Fan Cels...good thing, or bad thing?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Fan Cels and Repros...good thing, or bad?

Good! Give me more of em..I want to use them as wallpaper!
22%
Bad! Burn them, burn them all!
22%
I don't care...I live in a van down by the river!
57%

Total votes: 23

Tabbykitty
Senpai - Elder

Fan Cels...good thing, or bad thing?

Post by Tabbykitty »

Ok, decided to post this topic, in light of the incredible multitude of fan reproduction cels posted on ebay at the present time...perhaps like me, you were doing the normal twice a day (or more for some of you peoples ;) search of ebay, and saw all the cels hyperenity listed. Now this brought to my mind...how do you all feel about these fan reproductions?

For me, yes they are nice...and they give people the chance to buy cels they wouldn't normally be able to afford. But some of these are so good, I literally can't tell them from the real thing. I am just afraid that the explosion of fan cels may in the future lead to mislement of other collectors...the selling of the fake for the price of the real.

So I want to know what you all think, especially those like DBC whose cels (in fan form) seem to show up on ebay every other week ;)
You fight quite well for being such a ... little man-Android 18
http://tabbykitty101.rubberslug.com/
:cat
gogeta00
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by gogeta00 »

I think its alright, I guess...it gives people a chance to express thier artistic ability. Its also good for people, as you stated, that dont have enough to afford the insane prices some cels go for. However, the only thing I dont like about them, is that people are creating fancels from cels in other people's collections strictly for profit. Now I know we dont own the image and all that crap thats been rehashed a million times over, but theres something thats irritating about seeing your cel used for the sole purpose of profit. Hyperenity does this 99% of the time. Only very rarely do they use a screencap it seems. I dunno, its just me I guess, but Id be irked if I saw my cel reproduced over and over 'til the image grows old. :|
Majin Gohan
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Majin Gohan »

I personally think that Hyperenity's fan cels are garbage, well compared to DBC, hers look real and I would have had her done my ultimate wishlist cel if I had had the money, 14inch pan cel....awesome, I may ask her in the near future. I cannot tell if her fan cels are the real thing or not. DBC: You should write "Fan" in the corner where the sequence number normally is, that way no one can rip off your incredible awesome look a likes, LOL.
Just a thought....ohh, the actual point of the post.....I think fan cels are fine, as long as they are not used incorrectly....they would make a nice bathroom wall paper, very personal! What an idea, have whole sequences of all the major fights in order across the wall!!!!!!!!!
Steve
*slightly excited, one day till 17!*
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

The idea of a fan cel is okay with me. But some of the practices that come off of that is sad. I too find it annoying when people replicate someone's cels so many times over, it makes the actual owner of the cel feel "less special." It's even more sad when sellers sell the cel claiming it's authentic.

I agree with Majin Gohan, artists should write "fan" or something on the cel so others can't use it to sell deceptively, and so buyers know they're buying a repro.

I pity newbies who don't know better and get ripped off by naughty people.
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Nightwind
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nightwind »

I have to say I agree on a few things. A fan cel would allow you to get an image that you could not afford or that you can not find. Some of the fan cels that are out there are very had to tell from the real thing, of course meaning that you could be buying a fake and never know it...

When I got up this morning and looked at ebay I can honestly say I was intested by this auction....

It is very close to a cel I have in my gallery. Which is this one:

Below is the auction cel:

My first thought was that it looked sorda like mine... I was not happy when I saw it, plus I had not had my coffee yet. :evil:

The second thing was wow are those colors off, big time. I think if you are going to make a fan cel then at least try and match the colors. I dont know, maybe it is the scanner they used. :? Plus the expression is off.

I am of the mind set that they did not use my image but it is close enough to make me think that they may in the future. I dont know if it really bothers me that much to be honest.... In one aspect I dont like it but in the other aspect I own the real cel.
"I will rule you all with an Iron Fist! You! Obey the fist!" - Zim
Cel Freak
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Cel Freak »

Personaly I really don't care for them but in a way this artist get to show of there skills, which most of them do. I know Hypercitys cel are all signed on the back by the artist and made with different ink then real cels are made from. They also shouldn't be able to create a cel from the original copy.

"This is not an act of mercy. This is to teach you the pain of living."-Legato Bluesummers
Golden Dragon
Senpai - Elder

Post by Golden Dragon »

I think it is great for people to express themselves, and I have made a few fan cels myself. I picked scenes from a DVD or VHS and them I made the cel. I just don't think it is right to make a fan cel of someone elses cel. Also, I would create requested cels. Like the cels I did for someone of Krillin in the white suite. I just think that there are too many showing up at one time. If you make one or two and sell them then people request others from you is one thing but to have a whole bunch is another. I am glad that people who can't buy the real ones get a chance to have one that looks great, but I just feel it is too much at one time.
Kat

Thanks S17 for the great banner!!!!

I will smite you with my Blade of Honor! - Guan Yu
Syxxth Munky
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Syxxth Munky »

Well it can be a good idea because if there was a really good cel you liked and you couldn't afford it, it is ideal to get an fanart. However also can be bad because the actual owners of the REAL cel may get upset because he/she will see their cels being replicated over and over again. In conclusion i don't actually care! I have 2 fanarts myself aswell lol
*Coming soon... It all starts... again!*
Celsavior

Post by Celsavior »

I think its okay except when some bastards try to pass them off as real. GRRR...that pisses me off. There are two things I hate most in the world and thats one of them. The other being roaches, but its not that im afraid of them but there nasty, toxin sprayin' friggin,garbage diggers. :redhot
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

I actually have a couple of fan cels (3 to be exact).

For Hyperenity, I have this to say.... They ran an auction, which I bid on and won. It was for an original fan cel by Cody (or is it Coby?), which was perfect - I don't care a whole lot for the other chick who works with her... no offense to her, but she's obvious green at this and her style has not been perfected yet. :P Anyway... so I tell them exactly what I want done, it's a scene thats NOT from the show so it's basically my own idea translated into cel format. I get the cel, and am thrilled with it.

You're probably wondering what my beef with them is about now, right? Well.... I went to their site to check out their new creations and what do I see? They've turned MY cel I won from them into a limited edition. -_-; So now they're going to be selling 49 freaking more copies of MY original idea. :bawl I guess I should have realized this would happen - they own the rights to the image and all that happy horseshit, but still. :( I'm just not a happy person to see my idea of Mitarai embracing Shizuru sold to 49 more people. Or more - hell, they could do a run of 10,000 if there was enough interest. :evil:

I guess I was just severely disappointed in that experience. For my money, I'll be going to Requim from the Animanga cels forum from now on. I do have more fancels I want made, but they're mostly for my own ideas and not actual moments on screen.

BUT ... I do feel it's wrong to take someone elses cel and make repros of it. It does, in my mind, diminish the originality of the production cel - and for people like Requim and Hyperenity - in the wrong hands it could be sold as the real thing very easily :| I know they sign it, but with a little work the signature can be cleaned off. *sigh*

My two cents. :P

Sheri

Some fav YouTube fan music videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98qEvSXe5wc - Heroes - Sylar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

World of Warcraft Battletag: Wolfette#1822
anotherceljunkie
Kamisama - God

Post by anotherceljunkie »

mmmmmm, i'm just sick of all the damn hyperenity crap showing up in my ebay searches :p they need to title that shit as "fancel" not "cel" :p they're messing up my ebay search pleasure :wink:

where's an emoticon for this :p that's what i need!!! ~_~

-- emily
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life
Location: Fawning at Bakura's feet *worship* AnimeBeta's resident rabid Shota fangirl :)

Post by Wolfette »

:tongue Would that one do? ;) its : followed by tongue if so. :P

I actually think Hyperenity is a very good artist (well, Cody/Coby anyway) but you're right - I wish people who list fan cels would do it as fancel or something... there's at least 2 of them listed on the YYH cel search ATM. :tongue

Sheri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDCP5t3y3E Prison Break - Mahone and T-Bag (William Fichtner and Robert Knepper)

anotherceljunkie
Kamisama - God

Post by anotherceljunkie »

lol, listen up everyone, the above post PROVES sheri is done with dbz ;)

notice how she didn't mention, or maybe didn't even *search*, to see the *10* blasted hyperenity dbz pieces of junk listed on ebay right now!! 8O :D

sheri oh sheri, your passion for dbz cels really is over, isn't it? :wink: :wink: :wink: :D

-- e.
Wolfette
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wolfette »

lmao, Emily... I've been telling you for months now that I don't even look at eBay for DBZ cels. ;) The only time I look at a DBZ auction on eBay is if a link is posted here - and then it's mostly out of curiosity. :lol:

So, to answer the question - yep, I'm *done* with DBZ cel collecting. :) (Keep your cheers down to a dull roar, Poop *giggles*)

Sheri

dbzmomma
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by dbzmomma »

I'm trying my hand at a couple fan cels right now, and I take my images from trading cards. I wouldn't dream of using someone's actual cel (unless it's mine), but if my card matches your cel, well....

Right now they're strictly for my own pleasure. I don't think they'd ever be sellable, but I might frame one of my own if I ever do one that good!
:lol:
Vicci

Grand Reopening of Momma's Addiction Rubberslug Gallery!