Pleasant "surprises" within your collection

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
noildoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Pleasant "surprises" within your collection

Post by noildoof »

Recently I discovered that two cels I had always thought were stuck to their backgrounds actually weren't! :o These were cels from my early days of collecting, before I'd started regularly checking that sort of thing. Also discovered a while ago that my very first cel, which I was stupid enough to frame and hang on a lit wall, smells perfectly fine (no vinegar syndrome despite being 20+ yrs old) and has little line fading (phew, lucky!). Finally, I found a sketch I was worried had gotten lost, because I hadn't seen it in a while.

Anyone else have nice surprises like these?
x
Otaku - Fanatic

Re: Pleasant "surprises" within your collection

Post by x »

I recently opened up a couple of packets of sketches and was pleasantly surprised to find that instead of sketches from a single cut, they had sketches from multiple scenes with multiple characters.
So it felt like I was getting free extras.

Hmmm, I also framed my first ever cel. I think it was a cheap US$20 cel and the framing cost me triple that amount.
It does look great on my wall so I was okay with it.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Most of my surprises come when I get new lots and process them. I recall a cel that I got from a major CCS scene that I got at a steep discount because it was "stuck to sketch." When I got it, I couldn't help taking an old photo to explore where it was stuck and how badly. I gently probed ... and probed ... looking for the stuck spot ... and suddenly the sketch and cel slipped apart. No damage to cel or sketch, just a momentary dalliance.

I also get surprises as I learn more about what I have. One of the first sketch sets I got was a set of four gengas from another key CCS scene. When I got it, I found that I had also gotten four more sketches, all done on light green paper. At the time, I had no idea what these were, but a more experienced collector on Animanga (anyone remember Animanga? Image) explained that the light-green ones were the episode animation director's final corrections. Much later, I learned that these were done by CCS's character designer/chief animation director, Kumiko Takahashi.
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Taped to the back of an unrelated cel and background setup, this awesome drawing was used as a stiffener.
Unfortunately, I don’t recognize what it is from.

Also, I’ve got this Guyver genga:
It was used to back an AD Police Files cel. I turned the cel around and thought, “That’s Guyver-1’s hand grabbing Ramotith before he drops him off a building from The Guyver OVA, act 1 episode 2, ‘Battle of the Two Guyvers’!”… then I realized I might have watched the Guyver way too many times.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

Shortly after buying my Band Concert Mickey cel, I found that exact shot featured in a Disney Old Nine Men book when they gave the biography of Les Clark when he worked ont he early Mickey films. That was a pleasant surprise!
noildoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by noildoof »

Recently finished rebagging my collection and found, to my pleasant surprise, that I was able to unstick the second cel I ever got from its background.

Only one of the cels in my collection had clear signs of vinegar syndrome, which I guess isn't exactly great news, but it's in the very early stages (slight vinegar smell and very, very faint washboard effect on the edge - you'd have to be looking for it to notice). Thankfully it was a cheap cel from a show with plentiful stock (Battle Athletes) and wasn't a particularly great shot. Isolated it in my cabinet in the kitchen - I don't really have anywhere else to put it, I live in a boarding house and only have one room to myself.

A few other cels that I at first thought smell just slightly vinegar-y actually aren't - It's a funky paint smell coming specifically from the painted areas, and not the cel itself. Phew. On the cel with vinegar syndrome, the smell is clearly coming from the acetate itself and smells a bit different from the paint smell.

I guess most of this isn't actually "pleasant" surprises - more like "relieving."

Ah, wait, I DID also find a Toon Makers Sailor Moon sketch I thought I'd sold. Nice to see I still have it - It's of Sailor Mercury in her flying, laser-shooting wheelchair. It's the most 90's thing ever and I love it.