Are you Happy....?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Re: Are you Happy....?

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

sugarcels wrote:I deeply regret that I started collecting cels at a late date (around 2004). Because of that I probably missed out on a lot of awesome stuff, especially for Slayers and Pokemon. If something does pop up,it's usually expensive or the collector doesn't want to part with it, which is understandable. I'll probably be chasing my dream forever X|
Haha, try starting in 2011. Don't give up!

Honestly, I feel incredibly happy with my collection. I started out strong because I knew living in Japan would be my best chance to build up a collection as cheaply as possible. And I feel OK with cutting back soon, since I'm heading back to the states. I've added some huge wish list shots recently and while there are a ton of shots I'd like to add, I'm getting better at handling crushing bidding defeats. That alone tells me I'm pretty happy where I'm at XD I'm super grateful to the collectors that have parted with cels and have helped me build up this collection. I wish I could see what the cel market once was, but I'm sure collectors that started in the heyday of collecting have some of the cream of the crop. With all of their offer periods, even newbies like me can get their hands on some awesome stuff <3

And on a funny note, I told myself I was only going to get about ten cels, one each of a favorite character. Well, I failed that miserably. I should have heeded everyone's warnings about the addictive-ness of this hobby. No regrets!
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

KuroiTsubasa4 wrote:
sugarcels wrote:I deeply regret that I started collecting cels at a late date (around 2004). Because of that I probably missed out on a lot of awesome stuff, especially for Slayers and Pokemon. If something does pop up,it's usually expensive or the collector doesn't want to part with it, which is understandable. I'll probably be chasing my dream forever X|
Haha, try starting in 2011. Don't give up!

Honestly, I feel incredibly happy with my collection. I started out strong because I knew living in Japan would be my best chance to build up a collection as cheaply as possible. And I feel OK with cutting back soon, since I'm heading back to the states. I've added some huge wish list shots recently and while there are a ton of shots I'd like to add, I'm getting better at handling crushing bidding defeats. That alone tells me I'm pretty happy where I'm at XD I'm super grateful to the collectors that have parted with cels and have helped me build up this collection. I wish I could see what the cel market once was, but I'm sure collectors that started in the heyday of collecting have some of the cream of the crop. With all of their offer periods, even newbies like me can get their hands on some awesome stuff <3

And on a funny note, I told myself I was only going to get about ten cels, one each of a favorite character. Well, I failed that miserably. I should have heeded everyone's warnings about the addictive-ness of this hobby. No regrets!
I appreciate your optimism :)
Lain
Anime Geek

Post by Lain »

sensei wrote:I'd say, overall, I'm satisfied with what's happened in the past, and increasingly reconciled with the fact that, due to the tighter budget of my retirement and the diminishing supply on the market, most of the improvements in my collection will be in its housing and public presentation rather than content.

Maybe my only regret is that I did not diversify sooner: I was obsessively all-CCS all-the-time for the first part of my collecting career, and I think probably I'd have had a more balanced collection if I'd spent more time really getting to know other classic series and collecting from those when I had a chance. No, I no longer have a "give-kidney" wishlist. Rather a settled satisfaction that I was actually able to obtain several cels and sketches that I'd coveted, and a desire to keep them in good condition until they, inevitably, go to their next owners.

I only wish I could have maintained more personal contacts with individual collectors, and been able to meet them in person more often. That, though, is part of a more general malaise related to my retirement rather than anything connected with a particular incident.

But am I sorry in any way that I started collecting? Heck no! It's been, overall, one of the most startlingly enjoyable activities in my last decade. Given my career setbacks and the start of the hearing trouble that has gradually disabled me, I needed something to give me an emotional and intellectual boost, and this filled that need, abundantly. It's still an continuing incentive to get to know the art form and the culture on which it's based.
I am sorry for quoting your whole comment Sensei- It's just i am really so happy to have friends here to chat with and read your expert opinions and expert advice as you know i new Collector and just starting early last year with Evangelion which i love to the max!!!!
Well i will try to explain my young collection :')
Since finding SEL and lain i am so extremely lucky to have purchase same lovely SEL cels it just really makes me feel so happy inside knowing i have a real piece of Anime history!!! if you know what i mean.
Well the last few months things in my life have turned a little sideways for me..
and i have not been watching any Anime's but i hope by Christmas thing will get better as i have bought lots and lots of Anime's dvds i haven't even watched yet. LOL
I really jumped into Anime last year, but it's been the bestist thing for me!
Anime really lifts me up, but i can only watch Anime's when on holidays! (i'm so dumb) LOL
But on the Holy grail SEL cels i think i am looking for it will be a long term thing of LUVV!!!! as i know they are out there in same massive anime collection!

*As i haven't been around here on anime-Beta over the last few months
i miss all the members here!
*eyes well without knowing why*
My Serial Experiments Lain Page.
I am slowly getting around to adding my lain merchandise to my flickr page and lain cel's (^.^) i own 1
And say hi to my mod happy eggy bunny :)
http://animelife.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://www.flickr.com/photos/serial_experiments_lain/ Image