RS: Cannot delete or edit thumbnails for older items??

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

RS: Cannot delete or edit thumbnails for older items??

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Hi guys, I posted this in the RS forum, but thought maybe more people would see it and be able to comment on it here.

If you've browsed through my gallery lately, you'll notice that there are a mix of small and larger thumbnail sizes throughout the gallery. It looks really yucky and makes the page display really wonky, but I'm trying to slowly phase out the smaller thumbnail sizes. But many of my cels were originally uploaded in 2002...and I am somehow unable to either delete or edit the thumbnail images at all. Has anyone run into this problem before? I delete the old thumbnail image and when it disappears, I go over and select a new thumbnail image and upload it. When the page reloads, the old thumbnail is back from the dead and refuses to to go away no matter how many times I repeat this process. Then, the item is listed as "updated" even though nothing actually changes. Really quite annoying. xP I hope there is an easy fix for this. I tested uploading the cel as a new addition and it works fine, but the view count is, of course, reset to 0. I don't really want to demote some of my earliest additions that have gained quite a lot of views over the years like that...

Any ideas??
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: RS: Cannot delete or edit thumbnails for older items??

Post by ReiTheJelly »

As far as I can tell, there isn't any. I've been trying to update some of my thumbnails for several years. Maybe I should just delete the item and reupload it.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

:D gomen hit the wrong button.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

ReiTheJelly wrote:As far as I can tell, there isn't any. I've been trying to update some of my thumbnails for several years. Maybe I should just delete the item and reupload it.
Seriously? *facedesk* don't get me wrong, I love RS, but sometimes I miss having my own site to properly organize things... If something as fundamental as changing an image isn't fixed, this may be one reason to start the move... *sigh* Actually, this was originally why it took me a year or to to get over to RS in the first place. I liked the control of being able to display things as I liked. :P
sensei wrote::D gomen hit the wrong button.
And here I was half expecting you to come back and edit this post. lol
sensei

Post by sensei »

Worth noting that this problem seems to exist only for some of the cels that were imported into the new RS site in 2010. I just went into my site and successfully replaced thumbnails for cels uploaded as far back as 2006. For a post-2010 upload, I was also able to replace the main image. But it's true that for the very earliest set of cels, the ones now being featured in my "quirky tour," I now cannot change the images, even though I wanted to replace crappy 2001-02 scans with better ones. And I've had mixed success with thumbnails: some I can replace (even if I can't replace the main image), others I have exactly the same result as you describe.

Still, replacing the old upload with a new one might give you the added capability of changing the images, at least until Jason has to move the site again. While it's a daunting prospect, I'm tempted to close my gallery temporarily just to reload all my 2002-04 cels to replace the scans and regain control over the images.

Note: What I did was delete the existing thumbnail, then upload the replacement. It's possible that if you try to overwrite the existing thumb that process in itself might prove to have a bug.

After some further experimentation:

I successfully replaced a thumbnail for an item added in 2005; however, I could not replace the large image of this same item. And I successfully replaced a large image for an item added in 2007. However, for that item I could not replace the thumbnail. So it looks as if it is hit-and-miss on this matter across time and cyberspace. Anyone else know when this annoying bug pops up and what its perimeters are?
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

This is the item I keep trying periodically to change the thumbnail for: http://stemcels.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=228640

I used to own a different cel from the same sequence, so when I got this one, I decided to just change the image instead of deleting the older cel and uploading this new one. So...the thumbnail is for the 1st cel I owned, but when visitors click on it...they see a cel from later in the sequence. :D
http://stemcels.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... 553&Page=5