Screencapping and what it says about you

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Screencapping and what it says about you

Post by sensei »

OK, so I bid on two lots of Yamibou sketches this week and won them, not because I especially like the series (it gives me the cooties) but I think the art (Character Designer and Series Animation Director: Asako Nishida) is really really well done :emb . And the scans for one are just the gengas and those for the other include a layout that just says it's cut 276. OK, I want to get screencaps for both these cuts.

But I have never seen the series, so how am I going to do that?
:sweatdrop

OK, the first set looks familiar: it's the moe character Milka from Ep. 6 or maybe 7. But why does that particular pose look soooooooo familiar? Ah, because I got the matching layout in one of the grab-bags I won last year. So it's Ep. 6, Cut 23.
Done. :yay

Now the "Cut 276" has got a 7-tail fox spirit and her maid. OK, Wikipedia identifies them (as Tamamonomae and Princess Mariel), so they're in Ep. 11 or 12. Cut 276 is near the end, so let's try the "Ep.12 Part 3" on YouTube. Dang, there it is!
Done. :vict

So what I'm wondering is what am I learning about myself that I seem to be able to intuitively find my way through a game-based yuri anime series that I've never even seen.
/hmm

Anyone else have any odd self-analytical epiphanies like this while sorting out lots that you've decided to go after?
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Re: Screencapping and what it says about you

Post by Jadeduo »

LOL. I deal with this every time I have to screen cap Saiyuki, while I know the manga backwards and forwards. I've said it before, and I will say it again. I can't watch Saiyuki the animation is choppy and just downright ugly some times, but there are some sections that are just gorgeous, so basically the inconsistency drives me bonkers. :bwall

So because, I've never been able to sit through the whole anime, so when I get a new set in if the season/series is identified I can usually ID it through the cut/episode number which is almost always some where in the sketch set. I have been lucky so far, so usually I will just run it down and take a screen cap. :D I haven't run into any issues yet... *knocks on wood* :emb

NOW with Loveless, because there are no good online resources I have taken it on myself to screenshot the entire series... Let's just say that is part of the reason, I have that stack of sketches still to do which are unidentified... And Loveless does not seem to be as diligent about keeping their cuts together... That seems to be why I have been having issues figuring out where stuff is, because I have a few episodes still left to do...

And it's like... after the first episode... I CAN DO THIS!!! :badass The Second episode... ugh... my back hurts... :sleep3 :sleep3 Agh! I'm awake! :coffee: I can do this! /eyes: Okay! That's done! A couple weeks later... Let's do episode 3! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

A Month later... God how many episodes are left... Okay let's do Episode 4! :dbz: :dbz: :dbz: :dbz: :dbz: :dbz:

I've discovered I'm a little crazy... and maybe a bit of a control freak? ^-^ Needless to say I still have to do at least 3/4 episodes, to do... Thoughts?

To answer your question Sensei... I think possibly we are all in the same boat!? :bounce
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

I can relate to you when it comes to the Saiyuki series with the only good thing coming from it are some of the gorgeous stills/pans that resulted from it.

As for screen-capping, it tells me that the episodes for the dragonball series are eerily embedded in my brain as I can mentally ID almost every cel/sketch that I own before resorting to the dvd's to confirm them(and being accurate with them most of the time).
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Majinuub, You are lucky! I have such an issue there are some I can tell right away, i.e. all my blue gi Goku either very end of DBZ or beginning of GT and I think the pants at the beginning of GT are a different color. Any of the fusion movie pieces cause I've screenshot that sucker to hell. But there are some in my unidentified that I have been looking for... for years... It doesn't help that Goku is in basically every episode and basically wheres the same thing all the time and unless you can see the symbol on the front of the shirt I find it hard to identify...

I can kind of narrow it down to saga, but I am not always right... *sighs* Goku... why are you so elusive! If you have any ideas on any of my unidentified I would totally appreciate it ^_^

And I AM SO GLAD I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS ISSUES WITH SAIYUKI! @_@ :bounce :bounce

JD
:coffee:
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

Yea Goku cels are hard to ID unless they''re from important/popular episodes since he's basically in every episode in the series(being the MC and all). I wouldn't be surprised if your GT chibi Goku cel wasn't used in any episodes. It's easy to ID when Uchiyama did the animation for certain episodes and I don't recall him using too many Ki blast in chibi form, especially after he gets SS4 for the remainder of the series. Well, the closest I can think of is when they arrive on Giru's planet. As for the other Goku Ki blast, it's most likely from a Z flashback for the original series as I can see the strap for his pole on his right. Anyway if I spot any of these shots, I'll let you know asap :) .
sensei

Post by sensei »

Rinkya package came today :crazy and I was happy to see that I was right on the money with my YamiBou ep/cut ids. :vict

Hah ... cut bag, timing sheet, the whole run of sketches and all. And I took time to compare the Ep. 6 cut 23 copy layout with the autograph layout I'd gotten in an earlier lot. Yep, identical.

A harder task will be finding the scenes that go with individual sketches in a miscellaneous bunch of broken sketch sets from Tenshi ni Narumon, only one of which was identified by Ep./cut. But I could see that one of the sketches came from Step 21. On screening that to do the screen grab, I got interested enough to go ahead and let the rest of the episode run and found three more matching scenes in short order. :hippy

Highlight so far is this nice rough from the opening scene of Step 17.

Steps 17 and 20 were the two Tennimon episodes sub-contracted to Kyoto Animation and created by associates of the distinguished animator Tatsuya Ishihara (Haruhi Suzumiya). The KyoAni episodes of Tennimon, Hyper Police, and Inuyasha share a distinctive style, and the roughs are always extraordinarily fine. This one must be by Kazumi Ikeda, later chief animation director of Clannad and Kanon 2.

But patience ... it will be quite some time before I update. :sleep3