How do you calculate the value of layout sketch?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

How do you calculate the value of layout sketch?

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Just carious. I've seen some single sheet of layout sketch for sketch series sold for as much as their complimentary genga/douga set. yet other times when the layout comes included in the genga/douga set, the price of the set does not really change much. can anyone help me understand the actual worth of the layout sketch compared to the rest of that cut of sketches?
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: How do you calculate the value of layout sketch?

Post by JWR »

I would guess the value could be determined in part as to how much other artwork from that show is avalible.

The layout should be part of the cut set but if for cetain shows in which next to zero sketches survived if the layout piece is the only one out there for sale it could command a good price.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

A layout can command more than a genga/douga from the same show if
it's drawn by a well-known or revered animator or character designer.
There's been a few times in our household where arms and legs were
sacrificed for certain sketches simply because it was done by the
character designer/chief animator as opposed to a regular staff member.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks guys! Tips appreciated.

@JWR, your explanation does make sense, but I've also seen artwork where layouts and the rest of the sets got separated. when there seem to be quite a bit of both layouts and rest of genga/douga sets, layout itself still seem to be commending quite a bit by itself...so I'm guessing that would mostly relate to what Shampoo mentioned, hopefully :)
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I love this question!!

Having a layout sketch with a set definitely increases the set's value to ME if the layout is detailed. Yes, layouts can command more if they're drawn by known artists, but for me, their value is often in the completeness of the image. For a show that has only sketches, images of the scenes are often broken up onto several different sheets. (We're all familiar with this.) Obviously, unlike cels, you can't get a complete image by simply laying the sheets one atop another. However, the layout often shows the entirety of the scene AND often the background as well -- all on a single sheet, in a single image. For that reason, I LOVE really nicely drawn layouts. For scenes where the rest of the genga set images are severely broken up on separate pages, or especially for sets of scenes where character interaction is the important part and the characters in are on separate pages in the set, the layout is sometimes the only sheet I consider to be collectible.

I admit I've turned down at least one *wishlist* set when I found out the image was scattered across several pages. If it had had a detailed layout, I might have still gone for it, but it didn't. I've also bought at least three sets I would have walked away from (for having too "broken up" images) because they came with gorgeous, detailed layouts.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks for the detailed explanation Drac, it gives me a good idea for my question. I can see that preference also is a big determining factor here. I usually do not care for layout too much because I like the neatness of more closer to finish product and even cares about the quality of the paper used, also I don't look into the artist too much but more into image itself. it does make good sense though to me that the completeness of the scene on a single sheet demands a lot of value and that should not be ignored when looking at a set.