Show me cheap, cheap, cheap!!

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Show me cheap, cheap, cheap!!

Post by Moop »

Okay, I think a topic kinda sorta like this may have existed about a decade ago, but I can't find it and the links in it are probably dead anyway, so I don't care. :P I just spent gobs of money on some really awesome cels, but doing so got me remembering that some of my happiest finds over the years were the ones that did not turn my bank account into a scene reminiscent of a barren, post apocalyptic landscape. I thought it might be fun to look at other people's precious bits of cheapo plastic. :)

This is one of mine. It only cost me twenty bucks on YJ, no one else even bid on it...and yet I am so attached to it that if you tried using a crowbar to pry it out of my cold, dead hands, I would snatch said crowbar away, beat you soundly and send you on your way: http://garden.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=325461

Anyone else have something deeply frugal that they love? That bargain basement sure can be a fun place to shop...
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Show me cheap, cheap, cheap!!

Post by sensei »

Golly, I've been such a cheapskate for my whole collecting career, that I'm tempted just to paste the url for my gallery and let folks find the one they like most.

But the one I remember the most is this one:

That's Chief Animation Director Kumiko Takahashi's rough sketch for the peak moment in CCS's climactic Ep. 69, when Syaoran finally turns to Sakura and makes his big confession.

I knew I'd be on an international flight to Dublin for an academic conference when this prize-of-all-prizes counted down on YHJ, so before checking out of my stateside hotel, I went online and bid the whole pot that I had sitting loose in my account, hoping it would be enough, or at least sufficient that I wouldn't lose too embarrassingly.

When I landed in Ireland, I found a kiosk where for a one-Euro coin I could have three minutes of Internet access, so I could check how the auction ended.

:OMG :jaw :OMG

Winning price (to Sensei praise be to St. Patrick): 1200 yen (twelve bucks, as the yen was then running 100 to the dollar). Plus Internal Ship, Commission, Wire Fee, total $28.20.

I got a real flat-top Irish cap with the remains of the pot I'd bid, which I still wear today.

Oh, and the sketch came with the other three keys from the sequence, plus all four layouts.

Telling this story still makes me shiver all over.

PS, I got the staples off my incision today. That makes my tummy look a lot less Goth, but it feels a lot happier.
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

Hi there, Moop. I wasn't around when you were collecting back in the day, but I'd like to say welcome back. And thanks for starting this fun new topic. :)

The one that stands out the most to me is this sketch of Maggie Simpson and Bobo the bear from the Simpsons. While only a rough layout, it shows a very iconic scene from the show. Basically, any Simpsons fan would immediately recognize this image. Quality Simpson sketches can sell for over $100, but I got this sketch for just $35 on ebay. As a huge Simpsons fan, and as someone who doesn't have the green to shell out $300-$1000 per cel, I didn't hesitate when I saw the "Buy it Now" button.

http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=378960
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by lunacels »

This is a fun topic!

My cheapest cel, and one of my favorites: Sailor Neptune performing her Submarine Reflection attack.
http://lunacels.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... emID=58833

Purchased in 2001 from the AWS lottery for a whopping 500 yen. Seriously people, $4.28 USD! (I actually ran the 2001 conversion rate.) I still have the cel bag with price tag because I just couldn't believe it. I ended up winning another cel in the lottery at the same time--Michiru playing her violin in the Three Lights concert from Stars Episode 180. It also was ridiculously cheap but I can't remember the final price...I want to say it was in the $60 ballpark. :bny

Whatever happened to AWS? I see the page is still there...what is their cel supply these days I wonder?
x
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by x »

Hi Moog,
I'm another old member that has only recently popped back in again.

My super cheapie $20 cel also happens to be my first ever cel.
http://popzap.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=382362

I got it framed and the framing was more than 3 times the price of the cel. I do like how it came out though.

Needless to say it had company pretty quickly.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

So much fun!!! This is a great idea!! So many bargain pretties!

I have gotten a few bargains over the years, but this one would have to be pried from my cold dead hands!

$16.33 AFTER COMMISSION on YJ! And seriously the paint basically covers the entire piece of Acetate! I generally eat shipping when we ship quarterly it's silly to add that to the cel price anyway as we only ship like once a quarter.

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=370826

^_^ :vict
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Sometimes you can luck into things.

A. find a series no one reconizes
B. hope that even though only 2 sketches are shown of the 30 that the rest are not of hands or mouths.
C. see it close for your opening bid of 3000 yen
D. open package when it arrives to find that almost every character on the show is represented. :bounce

http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/mast ... 896&Page=1
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

Back in the 90s when you could walk into cel shops in Japan I picked up several really cheap items that would have been 4x the price here, but I don't know that I have any of them currently scanned and up in my gallery. Even with that, the following is what popped into my mind when I saw the thread. I think I got this one at a con for $5. Don't know what it is from, but I thought it was too cute and nice to pass up at that price.

http://robert.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=169208
Punkxprince
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Punkxprince »

Cool new thread! I have quite a few cels that fall into the "cheap" category but are definitely worth a lot more than I paid. About half of my Trigun collection came from a single collector and I ended up paying somewhere around $20 for each of them. My favorite two though have to be Vash and Frank which I got for $25 and Midvalley the Hornfreak which I got for $30.

Another one I'd like to mention is one of my more recent acquisitions. This super nice Vampire Hunter D popped up on eBay for a buy it now price of just $120 so I snatched it up pretty quickly haha.
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

Flashback shot of 1st Princess Milk and Lamuness the 1st

Cels of these 2 are very rare. Heck flashback sequences of them fighting Abraham from episode 1 went for at least 15,000 yen every time it went up for sale. I managed to snag this perfect shot A1 shot of them from their 1st encounter for roughly $10(even less as it was included in a lot :P ).
KinoLRB
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by KinoLRB »

$40.00 for an A1 End cel, in perfect condition, with matching production background, layout, genga copy and douga. :)

http://celluloidcentral.rubberslug.com/ ... mID=387687