Anybody look at your own online gallery to admire cels?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Anybody look at your own online gallery to admire cels?

Post by BuraddoRun »

It kinda makes me feel goofy, but sometimes I look at my online gallery to view cels rather than the real things. Of course, looking at the real thing is nicer, because you can see intricacies, examine fronts and backs, etc., but of course these are collectables that we don't wanna just pull out daily and expose to the elements. So yeah, sometimes when I want to admire my cels, I just pull up my Rubberslug gallery. The only drawback is that it inflates my page view count and makes it look like I have more visitors than I actually do. :sweatdrop

Anybody else do this?
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Re: Anybody look at your own online gallery to admire cels?

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

this is usually the only way I view the collection nowadays since its simply too much hassle to physically pull them out. and like you, I don't really like to expose artwork to any potential hazard. downside is, whatevers not on the site, I don't get to see either-_-
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I look at my online gallery to admire my cels all the time. And like what everyone says, better than risking damaging the cels by moving them around.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Since my sketches tend to get packed up tight in boxes, it's often a lot simpler for me to pull them up on my own gallery than to haul out the box and open up the polypro bag. In fact, there was a time last year when I realized that I could not actually put my hands on some sketches I knew I had and could visit easily online. That's when I spent a lot of time doing cataloging and reorganizing. The same thing is true of a lesser extent of cel books: new arrivals tended to get put in new cel books in the order in which they arrived, and in a few years it was increasingly difficult to track down any particular cel.

This can be misleading and even dangerous since (as a recent thread stressed) all animation art should be physically inspected regularly to watch for problems. But it's human nature.

I also occasionally trawl down a gallery I haven't visited lately, looking for typos and broken links. And I have a bad habit of habitually making bad word choices out of bad habit in which I get into a habit of badly repeating word choices in the same sentence, which is a habit that is bad. I sometimes spot these and go into my account and zap them, usually with the result of accidentally out important words, which needs to fixed in the next.

Yeah, one's own gallery is endlessly visitable, unfortunately.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

oh goodness yes!
as mentioned already, its much easier and makes more sense than dragging
out the itoyas all the time, and I enjoy immensely browsing through others'
galleries/collections, that gives me motivation to work on my own gallery,
you know, polish around the edges so to speak, fix up those awkward
wordings/phrases/links as sensei mentioned, plus I simply love my cels.
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

Actually that's one of the major purposes of why I have a gallery, to view my collection. This is true especially for sketches and large cels. I do prefer to see my cels in person though so for the ones that are my favorite *cough* Saitou *cough*, I have them not in regular portfolios (they tend to bend when viewing unless you are extra careful... I have them in rigid sleeves, aside from the usual polypro, backing board and stuff. This is way more expensive than portfolios and need a separate form of storage as well. Handling cels by owners are one of the biggest factors that contribute to its deterioration. The less you handle the better off they are, so online galleries are a good way to minimize that.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I used to look at my gallery a lot back when I only had the Tripod website. After I started the Rubberslug site, I didn't want to look at them because I didn't want to inflate the view counts. I wanted to know what the true view counts were without my interference. So then I switched to looking at my JPG pictures instead. :D

I forgot how to look at your Rubberslug larger pictures without adding to the view count. I used to know the old method, but it's changed since the Rubberslug overhaul.
sensei

Post by sensei »

I would not worry about inflating the visit counts in any material way by self-visitation. Every time I check my "top 50" list, I never find any of the cels or galleries in my collection that I've visited recently. In fact, I've begun to wonder what legitimacy, if any, these hit counts actually do have. The only time I find them reliable is when I'm doing the last proofread before reopening my gallery, and the ones listing "0" visits are the ones I haven't checked by going in through my gallery home page to see how it looks.

After that ...
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Yeah, but my Rubberslug gallery has just about always been closed. So for quite a few years the items I looked at the most (about twenty items before I stopped looking) were at the top of the hit count list. Even now just about everything has 53 hits or less so if I looked at them every once in a while it would change the counts too much. :P
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I am completely guilty of doing this, frequently. The majority of views on my page is probably me. xD

But given how horribly out of order the physical cels are stored, it's refreshing to see the each series categorized and ordered by episode and further by scene and frame. I have yet to come across another collector as order obsessed as I can be. I think the only reason why I haven't put the actual cels in correct order yet is because of the huge task it will mean undertaking. :P

The only thing I don't like about going through my online gallery now is that I no longer have control over the older images on Rubberslug. Over the years I've gradually switched to using larger thumbnail images for each page...but I'm not able to upload new images to replace the older (and smaller) thumbnails; so now the pages have a mix of small and large thumbnail images.....and this REALLY drives me nuts. I think you could diagnose me with something.... :O
sensei

Post by sensei »

Keropi wrote:Yeah, but my Rubberslug gallery has just about always been closed. So for quite a few years the items I looked at the most (about twenty items before I stopped looking) were at the top of the hit count list. Even now just about everything has 53 hits or less so if I looked at them every once in a while it would change the counts too much. :P
Sensei heads over and leaves a bunch of eyetracks, notably on the Asatte no Houkou section.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

This might be a stupid musing, but I always thought that everyone looked at the items in their online gallery. Maybe not to the extent that I gawk at them at least daily, but, I always thought that people logged in as members and then viewed their items that way.

I look at my stuff all the time at work. It's just a nice way to break up my day with something colorful and SFW. Sometimes I find things I want to mention about the item, or I reread some of my listings and wonder what I on when I wrote it.