Are you Happy....?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Are you Happy....?

Post by cutiebunny »

So, let's say, for some reason, you had to stop collecting artwork today. Your collection, as of this moment, will, size-wise, remain the same. You will never buy another item, nor will you sell one. Your collecting experiences, whether good or bad, will remain unchanged. In regards to the collecting community, you will drop off the face of the earth.

Assuming that your collecting days are now behind you, looking back on your collection, are you happy with it? Why or why not? And if not, what is that item (or items) that would make your collection complete?

In regards to your collecting experience, are you satisfied with your experiences involving others in this hobby or is there something you wish that you could have changed? Was there a past event that you experienced that you wished you could have changed or is it something you wished to see change in the future?

I'll get back to answering this one for myself. Kinda sleepy right now.

-------------------

If I were asked to hang it all up today, I could. I'm quite happy with my collection right now. When I first started in 2003, I wanted to buy cels of artwork that had not been featured on any trading cards before, and in terms of that, I've accomplished that. The majority of cels that I own are not featured on any trading cards, so I like owning a piece of artwork that, for whatever reason, card producting companies like Bandai and Amada, neglected.

In terms of cels, I think I've gotten what I wanted to get. I own one of two major Sailor Moon wishlists I have and I know where the other is. I'm happy about that. CCS and Inuyasha were anime that I started collecting much later, so although I love what I have from each series, I never set up a mental wishlist for them.

I've largely moved on to original artwork now, and that's a difficult area to quantify. Unlike production shows, where you can screencap your 'wishlist' scene, collectos of original art are dependent on pictures from ended auctions or magazine campaigns. However, this is just a fraction of the artwork that production artists and mangaka have done as the majority is largely unpublicized. There are several artists who artwork I'd still love to own and I'd be sad that I would have no chance at buying them.

My collecting experiences still leave a lot to be desired. I still see a lot of bitterness out there, though it's shifted from cels to original artwork as that's now what I collect, and possibly, because there are fewer cel collectors now than when I started in 2003. I see things going on behind curtains that shouldn't happen or a couple people that feel that throwing anyone they view as 'competition' under a bus is the best way to get ahead of them, and have a collection that their rivals will envy. I can't say that I've ever envied anyone's collection - I've understood that I didn't get into cels until 2003 and original artwork until 2009, which means I've missed out on lots of stuff. I've missed out on late nite cel updates from Anime Taro. There are many cons who had guest lists in the past that I would have loved to have attended. And as much as I would love to have had the opportunity to have experienced them, there's nothing I can do about that now. But I am happy that I've met several people through the course of this hobby that have been incredibly kind and have done so many nice things for me. And for that, I'm quite thankful.
Last edited by cutiebunny on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Are you Happy....?

Post by sensei »

I'd say, overall, I'm satisfied with what's happened in the past, and increasingly reconciled with the fact that, due to the tighter budget of my retirement and the diminishing supply on the market, most of the improvements in my collection will be in its housing and public presentation rather than content.

Maybe my only regret is that I did not diversify sooner: I was obsessively all-CCS all-the-time for the first part of my collecting career, and I think probably I'd have had a more balanced collection if I'd spent more time really getting to know other classic series and collecting from those when I had a chance. No, I no longer have a "give-kidney" wishlist. Rather a settled satisfaction that I was actually able to obtain several cels and sketches that I'd coveted, and a desire to keep them in good condition until they, inevitably, go to their next owners.

I only wish I could have maintained more personal contacts with individual collectors, and been able to meet them in person more often. That, though, is part of a more general malaise related to my retirement rather than anything connected with a particular incident.

But am I sorry in any way that I started collecting? Heck no! It's been, overall, one of the most startlingly enjoyable activities in my last decade. Given my career setbacks and the start of the hearing trouble that has gradually disabled me, I needed something to give me an emotional and intellectual boost, and this filled that need, abundantly. It's still an continuing incentive to get to know the art form and the culture on which it's based.
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

I am happy but I won't be satisfied. I don't really think there's a clear line here. I am happy because I took my collecting where I wanted it to go, mostly Rurouni Kenshin and Shinsengumi but I also wasn't afraid to collect other things that really spoke to me or had a big nostalgia pull (Daimos anyone?). I'm happy because I actually though I'd never get my collection to a higher level than when I was buying "B" graded cels but after getting over the sticker shock I did. The problem is of course I am not yet done so I won't be satisfied, there are at least 5 more cels, 3 of them I know is in existence that I absolutely want in order to say my cel part is done and since there was a new RK animation of course I want something from that. I guess I"m greedy. :sweatdrop But let's say I had to stop because this was the only artwork available now, I would be happy because I know I got some of the better ones. And as for being happy with my collection now, I always am. :iluvu
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I would say that if I never bought another cel or sketch I could live with that just fine even though at this time I am prepaired to continue the pursuit of items to add to our collection. When I look at what we have gotten over the years we are quite happy to found a lot of cels and sketches from scenes that are still very vivid in our memories.

As someone who over the years has gone thru many different phases of collecting of which "artwork" be it Anime related or Comic related as well as more established "traditional" statues, lithographs & paintings I have collected and in several cases (Watches, Books & Baseball cards) decided my collection was complete and went on to other pursuits.

I would hope that no mater what one decides to collect that it should be something that brings enjoyment when viewed as well as the satisfaction in the pursuit of a desired object.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

Generally speaking, I am very satisfied with my collection, even if I were to stop collecting today.

If I could go back in time to change certain things, I would have changed how I approached cel collecting when I first started buying cels 12-44 years ago. Back then, knowing what I know now, I would have been way more selective with I would have bought, and save up my money. But, I am sure we would all like to have done that.

As far as interaction with others, there is nothing I would change, past, present, or future... :-)
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

hrmmmm.... Jeannie...... are you even 44 years old yet?? :hammer
JWR

Post by JWR »

Gonzai wrote:hrmmmm.... Jeannie...... are you even 44 years old yet?? :hammer
One does tend to age fast when chasing around a toddler :bounce
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

Gonzai wrote:hrmmmm.... Jeannie...... are you even 44 years old yet?? :hammer
Well, I did get hit on by a group of teenage boys today . . . . I feel slightly less old now! I'd like to compare myself to gracefully aging wine, thank you very much! :cheers
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

I’m happy … but, I still want a cel from Kawajiri’s “Runing Man” short. :dlook

Except for individual sections, I haven’t really thought of my collection as being complete or incomplete. New shows are made, and I watch, or re-watch, older shows, thinking: ‘That character design is great.’, ‘That action scene had the characters nicely posed.’, ‘Those backgrounds are really beautiful.’, etc. When buying cels and sketches, sometimes I look for specific series, but other times I like to just see what’s currently available. I enjoy seeing and comparing character designs, scene compositions, and the changing and adapting aesthetics within the shows and/or series, always seeking imagery that I feel makes an impact.

If I stopped acquiring right now, with my backlog, I’d still be able to update my gallery for awhile, so I wouldn’t disappear completely. :P

Buying cels started out very positive for me. The first dealers I bought from were The Gremlin, Anime-Cel.com, Mandarake Torrance, and the Van Eaton Galleries; and they were/are all great. I’d like it if Mandarake came back to either Torrance, or Santa Monica.

My initial experiences in talking with fellow cel collectors weren’t so great. I started buying when I was fifteen. The older fans felt I could neither appreciate nor afford to purchase the cels they collected. I was laughed at while looking and asking for cels from the original Vampire Hunter D OVA. And, I felt Carl Macek was the great prophet who had brought hard sci-fi and badass anime to America, while other anime fans thought he was the anti-Christ who’d corrupted the purity of the medium. However, things became nicer after a few years. Though I’ve spent more time lurking around, than actively seeking cel buddies.
jcaliff

Post by jcaliff »

If I suddenly couldn't buy any more, I'd still be happy. I love my collection, and I certainly can't complain that I don't have enough. But that would depend on whether I could force myself to not look at future sales or auctions. If I had to watch and see stuff pass by that would complement what I already have, it would be painful. But then I could still spend hours looking at what I currently have, work on updating my gallery, and try to find screencaps, at least more than I do now. ;)

I guess I could be satisfied. If nothing else I might want was ever sold again.
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
Sui Kune
Kamisama - God

Post by Sui Kune »

I'm still stunned at how quickly and how much variety (in terms of the character) my collection has grown in such a short time, so I would be happy if for some reason I had to stop collecting. However, what I like about cel collecting and what drew me to it was how open-ended it can be in terms of completion - it's only as complete as you want it to be, and I really like that.

I still have wishlist cels I'm striving for, in particular I'm really craving more Hotaru/Saturn cels from the Stars season, so I don't believe I'm done yet. I'm also lovesick over an episode 119 cel of Hotaru with the Saturn sign (see avatar). But I am more than happy with what I have at the same time. Unbelievably grateful, even, I can't even put into words the kindness I've experienced and the great people I've befriended. That's something I absolutely never want to give up, and I also want to do everything I can to repay it.

ToriPagac
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by ToriPagac »

yes though i'll be chasing after a jem forever lol :bounce
toonybabe

Post by toonybabe »

I'm very happy and proud of my cel collection. Within the last 5-6 years I've acquired a lot of amazing pieces that I never imagined I would ever own. If I walked away from cel collecting today I would be happy with what I have...until I came across that next wishlist item, LOL. :D
Sky Rat
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Sky Rat »

Life has hit me like a sledgehammer this past year, so I pretty much have put myself out of the game for at least a long indeterminate amount of time and I don't expect my collection to grow again for at least a couple of years.

I'm fairly happy with my collection as it stands now static (although I still haven't gotten around to uploading to my gallery my last straggler purchases from some months ago). I would have liked to hit one or two more wish list items than I did, but my biggest regret actually isn't in the failure to acquire anything in particular but the fact that I let myself get a little too obsessively crazy in my attempts to acquire stuff. A few years ago I was very hell-bent to win an auction for a sketch set and racked the price pretty far up before I gave up on the auction. I found out later that a good friend had won it and I never quite got over feeling guilty that I cost her so much money over an item I ultimately was just fine living without. Minus that one bit of guilt I feel pretty zen about the 10 years I put into the hobby and what I have to show for it.
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

If you told me today that I had to stop collecting, there would definitely be frustration. For the past year I've been a caretaker for my grandma, and it's an incredibly draining and difficult thing. I'm often too depressed, bitter or tired to think about my hobbies, and my collection has moved very slowly as a result. That, and the lack of funds :0 Every time I find a cool cel I either don't have the money or I feel guilty about the idea of spending it. Then I angst about it for awhile, LOL.

My collection is not where I want it to be. Yes, I have a lot of cels that I adore, but there are so many others hiding out there that I want. I deeply regret that I started collecting cels at a late date (around 2004). Because of that I probably missed out on a lot of awesome stuff, especially for Slayers and Pokemon. If something does pop up,it's usually expensive or the collector doesn't want to part with it, which is understandable. I'll probably be chasing my dream forever X|