$11k card--can someone please translate?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
hgeek23
Juuyaku - Executive

$11k card--can someone please translate?

Post by hgeek23 »

i am posting this in this section because i wonder if the card i saw is related to it being some kind of hanken item or some other original production kind of item. i also dont know of a more appropriate section.
yesterday i was at nakano broadway in a card shop. i saw on the wall what looked like cards for exhorbitant prices, ranging from a few hundred dollars to 11k. there were explanations in japanese above them and im wondering if anyone had the know-how to understand what these are?
thanks!
ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Follow my olympics journey! http://www.IsraelSkeleton.com http://www.fb.com/IsraelSkeletonAJ
Israel's National Skeleton Athlete, the HebrewHammer.
Avid otaku.
http://www.9000.rubberslug.com
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Re: $11k card--can someone please translate?

Post by Killua »

These are yugioh cards, looking up more right now. Those prices are insane. 8O
Killua

Post by Killua »

Yeah I can't figure out which one the 12k one is, but the most expensive known Yugioh card was sold for 24k. Some of the prices are really insane.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I think some of the most expensive cards listed here might be from the prize cards awarded from world championship, which was only given out to the few top spots. I think years ago it used to be first place gets a set of 3, second and third each get one. but on that 1200000yen card I think it saids there were 4 made, so not sure how that worked. In states, most expensive cards available nowadays are usually YCS regional championship price cards that the first 3 place at a regional event(not to be confused with nearly prize less local regional event)gets, and they usually range around a few hundred to one to two thousand dollars, depending on how useful that card is in a game at the time, since price also changes dramatically with each banlist and repaint announced. There isn't that many "true" collectors in NA. The price of none prize normal circulated cards nowadays are generally determined by how useful/popular the card is.

The other things is, those cards you posted are quite old. so old that they are printed in original format where atk/def are side by side to their effects if they had any, which was a style used until early 2000's before the game got more complicated. I think they are probably from some of the first events ever hosted.

One last thing is that if there are only a few of them out there, that price is somewhat determined by the seller. so It does not necessarily reflect what the collectors might be willing to pay. maybe one or two person at some point in time paid around that amount, but the rest of the collectors who are interested in those cards might not even be willing to pay a fraction of it. Its possible that the seller put those cards and prices there for advertising, bragging purpose.
hgeek23
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by hgeek23 »

they also had the 3 "duelist kingdom" cards shown for $370. as they can't be played and have no text i was wondering what they were possibly printed for. (by the way, that card next to them is $2700?!)

anyways, i will ask someone in my office here (interning for the summer) if they can translate it--thought that someone on this forum might know how a card could possibly be worth 11k. thanks for the responses.

killua, you De*** from cel-depot? i'm the kid who runs into you at animeBoston and asks for death note stuff, lol.
Follow my olympics journey! http://www.IsraelSkeleton.com http://www.fb.com/IsraelSkeletonAJ
Israel's National Skeleton Athlete, the HebrewHammer.
Avid otaku.
http://www.9000.rubberslug.com
Killua

Post by Killua »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:One last thing is that if there are only a few of them out there, that price is somewhat determined by the seller. so It does not necessarily reflect what the collectors might be willing to pay. maybe one or two person at some point in time paid around that amount, but the rest of the collectors who are interested in those cards might not even be willing to pay a fraction of it. Its possible that the seller put those cards and prices there for advertising, bragging purpose.
Sometimes sellers will list certain items at exorbitant prices so that the lesser priced (but still very profitable) cards look more attractive.
hgeek23 wrote:killua, you De*** from cel-depot? i'm the kid who runs into you at animeBoston and asks for death note stuff, lol.
Yeah, I'm Derek (don't worry, no need to censor) from Cel Depot. I remember you. Awesome that you're in Tokyo for the summer. :cheers
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

hgeek23 wrote:they also had the 3 "duelist kingdom" cards shown for $370.
Yup, their appreciation for "rarity" is way over the top. Can often find a set on ebay for around $50.
Killua wrote:Sometimes sellers will list certain items at exorbitant prices so that the lesser priced (but still very profitable) cards look more attractive.
That could be if they are monopolizing their field but when it comes to cards, the lesser priced rare ones mostly have hundreds or even thousands of copies out there. Most collectors tend to shop around, especially true for a trading card games. And veteran collectors certainly should know sources that would sell them for much cheaper, as do the store themselves because everybody in the hobby tends to be a potential seller. If the store would make that effort though, I think it'd work on newbies as well as people that don't care about prices. I'd imagine them to be kinda rare though.