Splitting sets?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
RePete
Anime Geek

Splitting sets?

Post by RePete »

I have recently bought a fare few sets and noticed that in some of the sets I have bought there would be a sketch missing from the set. That is say there is a sequence of 5 sketches; C1,C2,C3,C4,C5 and I buy and receive my item, only with C1,C3,C4,C5. Now this doesn't effect the integrity of the set in the fashion that there is very little difference between C1-C2-C3 but it does beg the question, do you mind if sets and missing sketches when you buy them?

I ask this because I personally buy an item because I want just the one nice sketch most the time. If I buy a set, ignoring the numbers on the sketches, I am happy as long as I DONT notice there is a sketch missing. What are your thoughts on this subject?
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Splitting sets?

Post by sensei »

Sometimes sketch sets will show up on the market after they were passed to one of the outfits that make rilezu, or post-production reproduction cels. They will often be made directly from one of the dougas from the original sketch set, and this sketch will be sold with the rilezu to demonstrate its authenticity and one-of-a-kind status.

Then, some time later, the rilezu outfit may let the rest of the sketches go up for auction, usually for much less than the repro cel was sold for. I'm always happy to see these remains show up, because they often come with the gengas and roughs that are more interesting to my collecting sense. But, yeah, you normally find that there's one douga missing, and that's the one that went with the rilezu.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Splitting sets?

Post by Gonzai »

I also have heard of dealers pulling out layers, such as a mouth or eye layer.
They will do this to reduce the weight when shipping. I have also heard of
dealers destroying sets that they don't think anyone would be interested in,
i.e. side characters. This can be really painful to hear about, since some of
the side characters are the best ones. :hurt: