Which is more important: artistic beauty or dramatic moment?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.

Which is more important to you when choosing to buy a cel or sketch?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Its impact on you as a beautiful artistic image
45%
Its specific context as part of an dramatic moment in the plot
10%
Both are equally important
45%
Neither is an important factor for me
No votes

Total votes: 20

sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Which is more important: artistic beauty or dramatic moment?

Post by sensei »

In browsing some early threads in the archive, I came across one that dealt with this issue, along with my comment (written in 2005: ah, I was so much older then...)
While I wouldn't buy a genuinely ugly cel from a memorable moment, I still consider anime as being a form of storytelling rather than as a sequence of artistic images. So I would consider it a nearly fatal defect if I knew absolutely nothing about the story.
That bemused me, because a number of times since then I've been pulled over short on a trawl through YHJ or Mandarake by an image that I found haunting or stunning in some way, so much so that I had to stop and find out what series it came from. And actually quite a few times I've plunked down pretty serious money to get "that" cel or sketch, even before I even knew what the name of the character was or what the plot was even about.

So I've found myself drifting from my "dramatic moment" preference farther and farther toward "artistic beauty" as my collecting habits have changed with time. What do the rest of you think? And can you cite a particular item in your collection that illustrates your preference?

I'll contribute this dramatic cel from the 1988 Madhouse OVA Yōsei-ō or "The Fairy King,", which I have never seen (and probably never will) and know only bits and pieces about. But when I saw it on Mandarake ... Whoah!
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Which is more important: artistic beauty or dramatic mom

Post by JWR »

I put down that to me both are important

If it is a show that the story has drawn us in to the point where you find yourself caring for the characters then even though the image may not be spectacular compared to others, knowing exactly what is going on in the scene and knowing how important it is to the overall story makes it a treasured image.
This one from Ai Yori Aoshi fits that as an example http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=125199

Others are such beautiful images that they can take your breath away every time you view it like this one that is currently framed and resting upon one of our walls.
http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=234174
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

As far as my top series go, my main interest is story/plot/character driven. Pivotal moments in a series is huge for me as a collector. Of course, art is always important, too, but I think I tend to go for those "this is the first time they meet!" or "this is the *only* time you see this item" sort of shots the best. Besides that, I also have "favorite scenes" in which I will go absolute ape crazy if I spot anything for sale... and even more crazy if I spot someone who has a piece from this scene in their gallery. *instant self-implosion* I'm really sorry to those people out there who have on occasion received pleading E-mails from me, begging you to let these pieces go. I can't help it. orz
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I voted for artistic beauty, though (as most people know) I definitely classify myself as a diehard scene collector. The reason I put my vote in the artistic beauty category is because I *will* pass up cels/sketches from scenes I utterly adore and desperately love when I consider the pieces of that scene that are available to be "not collectable". No matter how much I love a scene, deciding if I want it at all depends much more on how it's animated and what is available from it.

(Why?)
What makes something "not collectable" in my eyes? (1) Scenes where there is no one frame that captures the complete meaning of the scene. For example, maybe the camera switches back and forth too much, or things are pictured from a completely bizarre angle that is unattractive. (2) Cel setups that are missing too many layers to depict what is really happening when you look at them standing alone. For example, the layers of two characters, but not the layer of the third they're talking to, etc. (3) Scenes from CG anime that are animated in a way that breaks up the image. For example, a set of CharacterA kissing CharacterB..... but CharacterA and CharacterB were animated on separate sheets, never to meet other than in Photoshop.

The third example is the biggest problem, IMO. I have reunited cel layers to complete setups, I've reunited backgrounds with cels... but if the important elements of the image are on separate pages, there's nothing to be done about that. Kinda wrecks it. (*shrug*) It's the big reason I almost NEVER buy douga (though douga also often have characters with missing mouths, which drives me nutty) and it's the reason that sometimes I will put much higher value on a well-drawn layout of a given scene over the genga of the same when I usually HEAVILY prefer genga.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I chose both, and the reason for this is not because I could not decide. If you look at my collection there are a lot of scene driven moments... Particularly in the CCS wings and the SM wings. Where I have it down to the episode where and when cels are and am usually able to pick up pieces pretty cheaply because I recognize where they are from right off. There have been a few pieces I picked up on aesthetics only without knowing the eppy #...

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=374691 I honestly had no idea the scene but his eyes to me really stood out here amazingly gorgeous! However, I now can identify CCS pretty quickly if it is an episode I have not seen a lot of sometimes it takes a few hours ^_^;;

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/m ... esID=34611 For scene driven things you can head to my CCS Episode galleries directly, I've spent a lot of time obsessing over these episodes and trying to get layers back together and put each scene in context. I in fact think that this wing Episode 66 is Sensei's favorite section of my gallery?

On the other hand when it comes to the DBZ, Gundam Wing, and Tenshi ni Narumon it is down to the beauty or humor of the piece without knowing anything about where it is from I have watched both these series only once all the way through, and have watched some favorites more than once, but the most part I have no idea where a piece is from I have to ask for help from my friends and at times the forums. Yes sometimes later when I buy from those series I find out LOL that is a great funny scene or wow that is super important to the series. But generally when I go for a new Goku cel it is more about the aesthetics, in fact most of my unidentified cels are from DBZ!

So long story short!
Both!
Jadeduo
:jump
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

I think the look and composition of the image on the cel is the most important factor when purchasing a cel and/or sketch. The image doesn’t have to be beautiful, but it should have some kind of visual impact.

Here are some random items in my gallery, from shows of varying popularity bought at a wide variety of prices.

I can recognize cels as being images of moments from stories, or depictions of stories, when I watch the corresponding shows. In some cases, I could see how an entire story might be able to be depicted in microcosm by a single image. However, in most cases, in both collections and as individual items, cels and sketches don’t, indeed can’t, carry the same feeling they did when originally filmed. Movies and TV shows tell their stories, showing scenes with others in a specific order. If I am only viewing one image from that show, it can’t have the context that was given to it by the scenes which preceded and those that followed it. When cels and sketches are scanned, and the images uploaded to galleries, they even gain a new context by being juxtaposed with different scenes and/or shows.

Occasionally, I have bought cels I felt I could use in conjunction with other cels to intimate a moment or aspect of a show, and I usually try to include a synopsis or idea of what the show is about in my section descriptions. However, I don’t believe a cel's image innately carries with it the context of its original use. So, I usually buy based on aesthetics.
eyes0nme19
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by eyes0nme19 »

I just buy whatever scene has my favorite character in it :P if it happens to be in a memorable dramatic moment, kudos! If not, I still love it. I guess I should've put down both artistic and dramatic moment. Because if I had a choice between a pretty one or a not as appealing one of my fav character, I would choose the one that is more aesthetic and colorful. However, sometimes there are just scenes that really grab me (like really funny ones) and that ends up trumping artistic beauty X|
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Challenging topic. I've been lurking on this thread for a few days, unsure of how to answer. While I feel that both are important, and that all galleries should ideally have a healthy sampling of both beautiful and dramatic cels, I would say that my preference leans more toward the dramatic moment. For me, there's nothing more satisfying than obtaining a cel from one of your favorite episodes, or a cel that perfectly sums up the character, theme, or even the entire series. Of course, these are rare and harder to collect. Cels that are plainly beautiful are more plentiful. As a new collector, I haven't been around long enough to snag any wishlist moments. But this cel of EVA Unit-1, while not action-oriented, conveys a strong, silent sort of drama, encapsulating the power and majesty of the EVA Humanoids.

http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=371735

But the beauty-factor is undeniably important as well. I've been tempted to buy beautiful cels from shows that I've never seen (I knew I wanted a Gunnm cel before I ever saw the OVA). The aesthetic quality of the artwork is what first ignites the attraction. A beautiful cel can make you appreciate how much time, effort and talent went into the production. This cel of Meier Link and Charlotte is absolutely stunning. VHDB is unmatched in terms of beautiful artwork IMO.

http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=373085
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I voted for both equally important because they are both vital criteria in deciding weather I'd like to bid on any single image(aside from character itself), assuming I am able to consider both. In reality, its hard to find something with both, so often times I'd have to make judgement call based on one or the other. Its also true that there tends to be many beautiful images from almost every anime, and there are only so many critical scenes that I know and would care about. Lastly, I'd go for many impactful images after finding out just a little bit about it. For important scene however, the image needs to be at least decent quality.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Interesting discussion: thanks to all who participated. I thought I would check to see how my current habits match up.

In the batch lined up to come from Rinkya, I see:

Five sketch sets from Asatte no Houkou. That's a series that I love both in terms of plot (interesting premise, very clever plotting, especially toward the end) and in terms of artistic quality. The two chief animation directors were Ikuko Itou (Princess Tutu) and Shinya Hasegawa (Revolutionary Girl Utena), and so I'm always interested in art from this series. All of these sketch sets are from scenes from which I've previously obtained art, and three I'd have to say interest me mainly because of that. The other two are more attractive as art, though again I'd say that they are doubly attractive as they come from key, memorable moments. (One I'd been watching for, having a couple of close cut-mates already.)

Four items from the Nakamura film A Tree of Palme, which also interests me as an effort to rival Miyazaki's classics by an ambitious and talented animator. I don't think it is altogether successful, but the art is often so over-the-top that I enjoy getting it. There are two backgrounds (one, a bleak landscape, is a little over 2 ft. wide, according to the seller's description) and two sketch sets (no cels, sadly). One is a very pretty profile of the little girl Popo, and the other is a tight-cropped facial close-up (also Popo) that is not in itself very pretty, except that it comes from a critical turning point in the plot.

Two items from Rozen Maiden, first series, both from Ep. 11, one Shinku, the other Suigintou, both from a particular tense moment. So dramatic context is important, but also that I could see that they came with roughs by this episode's AD, Kimiko Tamai, whose work for some reason I really really like. I'm surprised that this artist has not gotten more visibility (she also did a lot of work on The Story of Saiunkoku, which I hear is under-rated but visually extremely good).

A lot of three storyboards from Yamibou, which I've only watched fitfully as I am not at all taken by the plot, though the art is often really good. The headliner in this set shows the warrior girl Hazuki in full battle cry, which I found a knockout. It helped that I already had art from a cut just before this one.

A cel (so far the only one this time) from Maeterlinck's Blue Bird, a 1980 series from the makers of the Space Cruiser Yamato series that I find very engaging (I've watched part of it in raw Japanese). I have enough headshots of the principals that I'm now lurking for rare characters and action moments, and this cel fit the latter category.

A sketch set from the CGI portion of Inuyasha, which I have not watched all the way through but find rewarding as art. This one caught my attention as it was from Ep. 150, one of only three for whom Atsuo Tobe was Animation Director (he also did some of my sketchwork for Slayers Try and Hyper Police.) It's also a very pretty A1END image of Kagome and so was not very pricy.

So it's maybe not as simple an equation as my little poll makes it. I have a lot of things going on in my head as I browse auctions. Is this a series that I like, for the art if not for the plot? Does the image show something exciting happening? If not, do I know what's happening? Do I recognize the artist? Or do I want to know more about the art from this series? Does it fit into a pattern that I already see in my collection? And of course, is it a good value, or am I going to have to bid more than I want to spend to get it?

I think I'd probably say, "beauty AND drama," if I can get that in one lot within my budget. But failing that, "beauty OR drama," or at least "a specific animator or series that I want to know more about."