2014 Year in Review & 2015 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

2014 Year in Review & 2015 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Post by cutiebunny »

I suppose it's that time of year already. Amazing how the end of the year creeps up on you. Wasn't it just Thanksgiving?!

As Sensei was a bit under the weather, I thought I'd step up and create the thread for this year. Sensei started this proud(?) tradition in 2006, so it's almost a ten year tradition on Beta. Going through some of the older topics, it's interesting to see who posted what, wonder where those who no longer actively post are now and see who has stuck around.

Before I fog up my nostalgia goggles too much, let's get on to the questions.

1. What was the best thing that's happened to your gallery/collection in 2014?

2. What was the most surprising thing that happened to your gallery/collection this year?

3. Which piece were you most proud of acquiring in 2014?

4. What's something that concerns you about your collecting experience?

5. What cel/sketch-related resolution do you want to make for 2015?

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution in 2013, how true did you stay to it?

Happy 2015 everyone :vict
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Re: 2014 Year in Review & 2015 Cel/Sketch Resolutions

Post by Jadeduo »

Gaah!!! Sensei! *Sends Tissues, and Good Health!* Feel better! I love doing this, thanks so much Cutiebunny for starting the thread! This is always a great tradition, and a great introduction to the newbies! I LOVE any newbies! So to get started!

Oh god! Last year it was getting halfway finished with getting the gallery under wraps I have been working on it sporadically... It is still not 100% done but I am getting there, I think most of the stuff up has blurbs. However, I have been lately thinking about changing things around and I might be upsetting the apple cart fairly soon on that front as well... So for this year I want to say that the best thing that has happened to my gallery is starting in a couple of new animes, and adding a large clutch of Loveless and Tenshi ni Narumon this year. I am still unsure if I will be continuing with Tennimon, but Loveless has definitely eaten a lot more of my budget than I was expecting.

2. What was the most surprising thing that happened to your gallery/collection this year?

After the Gallery Open House, I think the thing most surprising to me is that my peers think I am doing a good job with my collection. I am always unsatisfied with how the gallery looks, and I am constantly thinking is there something that I can do better? I was also very happy to win a gold and three silvers in the Beta Awards this year, my first time to participate in and run the contest!

This piece, which has been on my wishlist since 2003, I have finally gotten my grubby little hands on! ^_^ http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=378740 I'm sure once you read the blurb you can feel the palpable joy ^_^

The slowness has been VERY concerning to me, and I was worried about this last year. I have been trying to get the word out that you can still get the ultimate souvenir of your favorite anime, by doing panels and being active. However it makes me wonder if I am doing a difference... :( I have found a few very interesting forums about the art of animation that I am hoping to spend sometime digging in to get a feel for what people believe is going on. I was VERY worried about the prices taking a recent dive and then I got into a duel to the death over some CCS sketches this weekend so not so worried anymore...

I think I am going to keep with my resolution from last year, and continue to make it my goal to learn more about the animation process. As well as try to continue to work on my gallery to make it a more interesting place. I will say again setting a budget, but I decimated my budget this last year :P

6. If you posted a cel/sketch-related resolution in 2013, how true did you stay to it?

I murdered the budget and then left the corpse in a dumpster... @_@ I have learned a lot about the animation process in the last year, but I think that this will continue to be a work in progress as long as I am collecting.

JD :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

1. Let me think, the 'best' thing was despite being a lean year, I was still able to pick-up some treasured items from my favourite series' that I thought I never would have the opportunity to own.

2. Hmmm the most 'surprising' would definitely have to be the amount of correspondence or "feedback" received for my RS gallery over the year. I know all of us with visible on-line collections would receive comments from time to time, but this year I averaged one new "feedback" every 4weeks or so, ranging from newcomers all the way to artists.

3. Oh that is easy:-

Yurika MSNadesico END Cel

4. The general quietness & lack of new items available......basically anywhere including auction, dealer & store sites. As such, in order to obtain new items from the main series' I like to collect from, I had to dig deeper and generate new resources to tap into.
I believe next year will be better because with the continuing weakening of the JPY to other foreign currencies local collectors may be ever more tempted to liquidate some of their more higher-valued items. So as the Yen goes further down in value an item becomes cheaper to a foreign buyer, but conversely on the opposite side, the Yen received by the Seller increases.

5. There will be two new resolutions for 2015: continue enjoying the hobby + continue to expand my actual Anime collection; start checking out & purchasing other collectible or limited edition items including figures/statues, prints, original art, shikishi, books etc.

6. I was able to fulfil half of this year's resolution; unfortunately I was not able to upgrade my gallery but did drastically cut back on the 'impulse' buys.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

1st time posting in this thread topic:

Since late 2014, I've decided to become even more aware about preservation and storing my artwork(Sensei, you inadvertently help me to be more aware of this). I've already started to store and thoroughly check my cels for any noticeable damage from things such as that icky vinegar syndrome. I'm also keeping track of almost every piece of art purchased. Doing so has really helped me to calm down my impulse purchases(asking myself why I want x when you have y) and just in case anything happens, people close to me won't just throw them in the trash(no one else I know is interested in this hobby).

The amount of artwork that became available for particular series I either wanted artwork from or primarily collect(Lamune & 40 Fire). The later was a big surprise for me since most of the cels came in lots and most of them were from sequences I've always wanted. This series isn't exactly popular outside Japan(shame it wasn't localized since saber marionette and mecha series were really popular in the US years ago) so I was able to get a number of them for the opening bid. I guess good things do come along with time. I've also expectantly purchased some shikishi. I've always eyed these for years but I decided to take the plunge this year, mainly because I wanted some kind of artwork from these particular shows.

I bought a lot of wishlist cels/sketches but my proudest acquisition is my momokaze and akakaze pan sketch that I bought off YJ early this year(not uploaded yet :P). It was a huge surprise to see it for sale and, unsurprisingly, I won it for the opening bid price. The follow ups are:
Samurai Jack - evil and regular jack sketch(never thought I'd win a sketch from this episode)
Tales of Kizna sketches I read this is a poor cash grab card game but who cares as I was able to get Tales art because of it :D
Jojo shikishi primary reason stated above but I also love the new Jojo series.

My biggest problem is the amount of artwork I've accumulated. As I've stated earlier a particular seller on YJ was selling lamune cels in lots so unfortunately I had to take the extras along with the cels I was mainly paying for. Sometimes I can't tell which is worse having an over abundance of artwork available or having it so scarce that you have to hope a seller of collector eventually has it for sale.

I know these forums and collectors aren't as active as a few years ago, so I really wish I had the funds to attend cel gatherings such as RS east and whatnot. I'm going to see if I can attend some cons next year(aiming mainly for otakon) and hoping to run into a few fellow collectors. Another thing I'm planning is to do my best to dwindle my collection down. It's going to be hard since, according to what was counted, I have over 450 pieces of artwork to go trough 8O . Also, maintain what I'm doing in my 1st answer.

N/A :P
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Was finally able to slow the heck down in collection expansion towards the end of the year. Since my will isn't very strong, a complete halt of expansion right away would be near impossible, but looking at the proxy shipment list, good progress has already been made in the last quarter or so.

Actually able to let go of some piece at the price I paid for them during gallery open offer earlier, surprisingly.

Gotten some neat items this year, but same as last year and year before that, nothing came to mind that would make me the extreme proud owner of.

er, selection? Instead of browsing through YJA and Mandarake daily its now a few times per week. Its the right action for me considering whats out there that would be compatible with my unique taste.

Finally acquire a major wishlist that would allow me to look back many years from now and still be proud of such acquisition, regardless of my overall collection's future...6th year is the charm, its got to be!!

Very true, likely for the first time. Was able to both spend less time and less money on this hobby. Looking to do even better next year.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Aside from its exponential growth, the fact that my gallery is finally taking on an identity. In the beginning, my collection was a hodgepodge of shows and films with no clear emphasis or direction. I didn't know what I wanted, which made budgeting and choosing purchases much more stressful. Now I know what I want to collect from.

I may have said this last year, but I'm surprised at how BIG it's gotten. Specifically, the inclusion of certain items, like the Maleficent sketch and Kino artwork. And not to mention a scarcely seen Lain cel.

Pretty much the three I just mentioned haha. Maleficent takes the top spot. She's my favorite animated villain. Plus, I desperately want to collect Disney.

http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=381694

2nd place goes to this genga of Kino: http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=374322

3rd goes to my newest Lain cel. I won her on YJ a few months ago: http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=381683

In total, a sketch of my favorite villainess, and a sketch and a cel of my favorite heroines. :)

Hmm...specific to my collection, the rarity of certain items. My main objective is to collect as much Kino artwork as humanly possible. However, outside of the rilezu, lone sketches are exceedingly rare. The same can be said for Lain. My newest addition was one of the very few to appear online this year. Noir, too. The only recourse is patience, I suppose.

In terms of big picture concerns, the low level of activity on the forums. One of my goals for 2015 is to engage more actively in BETA events, maybe attend a con or two.

Spend less. Also, to build up my Kino collection.

My resolution was to spend less, and I think I did. I haven't tallied up the numbers. I purchased more this year, but not as many big ticket items. Now that my collection has some girth, it'll be easier for me to hold back. Er, I think. :wink:

Thanks for continuing the tradition, Cutiebunny! Feel better, Sensei!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I spent some time last night looking through the previous C/S Resolutions and it was interesting to note that, even in 2006, the supply of new cels to buy and the costs of purchasing artwork were just as much of a concern as they are to some now. It seems to be a universal concern and at least one member has noted this in their post in each C/S Resolution topic we've had.

Gallery - I updated my RS gallery with a new layout. I mentioned in the previous year's C/S Resolution that I was hoping to incorporate some commissioned artwork in the new banner, but it just didn't work out too well. I settled for using some artwork that the same artist designed instead. I'm happy with the new layout and color scheme. It's less busy and I like that I can highlight a particular sketch and cel every month, a feature that other galleries use and that I enjoy.

Collection - My acquisitions doubled compared to the previous year, the majority of these all coming from conventions. Despite my repetitive complaints regarding line management at conventions, all but Anime Expo panned out. AX is such a crapshoot and from personal experience, years ending in even numbers are phenomenally bad. I did manage to get a super wishlist Hakuouki Kazama sketch this year. And then there was that Shinya Kougami sketch drawn by the Psycho Pass character designer, Kyoji Asano. Oh. Yes.

Experience - Meeting Akihiro Kanayama. Kanayama is a old school; He was busting tail drawing douga before I was in diapers. He not only worked on the original Kimba the White Lion series, but he did the character design for Ashita no Joe. Kanayama's father was killed by a US soldier in WWII, and because of this, he had a really negative opinion of Americans. His appearance at Japan Expo USA was his first visit to the US, and over the course of a weekend, I watched as he went from recoil to acceptance to contentedness. I also was really happy to see that Izumi Matsumoto had a lot more color in his cheeks. He looked pretty pale at PMX in 2013 and I was concerned for his health then. And let's not forget how beet red I turned when aiding the creator of tentacle smut, Toshio Maeda, at his panel at AX this year.

Gallery - The gallery redesign, I guess. That was something that I had wanted to do for a while, though. There's only so much one can take floating bubbles before it just becomes nauseating.

Collection - I bought less than 10 cels/sketches from both CCS and Sailor Moon this year. While some nice stuff occasionally pops up, I don't find myself drawn to it as much. With the exception of Sailor Moon Crystal, I still love the anime but I don't find myself wanting anything that's popping up for sale. And yeah, SMC was the biggest shocker of the year for me. I can't think of the last time a series was hyped as much as this one was and became such an absolute disappointment.

I'm also going to have to eat my words over the promise I made regarding Akemi Takada's artwork. :hurt:

Experience - I had one collector tell me that he liked a certain convention before a friend and I attended. That made me laugh. I applaud him for his balls, but still...wow...it's always amusing when someone takes this hobby so personally. Since he's a member of this board and assuming he reads this, I hope you realize that I, too, have lost out on plenty of items I've wanted at charity auctions. The difference, though, is that I don't hate the people that won those items. None of them won the items with the intention that, by doing so, they would deprive me of them. They won them because they wanted them and they were willing and able to pay more than I was to buy them. There will always be someone out there that has more money than you and is willing to spend it. Get used to it.

*The* Psycho Pass Kougami sketch. Artistically, not even close to the best item I acquired this year. Oh Kou-chan, the things I would do for you :badass

(I swears I'm totally normal IRL. Not a fujoshi. At all.)

At least in the US, buying anime production artwork and collecting sketches feels like a dying hobby. I'm always surprised the amount of people I see soapboaxing how they support the industry by buying DVDs/BDs/merchandise but that they either don't know or don't care that there's a different side to the collecting experience which is just as valid. I'm sad that the main outlets where fans get their information, like ANN, never do anything to showcase the hobby. I realize this is because those that are paying the bills are the ones that are trying to peddle their mass produced anime/manga wares and they don't want to lose customers. I would like to see more outreach done but with the lack of artwork from new shows available, I don't know if getting more people interested in this hobby is realistic.

I'm also still on the edge with Kickstarter, especially with one company in particular who, while I'm happy has had a lot of success, seems to have gotten too big for its britches. Any company who tells me that I should feel grateful that, for $7000 I can get a color sketch from an artist is one that makes me laugh. Especially when, about a year ago, a similar sketch from the same artist sold on Mandarake for less than 1/3 of the asking price. I understand that the purpose of Kickstarter is to support projects and that the items offered as a reward are rarely, if ever, worth as much as their corresponding donation tier. But there's a big difference between an overhead fee I'm willing to pay and a fee that's more than 2x the selling price of a comparable sketch. It's hard for me to convince myself to support a project and its artists when what I'm willing to pay translates into a mass produced, printed shikishi reward level. I have not been too thrilled, thus far, with some of the rewards I've received (looking at you, Santa Company) and how my chain has been yanked (once again, Santa Company). I'm hoping that this improves in the future.

And, as already mentioned, as the exchange rate between Japanese yen and US dollars is looking more favorable, I can see myself spending more on Yahoo Japan in 2015 than I did this year.

I'm really interested in maintaining and expanding my connections, both with other collectors and conventions/companies, in 2015. I'm sponsoring a Japanese guest to attend a convention in 2015, though I can't really talk about it at this time. I hope that this experience is beneficial both to myself and to the convention and if so, I would like to continue doing this in 2016. This sponsorship has been a drain on my fun funds, but I like that it makes me seriously question if I want to go after an auction in lieu of just casting a bid. As with last year, I still would like to cooperate with other collectors and continue helping friends get autographs whenever possible.

Collection-wise, I want to tackle my Kobato artwork. 500+ backgrounds and I think I've scanned less than 1/10 of them. So while I won't give myself the lofty goal of finishing it all, I'd like to make a serious dent. Apologies in advance if, during the course of 2015, you get tired of background updates.

I mentioned that I wanted to revamp my gallery and receive my Koge Donbo sketches, both of which were accomplished.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Woof. It's been a nasty year health-wise, and I'm glad to see the last of it. Vertigo attacks from November 2013 to May 2014, then a necrotic tooth that had to be extracted, and then the flu (softened but not averted by the flu shot I prudently got) and a Xmas cold. I'm all jingle-kringled out and ready for three days in bed. Plus the chronic severe-to-profound deafness. But still standing.

Certainly taking advantage of a major release of Asatte no Houkou sketch art, especially from the odd-numbered episodes supervised by animation giant Ikuko Itou. I learned volumes about the production process and was able to annotate this part of my collection in a way that was worthy of this under-appreciated but very fine series.

I don't know that there were many surprises. Perhaps that the long-time foci of it, CCS, TnN and MKR, proved to be so scarce this time around (one cel, two sketch sets total).

In my 2014 in Review retrospective, I did name a wonderful AnH sketch (by Itou-sama) as my "Upload of the Year." But certainly a close second was this delightful cel from Dracula, Sovereign of the Damned, the 1980 campy Toei direct-to-TV movie.

I'm glad that there is now more chatter here and a stronger central group of participants on Beta. Still, I wish I had more opportunities to get out and show and talk about collecting face-to-face. My illnesses (especially my hearing woes) have impeded me here, and the one workshop I'd planned (for June, at AnimeNext) I had to back out of, as my house was burglarized the week before and the damage had not yet been repaired enough to make the place secure again. (The culprit was caught, but nothing stolen was recovered.) So I still feel stymied on this front. A close second: having the resources to keep my cels in good physical health, especially the ones from before 1990, which can be prone to vinegar syndrome.

See #6.

I need to shed some cel/sketch poundage. Watch for some sales in 2014 in which I try to trim down my collection to the series and items that I really want to keep for the duration.
Between one thing and another, I didn't do this. Gomenasai. Now that CCS cels seem to be on an uptick in prices (thanks to a recent reshowing of the series in Japan), I do need to sit down and sort out the long-term keepers from their neighbors that are nice but could go to more loving, caring homes. I will, health allowing, make moves to do some sales or at least limited gallery offers in 2015. Anyone interested in something in particular? Let me know. I won't be offended, though I do want to maintain a core collection, so not everything is up on the chopping block.

Happy 2015 everyone.

Adding my thanks and good wishes for the coming year to CB and all my fellow collectors. Despite the slowing of the YHJ market and the vanishing of dealers' sites, I still find it a fascinating and fulfilling pastime and remain committed to seeing anime as one of the important developments of international popular culture.
eyes0nme19
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by eyes0nme19 »

I acquired some long time cel wishlists in the beginning of the year which basically dried up my funds haha. Not sure if it qualifies as the "best thing" that happened to my gallery.

What surprises me is how my passion for the hobby has gone down since I've acquired my wishlists. When I acquired them, I never felt so satisfied and content. And now I find myself thinking..."Now what?" It's kind of worrying...

The cel wishlists I mentioned are from Hana Yori Dango, I acquired a total of four. And are worth every single penny :)

Like I mentioned before, I'm in kind of a slump since acquiring said wishlists. My funds have pretty much dried up this year, which sucks big time. I used to browse for artwork at least once a day, but now its more like once a month. Since there's less money at my disposal, I'm less inclined towards searching or purchasing cels/sketches on a whim. Which I guess is a good thing because I'm not spending $$ anymore?

On the other hand, since I'm less focused on expanding my collection, I now find myself watching more new anime. Its been enjoyable because I didn't watch much last yr, and now I'm regularly watching like four different ongoing series.

I haven't touched my cel books in a long time...they're kind of collecting dust in the corner of my bedroom X| I hope next yr I find the time to sit down and carefully look thru my collection again. Its gonna be tough, because I have five more months until graduation. I'll be super busy and stressed trying to scramble and finish school...not looking forward to that at all :l

Nope, I spent too much, so money became tight for my hobby this year :(
Anyway, Happy New Year! :cheers
ToriPagac
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by ToriPagac »

http://tori.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=375035 this is mt answer to the 3 questions im trying not to get collection envy this year but so far just two days in its not working :D
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Well, the only thing worth mentioning is that i decided it was the right time to get out of my blackhole so my collection is now available for everyone to see. Of course i didn't go announcing it until now so probably not many people (if any) have realized. It's quite a monothematic collection that you can guess looking at my icon :P

Really none, i only purchased 2 cels this year and none of them i can consider to be any special, and i have not even scanned them yet.

Nowadays none. In the past i used to worry about the market going dry but with the economy as it is these days i prefer the offer to stay low for a while. I prefer to save my money.

Really none. One can never say that his/her collection is complete but i'm quite satisfied with what i have. If something appears that i think fills a hole in my collection i'll try to go for it, but i have already let pass many nice eye-catching cels because they didn't really add anything to my collection.

Didn't have any on 2014. If i can try to make one for next year it will probably be to not be tempted into going into the blackhole again :D
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

That I was able to reorganize it and add a better descriptions.

that I was able to get a business card made for my gallery so I have something more professional to hand out. Surprisingly I have gotten taken more seriously when talking about collecting to non collectors.

I was able to get 2 new sections (Blood + & Sister Princess) of artwork that has been very scarce so it is nice that I can actually have them to share.

Lack of artwork from newer shows I like never being released for sale.

To again be selective and only add pieces we truly like reguardless of popularity.

I was able to follow it just fine.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison