layouts erased and paper reused

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

layouts erased and paper reused

Post by ginga123 »

Common practice? I've noticed on a few layouts, purchased several months ago, today upon inspection of goods from SMJ package. There is essentially the drawing of a character, then a "phantom" drawing of another character from the same show that clearly was erased but you can still see the character.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
Yuuki
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: layouts erased and paper reused

Post by Yuuki »

ginga123 wrote:Common practice? I've noticed on a few layouts, purchased several months ago, today upon inspection of goods from SMJ package. There is essentially the drawing of a character, then a "phantom" drawing of another character from the same show that clearly was erased but you can still see the character.
I'm not sure if it's 'common' exactly, but it's very possible someone would do that. I've re-used animation paper plenty of times when I can't find blank sheets - just grab some old/discarded work, erase it, and re-use the paper :)
http://toppegged.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp - Tracy's Cel Collection
http://teaelleharris.tumblr.com/ ~ TeaElle Art and Animation
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

thanks that makes sense. :) it's only on a couple of sheets.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I also got a set of "foul papers" (presumably first drafts of layouts and practice sketches) from a recent CGI show, one of which had an interesting sketch of a character from a completely different series on the back.

I've also gotten "foul papers" that were done on the backs of layout paper from a different studio. Possibly when studios change their logos or contact information, the now-outdated paper gets sold at bulk to other studios for use as scrap paper? Anyhow, it's an interesting detail that shows that your art comes from a creative "moment of creation" rather than the clean-up process that takes over once a design is approved.
Serendipity_Collections
Shinigami - Moderator
Shinigami - Moderator

Post by Serendipity_Collections »

off the top of my head I know I have some of those from Black Blood Brothers. They have either tested out a rough of one of the characters with another test rough on either the back or the front.. all these were on yellow paper if memory serves me correctly and I personally like to think they were testing the design for the characters / revising them. ^_^