’ protagonist, Shun Nonomura. (spoiler below)
The scene is from the end of the series. Shun honors his grandfather’s final request: to be taken to the opposite side of the moon to die amongst the graves of his friends and peers, while looking back at the planet of his birth. After his grandfather’s death, Moon-born Shun, formerly a peaceful ordinary citizen, proclaims that he will join with terrorist leader, Doug, and fight against Earth’s Gestapo-like rule and victimization of the Moonopolis miners; even though he knows they have no way of winning and his actions will lead to greater consequences and atrocities against the miners. Unlike the miners, he can’t just take whatever punishment Earth gives him and pray to Dallos (God). He can’t believe in faith and hope for change. He has to do something for himself.

Here, Shun looks out from the harsh lunar landscape at a serene blue Earth, as the audience listens to a voiceover of the OVA’s ending speech from the Earth Government, stating: “… a group of radicals amongst the colonists are trying to ferment confusion and violence on the peaceful moon. We can’t allow such disorder to take place.”
However, if I was actually contacted by the editors of a book, I suppose they would be telling me what they wanted, since that‘s what happened when a magazine wanted to use a couple of my cel images. :wink:
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by HigurashiArchives »

GuyvarIII wrote:Going somewhere between options “Medium” and “Hard” I would choose this cel from “Dallos”:

“Dallos” was the first OVA ever released.
This cel is one of only two shots of the climax of this series, and the only one showing the face of the series’ protagonist, Shun Nonomura.
Holy heck! That's impressive! And it looks like it's in great shape!