Con Panel and Cel Art Show - Mizucon 2014 (Miami)

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Con Panel and Cel Art Show - Mizucon 2014 (Miami)

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi Everyone,

I know I am running around like a crazy person in my zeal lately... Although all the support from everyone has been really great! So during the getting up and running on one of the projects I've been working on it came up that a few other Anime-Beta Members were interested in running panels about Cel Collecting. And would we get together and put together a quick powerpoint that could be used for said panel, and see if we could get out back among the people. I know I tend to spend a lot of my time around here, being a bit hermit like (occasionally) ^_^

So sometime after the topic came up, after I came back to this and thought there are like a million cons down here in SE FL, let's see what is scheduled for next year/this year! And so it looked like I missed a whole ton of deadlines, so I started sending out e-mails to see who would be interested, long story short, I've got a 45 minute panel at Mizucon at the beginning of October. I am also in talks to do a mini art show of a part of my collection either in the Maid Cafe or Artist Alley. So this is a two part question...

What should I talk about specifically in the panel, i.e. what would you like to know about when you first started collecting?

What pieces should I bring? Should I focus on one Anime or bring a selection?

Thanks Everyone in ADVANCE!
JD
:jumps
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Con Panel and Cel Art Show - Mizucon 2014 (Miami)

Post by kamidake »

A cel panel! Brings back memories. It's been forever since I been to one. :D

As I recall, most of the panels I been to people ask where they can buy cels and how to start a collection. I mean, it would also be helpful to know the difference between a cel and a genga, but anything too technical will probably be too boring for beginners. Maybe provide a list of sites they can go research if they're interested (like Beta) :) But if the panel is intended for beginners, I say keep it simple. Do include how they should be storing their cels too.

As for examples, I would like to see a complete set, genga, douga, cel if possible. Just to show off. And then a variety of other pretties just for eye candy.

Good luck with your panel!
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Wow, this sounds like an ambitious project! I admire your commitment and enthusiasm, Jadeduo. :badass

I still consider myself a new collector, but if I were a super-newbie, I would want to know the basics first. I would start by explaining what a cel is exactly and how each piece is created. You could follow this up with a brief history of cel animation leading up to the current digital age. Then, maybe you could devote each slide to a different type of cel/sketch with a brief explanation of what they are and how they function in the production (Key cel, douga, genga, layout, bank cel, etc.) with an example of each. Also, where can I buy production art(you could provide a list of sites and dealers) and guidelines for safe buying (how to spot fakes and when to be wary). Overall, though, I would keep things pretty general in the educational department.

You could also stress the fun of collecting and the online resources available to collectors, mainly RS and Anime Beta. Let them know about the community. Personally speaking, I became a much more enthusiastic collector once I got involved with RS and everyone here on Beta.

And I would definitely bring a selection of pieces to keep things interesting and spontaneous. :)

Hope this helps! Good luck!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I put in a bit that illustrates a point that I make, which is that "If you see it on the screen, then the art is probably out there, and you can own it." Then I show a series of screen caps from various anime series, cel-based and CGI, and follow them with scans of the original art in my collection. That lets me talk a bit about why the moment in the anime is special, and then gloat a bit over having tracked down the art. But the point is, theoretically anyone in your audience could do the same for a number of favorite series/movies.

Just a suggestion: the other comments make points about what newbie should know when beginning. (I always add "set yourself a budget and stick to it.")
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

...How about offering a prize, like a cel or a sketch? Prizes always seem to bring people in, even if they're not super interested in the topic.

I have some Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat sketches that I'm not super interested in. If you want them for this, let me know.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks Everyone for the tips! I am actually giving more training meetings at work in preparation for talking with my fellow anime nerds! I get a little nervous sometimes and tend to babble, I'm sure you guys have seen my forum posts lol.

So I did want to give some example of course and will draw heavily from my collection, however I do not own any Storyboards or Settei to use as an example of that type of production art. Is there anyone that would like to volunteer, an image from their collection as a good example of that type of art. I've never been overly interested in these because they are generally only available in photocopy form and while there can be some amazingly detailed photocopies out there I prefer original or cels... if at all possible. ^_^ I will of course give credit!

Thanks Cutiebunny, you should totally give a panel at one of those west coast cons you go to, and give it as a door prize, DigiCharat is super cute, I'm sure someone will love it as their first! I have a few freebies from CCS that I am planning on using for giveaways a couple Toyas that are not from episodes I was particularly interested in, but still pretty, I also have a Tennimon cel of Yuusuke that never made it into the episode, I went through the cut frame by frame and it seems they cut it from the episode. It's kind of weird looking but I think that is par for the course with Tennimon, amazingly beautiful or weird... No in between!

Oh, and no one answered my question, what cels should I bring! I kind of want to keep the number to 24... There are over 300 cels in my collection and love them all, does anyone have any favorites that I should definitely bring?

The budget as always good advice, and it is really hard to stick to, but definitely recommended!

Thanks again everyone!
JD
sensei

Post by sensei »

Jadeduo wrote: I do not own any Storyboards or Settei to use as an example of that type of production art. Is there anyone that would like to volunteer, an image from their collection as a good example of that type of art. I've never been overly interested in these because they are generally only available in photocopy form and while there can be some amazingly detailed photocopies out there I prefer original or cels... if at all possible. ^_^ I will of course give credit
I'd be happy to pass on scans of my Condition Green storyboards and my original settei from Powerpuff Girls Z and Sasami: Magical Girls Club. Let me know what kind of image you want (I have a few cels that go with the CG storyboards, for instance, which make interesting comparison) and how many. Wish I could join you!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I'd be happy to pass on scans of my Condition Green storyboards and my original settei from Powerpuff Girls Z and Sasami: Magical Girls Club. Let me know what kind of image you want (I have a few cels that go with the CG storyboards, for instance, which make interesting comparison) and how many. Wish I could join you!
Thanks Sensei! That would be great! I found some photocopy Settei from Season 1 of Sailor Moon for $17 with shipping! But I am unsure if they will arrive on time, and since I have a limited interest I figured I could give a few away as door prizes and keep a few for my collection, there was a really nice Nephrite one that I will prolly keep for myself for future panels. But original is kind of very hard to pass up I would love to fit those in... in comparison maybe to the final photocopies used by the whole staff.

I was hoping to show how storyboards can be really silly or really really amazingly detailed at times, so maybe I would like one of each? Would it be okay, when I get closer to finishing the powerpoint that you would take a look at it, to make sure I am not entirely incoherent? One day I would love to get my hands on one of my fave CCS Episodes Storyboards... That would be amazing! But I've never seen them, of course it's possible they have, as I've never gone looking for them.

Thanks!
JD
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

I don’t know how in-depth you want to go…
But, I’ve got some hand-drawn location settei from Urotsukidoji-
and a handful of color model cels from Phoenix 2772-

If you want to use any image scans of the above, just let me know the pixel dimensions you want.