Trading a wishlist for a wishlist - would you do it??

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Trading a wishlist for a wishlist - would you do it??

Post by Gonzai »

If you had a wishlist in your gallery, and someone asked you to trade straight up for another wishlist
you had, would you do it?? If you would, what factors would make you do it? I have the chance to do this,
and I am just not sure how I feel. I have been trying to talk the person out of this particular piece of
artwork for 7 years now. She has always said no, cause she really liked it. I have wanted the set that I
have for just as long, and was finally able to acquire it. The big thing here that makes me consider doing
it is that I know it is one of her biggest wishlists. I always want to help out fellow collectors, but it is still
not an easy decision. Argh - what to do - what to do?? :hurt:
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Re: Trading a wishlist for a wishlist - would you do it??

Post by kizu »

Well both pieces can't possibly equal. You just need to do a little soul searching, if you really like it more or you like what you have more. I think helping each other get a wishlist is good but that should be more of a secondary factor, an extra positive so to speak. Some people grow to love what they have more, while some would like something new better even if it is a wishlist. Ask yourself those questions. Would I do it? It depends, are we talking about two saitou cels? Do I have a sequence mate? Is it from important scenes (which is more important)? Condition? Rarity? How do I feel about it's place in my gallery (how it adds or detracts)? Those are the things that would determine if I'm to trade or not. If the trade would make my collection as a whole more valuable/more complete/more rounder. Yeah sure I will trade.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

That's a very individual decision.

Personally, I would not do it. The only exception I can think of would be if the wishlist cel am looking at is unique while the one I am giving up is part of a sequence (so I may have another opportunity in the future). If they are both equally unique, I would rather keep what I have. Things can get damaged in transit. Why risk what I am already happy with for what may or may not end up being any better. Despite appearances, the grass is not always greener on the other side.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Well, I have seen the one I would be trading for in person. It is absolutely stunning.
The set I have is probaby one of the most defining moments of the series from the
character I collect point of view.

In this case, it would be trading a epic scene for a real beauty. The set she is
trading is a hanken from the first ending credits. Its oversized, and it shows
the true character to a tee.

The set I would be trading is the first time this particular character shows up in
the series. As far as beauty goes, the one I would be trading for is much more
beautiful.

So, it comes down to beauty vs. a defining scene. Argh - what to do!! >_<
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Wow, this is a super hard dilemma! I'm not sure what I would do in this instance. This isn't quite the same thing, but a couple of times in the past, I have traded dearly-loved pieces (ones that were among my favorites for a series or character) for things that were wish list items. In the end, I was lucky enough to buy back the stuff I had traded, although I suppose the fact that I bought them back shows I shouldn't have traded them, in the first place. :emb

It sounds really hard to compare the two pieces objectively. Defining scene vs. true beauty is difficult, as both are equally rare and special -- but for different reasons.

Art is very emotional. Our connections to particular shows and characters are very emotional, too. They come from the gut and the heart. So my advice (similar to what has already been said) is that you should think about your emotional attachment to each piece. For the one you have (defining scene) , when you think about it no longer being in your collection ... how does that make you feel? Do you feel that twisting anxiety in the pit of your stomach that tells you you won't be able to let go of it, no matter the price or offer? I've been surprised, in the past, to feel this with pieces I wouldn't have expected to. For the piece you may trade for (real beauty), how do you feel about it being in your collection? Do you feel it was "meant to be"? Do you feel you would treasure it as much or more than what you already have?

Either way you go, it sounds like you won't make a mistake. Because, either way, you will have a wonderfully special and lovely piece of art in your possession. I say trust yourself, take a deep breath, and choose from the heart. :D

(I know ... this was probably no help at all. X| :kiss )
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I say trust yourself, take a deep breath, and choose from the heart.
Those are very meaningful words to me right now, though, having nothing to do with artwork!!

Thanks - I needed to hear that! :friends:
tex-chan
Bish Mistress

Post by tex-chan »

Hugging you via the inter webs, my dear friend! :friends:
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

Make that double hugs...

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I ask myself 2 questions:

1). Which wishlist is higher on my list
2). Which wishlist is easier to replace at a later time? <-- Probably the more important of the two

For example, I had 2 really huge wishlists I had to choose from. One was an excellent price, and the other was very high. The one with excellent price, I have found 4 sister mates to, and I know that I can eventually find one of them again at a later date. So, I ended up with the other wishlist that i knew I would miss the opportunity possibly forever if I had not gone for that one.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

In addition to how much I wanted the item and if there was a small possibility I could either find a sequence mate or buy/trade it back at a later date, I would also take into consideration how trustworthy that collector was. The last thing I would want to do is send off something I really love only to not get the traded item in return. I would have to really trust that person, or maybe conduct the trade in person.