2013 Year in Review & 2014 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
RePete
Anime Geek

Re: 2013 Year in Review & 2014 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Post by RePete »

1. What was the best thing that's happened to your gallery/collection in 2013?
Actually beginning. I started collecting in early June 2013 after deciding to buy one or two pieces just to suss out animation art collecting. In the past I had seen some nice Fullmetal Panic genga on ebay and was tempted, a year or two later there was a booth at a local anime convention called Avcon that was selling some nice cels. I guess you could say these temptations eventually led to me starting collecting earlier this year when I finally had money to spend.

2. What was the most surprising thing that happened to your gallery/collection this year?
Gathering a few really nice pieces. Mainly from Wolf's Rain, Fullmetal Alchemist and Hellsing. Managed to get some pieces from The Secret of Mana which was a dream come true as well.

3. Which piece were you most proud of acquiring in 2013?
WOLFS RAIN! These genga are stunning. Take a look: http://repete.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=369834

Secondly would be this Hellsing douga of Rip Van Winkle: http://repete.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=368486 . It is stunning. The emotion, colours, artistic style this image conveys just sends chills down my spine. I plan to have it framed on the wall eventually.

4. What's something that concerns you about your collecting experience?
Money. It is an expensive hobby. The thing that is killing it for me at the moment is the weak aussie dollar. With the horribly expensive service fees, shipping fees and paypal fee's added on to this things only get worse.

Market wise is the fact that a lot of the series I want to collect really don't have any pieces on the market. Expanding on that it is almost as if some series genga/douga/sketches never get released. What happens to these? Will they come out in time or do they get destroyed or something?

5. What cel/sketch-related resolution do you want to make for 2014?
-To collect morecolourful genga over douga. Seem to have a lot of douga's but am starting to lean towards the beauty of genga's colours.
-Quality over quantity. Maybe not buy so many small, cheap pieces but instead buy one or two really nice pieces.
-Get pieces from series on my wishlist.
-Clean up my gallery, get a good custom made banner and give it a nice layout. All my uploads are kinda just on there without a lot of thought put into ordering, descriptions and such.
-Re-do bad scans and make animated gif's of sets
-Get my sketches more organised at home with cel-books and get some pieces framed
-Get more active in this community :) I will have more time this year by the looks

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution in 2012, how true did you stay to it?
N/A