Avoiding reproductions

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Avoiding reproductions

Post by jcaliff »

I sometimes think about bidding on series that I don't normally bid on, but I worry about running into legit (or non-legit) reproductions. Obviously for recent series you can figure that pretty much any cel is a reproduction (or releizu). But for some of the older series that have a ton of reproductions out there I worry. Yuu Yuu Hakusho for example - there are so many repro cels, and not only the A-list scenes, that it makes me gun shy on buying any cel that doesn't look like crap. There are books of "cels" that were sold for Yamato and some other shows, and sometimes they show up on YJ having been cut apart. And there are all those Macross reproductions out there. Even the original Hunter x Hunter TV series, which I do collect, had a run of reproduction cels that were prizes for people who collected the DVDs and while i know what some of them look like I'm not sure I would recognize them all.

With Detective Conan, which I collect, I refuse to buy any cel of Shinichi or Kaito Kid because there were so many doujin cels out there on YJ for years, and now I don't know if they would necessarily be labeled that way when being sold any more. I pretty much figure if it cost less than 2man it's probably fake, but even back then some of those doujin cels were selling for nearly that much, and I doubt resellers want to lose money.

Is anyone else scared off certain purchases due to the prevalence of reproductions?
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.