Anime Shop Commit

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Anime Shop Commit

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

For anyone who's come to Japan or lived here and enjoyed browsing through the plethora of cases and binders of cels at Anime Shop Commit, you probably know what it feels like to abruptly lose this great asset.

Some time around October of last year, the shop in Nakano Broadway closed its doors for an undisclosed period of time. Up until maybe a month or so ago, there had been a paper pasted on the metal grate of the shop that apologized for the sudden closure. I imagined that perhaps something personal forced the owner to close up shop temporarily, but with these recent findings, I worry that this might be more permanent.

The paper explaining the closure has been removed from the metal grate over his store, leaving no trace that there is any store there at all. The official Web site is no longer functional, although a quick WHOIS search reveals that it is still registered until the end of July. The main site gives a 403 Forbidden error, so it's pretty clear at least the domain name is still protected. The various pages on his site, however, gives a 404 File Not Found error, which is understandable if he merely wanted to close the Web site while the store is closed.

And of course, the related YJ users twin_angels_xx and tbrjy803 have been inactive since September/October of last year. It looks like these users are still in the system, but none of the feedback messages from either of these users are visible on my user page even though positive feedback is still counted.

I really hope that everything is okay personally, physically, and business-wise for the owner. I haven't been able to get over to Nakano hardly at all yet this year, but the times that I have, it felt very sad and empty not being able to browse through his items. Of course, Mandarake is still there and they do get some gems from time to time, but... It just feels like a very prominent figure in the animation artwork business has disappeared.

That being said, let's try to be at least a little bit optimistic! I'm hoping someday the owner will come back! So, with that spirit, what are some of your memories of his store or maybe a special item that you purchased from him?

This is a really nice cel of Ryo from Samurai Troopers that I got from him back in 2008:
http://rekka.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv ... mID=247649
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Anime Shop Commit

Post by Gabe »

-
Last edited by Gabe on Wed May 27, 2015 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Gabe wrote:I'm anyway shocked how Nakano changed the last 7 years or so.
Lots of shops are gone from the old days. AWS moved from their big shop in a smaller one.
There was an artwork shop that you needed to knock on the door to get access in.
Everything gone. :bwall
Oh really? I didn't find out about the place until maybe 5 years ago, but I can imagine what it would have been like for many actual stores to close up after so many great Websites have also done the same. It's really unfortunate for art enthusiasts like us, isn't it? Why do you suppose that is the case these days? I can't imagine there is any less of a demand for the art, is there...??
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

-
Last edited by Gabe on Wed May 27, 2015 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I'm really sad to hear this. The majority of my CCS collection and all but a handful of my Kobato backgrounds came from Commit/twin_angels. I visited the physical store a couple times while I was there and brought back quite a bit of artwork from those trips back to the U.S.

I am very grateful for the items I've purchased through him and only wish I had been able to speak enough Japanese to have carried on a conversation with him about collecting. I'm sure he had a lot of good stories about the old days and dumpster diving.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Well, I just stopped over in Nakano briefly last night and there's a new sign taped to the grate over the old ASC store. It says that the store is open from 10am-5pm for buy-backs only; they will purchase any of your own animation artwork that you want to sell. Any normal sales from the store, however, are currently closed. So, although I am in no position to comment on any official update, it certainly looks like the store will be reopened sometime... hopefully soon. *fingers crossed*
RePete
Anime Geek

Post by RePete »

I had been wondering what happened to Twin Angels. There had been a nice piece I had been eying and was about to buy but then he disappeared.
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

I appreciate both dealers a great deal. A good portion of my School Rumble sketches were purchased from them. Hope all for the best.
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

News! The shop is now open for regular business now! The wall of binders are gone but Tsuboi-San says that he plans to get more items in, so hopefully business does well! I found a few minor B't X cels that I felt I needed to buy...both for my own collection and to sort of welcome him back in a way he might appreciate...? Yes, I'm a moron. lol

But definitely good news!! It was pretty boring coming all the way out there from Yokohama to only browse Mandarake's pathetic selection. :P
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Woohoo! Thanks for the news ^_^ I've gotten most of my collection from him, and purchased a couple of my favorite cels in person at the store, including these two gems:

http://kuroitsubasa4.rubberslug.com/gal ... mID=363244

http://kuroitsubasa4.rubberslug.com/gal ... mID=363245

I can definitely understand what you mean Rekka. Commit was always my main/only reason for going to Nakano so if it were to close, I may not even bother :(
Blaster
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Blaster »

I'm very happy to see Commit is open again!

I've visited him a few times over the years, and I was sad when I found his store closed the last couple times I went to Japan (December last year and March this year). I even went back to check this year at the beginning of April this year, but he was still closed (unless I got there too early in the day maybe?)
Like others, I've bought a lot of stuff from twin_angels on YJ. Very nice person, and an awesome dealer. Hopefully he'll be open for a long time to come :D
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I knew the story of why they closed, however, I am glad to hear they are open again. Hopefully he wont make the same mistake twice. :cheers