Lightning Updaters, Slow Updaters, and Black Hole Collectors

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Re: Lightning Updaters, Slow Updaters, and Black Hole Collec

Post by Jadeduo »

@Lunacels, me a CB are fine we are still hanging around although we seem to be both a little more cautious with our galleries. The only reasons things don't make it to my gallery is time constraints, although usually things won't show until about 6 months to a year later, although sometimes I update right away I hardly ever do though.

LOL no worries, I am not mad or anything I was just surprised it was going so high and then when it showed up on the RS feed as yours I was like, oh, that makes sense! ^_~

It was the same thing with that Jupiter and Mars set from YJ a few months back I was like cool I love that Juppy, and MTG loved the Mars so we could split, and then it went too high so we were out, and then we saw it post to your gallery, and we were like cool, at least we know where to visit them now! ^_^;;

I know I am never going to win in a bidding war with some people and I have made peace with that. Although I am sorry I made you poor, I was ready to go higher, but then I was like, there is no sequence number, not going higher! ^_^;; So you might have lucked out, or I did, LOL Cause I will have those Chibi-usas and a surprise coming in 6 months so it was worth it not going higher!

I was going to send you a pm, but is there anyway I could borrow a picture of one of your harmonies for the Cel Panel, I do not own any, and all of yours are so pretty!

JD
:vict
lunacels
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by lunacels »

JD, I'm glad everything worked out with your upcoming additions--and you know, those cel cuts really are a PITA! I wish I could go back in time and beg the studios not to make those cuts. :bawl

That cel panel sounds fun! You are welcome to whatever scans I have, though (and I know I am about to sound uninformed) I didn't think any of my cels fit the definition of a harmony. If it turns out I have one and didn't know it, you'll have to educate me! Let me know if there are any cels in particular you are interested in, and I'll see if I have a better scan (sans watermark) somewhere. PM me with details and I'll send you my email address!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Jadeduo wrote:@Lunacels, me a CB are fine we are still hanging around although we seem to be both a little more cautious with our galleries.
I only update because you're such a nag :vict

Seriously, I can *totally* see you pulling a Cinderella's Stepmother thing on me by telling me I can't go to the YaoiCon Bishonen Auction until I finish with a gallery update.

That's a scary thought. Gonna go cry now at the thought of this prospect /sob
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

*hides whip* I would never do that!

Although are there bishies you are hiding from us Cutie? And are they important enough that the world should know about the hotness, before the Bishie Auction! We have 2 months till September! ^_~

You have plenty of time to update before then! :whip

*insert maniacal laughter here*
teppy
Anime Geek

Post by teppy »

This is a fun thread. I am mostly a very slow updater.

I am a very slow updater for several reasons: I have been collecting cels for a very long time and used to put everything up lightning fast. (Note -my collection is much smaller than most). However, looking back on it, I did not like the way I posted my cels. This is especially evident in my Voltron gallery. I would just post the cel with little to know explanation - just the basics of who the characters were and some dinky little comment, if that.

Then, a few years ago, I got really inspired by galleries like Sensei's (which I will never match nor seek to) and Benten's. I especially liked the way these galleries did several things:

1. Sensei put each work in the context of anime as a genre of art and paired the work with insightful commentary.
2. Benten very carefully recorded episode numbers, titles, seasons and information about each show from whence the cel originated.

I wanted very much for my future updates to follow. If you look at my Ranma, Macross and tiny LOGH sections, you'll see that I now methodically record these details. Whereas, if you look at my Voltron collection, there is none of this information. I feel that this extra information really adds to my satisfaction in posting, and, although I receive little gallery feedback, I hope that the viewer enjoys it.

So, for me, posting to rubberslug is now a bid endeavor. I need to research (if I don't know) from which episode the cel is from, find the corresponding time stamp, take a screen capture, transcribe the appropriate dialogue for posting, describe the context of the scene and then provide my own commentary on why the cel is special to me. This all takes some time, and I can lack the motivation to do it.

So, because I am so glacially slow, I guess you could say that I'm also a blackhole collector. For the hobby, in general, and for comradery, blackhole collecting should, possibly be discouraged, but I understand why some people won't/don't want to share what they have. However, I find it depressing. For instance, I recently hesitated on a quick buy-it-now auction on ebay for a dream cel. I have no way of knowing who won the cel, and I desperately want it. I'm sure the buyer wants it too because he/she bought it at a premium and doesn't want to be pestered by me (I'd pester), still, it would be great to know who has the cel and to be able to see it, even though I know I don't have a right to expect such information.

Anyhow, that's it for me!
Looking for: Excellent cels of Misa Hayase from Macross.
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

When I first got my R-Slug gallery up & running I would have been termed a 'lightening' updater, receiving a new Rinkya package would be like a pure shot of excitement. As soon as each item was unpacked, checked & cleaned, they were scanned and uploaded as soon as possible, usually that same night or the very next day. Early on I was determined to not be labelled as a "Black-hole/private" collector and share what I had managed to acquire with anyone who were also interested in the anime/art that I liked and enjoyed.
I have mentioned this before, but after only a few months of gallery activity I received an email via the R-Slug feedback feature from a fellow 'collector' going off their nut at "how dare I outbid them" and the audacity of me out-bidding them on the auctions they wanted to win (three Escaflowne cels). Plus by putting those cels up in my Gallery I was "deliberately" rubbing-in the fact I had won those auctions. On top of that I should not even be bidding on "those type" of cels in the first place because according to their thinking a Japanese studio had produced those cels and therefore should "stay" in Japan with a local collector only. There was more, but the original message was so jumbled and the 'English' very poor, the above was all I was willing to decipher. I never expected to receive such an aggressive message (and with no name left?) but put it down as a one-off event.
Unfortunately over the course of the following four/five months I continued to receive on average at least one 'vent-mail' each week; I could pretty much guarantee that if there had been some serious bidding warfare on any of the cels I had won, then I was bound to receive one or two "unfriendly" emails. I stopped counting at eight separate email addresses (with one originating from Brazil, two were French and the rest Japanese). To counter that, I decided to hold-off from requesting the cels I won on a weekly basis changing to a monthly and then quarterly basis in an effort to curb the incoming vent-mails, changing to a 'slow updater' in the process. This strategy seemed to work as weeks/months would have passed between the actual auction and then uploading the cels into the gallery.
Fast forward to 2015 where I have about 12months-worth of anime art waiting to be scanned & uploaded into the gallery but 'real life' has taken precedence since April. All up, I am probably halfway through researching & gathering information and then will need a couple of free days to concentrate on scanning.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
teppy
Anime Geek

Post by teppy »

Quacker wrote:When I first got my R-Slug gallery up & running I would have been termed a 'lightening' updater, receiving a new Rinkya package would be like a pure shot of excitement. As soon as each item was unpacked, checked & cleaned, they were scanned and uploaded as soon as possible, usually that same night or the very next day. Early on I was determined to not be labelled as a "Black-hole/private" collector and share what I had managed to acquire with anyone who were also interested in the anime/art that I liked and enjoyed.
I have mentioned this before, but after only a few months of gallery activity I received an email via the R-Slug feedback feature from a fellow 'collector' going off their nut at "how dare I outbid them" and the audacity of me out-bidding them on the auctions they wanted to win (three Escaflowne cels). Plus by putting those cels up in my Gallery I was "deliberately" rubbing-in the fact I had won those auctions. On top of that I should not even be bidding on "those type" of cels in the first place because according to their thinking a Japanese studio had produced those cels and therefore should "stay" in Japan with a local collector only. There was more, but the original message was so jumbled and the 'English' very poor, the above was all I was willing to decipher. I never expected to receive such an aggressive message (and with no name left?) but put it down as a one-off event.
Unfortunately over the course of the following four/five months I continued to receive on average at least one 'vent-mail' each week; I could pretty much guarantee that if there had been some serious bidding warfare on any of the cels I had won, then I was bound to receive one or two "unfriendly" emails. I stopped counting at eight separate email addresses (with one originating from Brazil, two were French and the rest Japanese). To counter that, I decided to hold-off from requesting the cels I won on a weekly basis changing to a monthly and then quarterly basis in an effort to curb the incoming vent-mails, changing to a 'slow updater' in the process. This strategy seemed to work as weeks/months would have passed between the actual auction and then uploading the cels into the gallery.
Fast forward to 2015 where I have about 12months-worth of anime art waiting to be scanned & uploaded into the gallery but 'real life' has taken precedence since April. All up, I am probably halfway through researching & gathering information and then will need a couple of free days to concentrate on scanning.
The few folks who sent you nasty emails, I hope, are outliers. Yes, it sounds like a nuisance to deal with this folks. But, you can, perhaps, take it in stride. I am glad that it did not dissuade you from posting your collection, and the strategy you have settled on sounds like a good one to deter such malicious emails. I think we also have to take into account the "silent" majority of collectors who are thankful to see the artwork on public display, even if they do secretly ( or not so secretly) lust after what it contains.

Speaking of which, your Evangelion collection is fabulous. I especially enjoy your examples of Rei and Misato! :)
jenn-b
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by jenn-b »

It has been so long since I posted here...but this topic is near and dear to my heart!

I started the same as you, Quacker...updating religiously upon receiving a parcel. Once I moved back to PA, my internet was spotty, at best. I would, therefore, scan and prep...and wait until I had connectivity! Of course, during this time, I went through a divorce and other life happenings. Priorities changed...focus waned. Now, let me put out there that I did not stop collecting during this time. I just was juggling my free time and found it more and more difficult to post updates.

Not to mention the fact that I was required to hide several items that I purchased from public eyes. A few I thought understood...the one series was because the cels were supposedly so savagely sought after, that the fact a US collector had them would cause the polar caps to melt. Or some such nonsense. But I happily agreed because I wanted the pieces. And those stayed hidden.

It was when I was told that I could not show artwork - not because of studios or legal ramifications or global warming - but because the sellers did not want to upset a particular customer of theirs, that I started to get my snark on. Was my money not just as good as someone else's? If it's that scary, maybe you should not be offering them to me...But it was a series that I desperately wanted, so I agreed.

More hidden artwork. More snark.

But what really pushed me over the edge was when I had been extremely quiet with my gallery, that I received an email telling me what a horrible collector I was to sit on the items in my gallery and not caring for them. Since I hadn't updated in over a year, I obviously did not care about my collection any longer and I should "do the right thing" and sell them specific items. At a fraction of the cost. And I am well aware that I have...on occasion...purchased high priced items. Or I bought them in the heyday when prices were much higher. But I'm talking about the demanding that I sell Battousai Kenshin for $50. That was when I pulled everything down from public view - except for a few of my most prized pieces.

Now remember....I never quit collecting...I just quit updating all of my items. Enter a new husband...and new store...more dogs than any one person should ever have under their feet...and updating to my online gallery just was not as important. Collecting, however, remains very important to me. I update quite often to RS...but only as hidden items. I collect for myself. And while I wish that I could feel confident showing all of the pieces that I have acquired over the past 17 *OH MY GOD* years, I just am not mentally up for the trolls out there.

If you are one of the people that has contacted me over the past several months, please rest assured that none of this is about you! As a matter of fact, the inquiries that I have received recently have been so polite and kind...I am thinking of adding a few more pieces to the viewable gallery. Maybe. We will see.

Once a Bleach Whore...always a Bleach Whore

"Looks like you're on the ass end of an ass-kickin'" the All-Powerful Bender
teppy
Anime Geek

Post by teppy »

jenn-b wrote:It has been so long since I posted here...but this topic is near and dear to my heart!

But what really pushed me over the edge was when I had been extremely quiet with my gallery, that I received an email telling me what a horrible collector I was to sit on the items in my gallery and not caring for them. Since I hadn't updated in over a year, I obviously did not care about my collection any longer and I should "do the right thing" and sell them specific items. At a fraction of the cost. And I am well aware that I have...on occasion...purchased high priced items. Or I bought them in the heyday when prices were much higher. But I'm talking about the demanding that I sell Battousai Kenshin for $50. That was when I pulled everything down from public view - except for a few of my most prized pieces.

Now remember....I never quit collecting...I just quit updating all of my items. Enter a new husband...and new store...more dogs than any one person should ever have under their feet...and updating to my online gallery just was not as important. Collecting, however, remains very important to me. I update quite often to RS...but only as hidden items. I collect for myself. And while I wish that I could feel confident showing all of the pieces that I have acquired over the past 17 *OH MY GOD* years, I just am not mentally up for the trolls out there.

If you are one of the people that has contacted me over the past several months, please rest assured that none of this is about you! As a matter of fact, the inquiries that I have received recently have been so polite and kind...I am thinking of adding a few more pieces to the viewable gallery. Maybe. We will see.
This is over the top. Someone who emails you to chide you and "demand" that you cel your cels because you are a negligent collector? That's nuts. I would just ignore these folks and send the emails to the trash bin. There are so many others who appreciate the cels...and, if you do get a few polite offers, maybe you'd be interested or not, but those can't be too much of a bother. I hope you continue to enjoy your collection and maybe add to the public gallery. Enjoy!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I am still amazed how many people have come out of the woodwork to comment here! It is so nice to see old faces! Please don't go away again! Try to pop in from time to time! No need to update, but some participation to let us know you are still around would be great! ^_^ :ghug: :ghug:

I am of course appalled to hear these stories, I have one girl that has sent me an e-mail once every three months since I posted it, asking me to sell my Teenage Chibi-usa she is very nice, but I can see how that would be irritating. I can't even imagine what I would do if she was abusive. Most likely knowing me I would block her e-mail cause *ain't nobody got time for that!* But she is very polite and we chat occasionally, so it's cool.

I am always in a state of not selling in general, I only put some pieces up recently because I am trying to thin out a smidge the collection is getting kind of large... @_@ I never thought I would have that problem! ^_^;;

I think unfortunately unsolicited offers are kind of what happens when you have a gallery and it will always be a part of it. I try to keep in mind if I am going to do that I try to be respectful, I however am always going to be guilty of starting out low when I send in an offer to a private collector, because by nature I am cheap. But it is obvious I spend decent amounts of money when you look at my collection! LOLsies!!!

Keep the responses coming!
JD
teppy
Anime Geek

Post by teppy »

Jadeduo wrote:I am still amazed how many people have come out of the woodwork to comment here! It is so nice to see old faces! Please don't go away again! Try to pop in from time to time! No need to update, but some participation to let us know you are still around would be great! ^_^ :ghug: :ghug:

I am of course appalled to hear these stories, I have one girl that has sent me an e-mail once every three months since I posted it, asking me to sell my Teenage Chibi-usa she is very nice, but I can see how that would be irritating. I can't even imagine what I would do if she was abusive. Most likely knowing me I would block her e-mail cause *ain't nobody got time for that!* But she is very polite and we chat occasionally, so it's cool.

I am always in a state of not selling in general, I only put some pieces up recently because I am trying to thin out a smidge the collection is getting kind of large... @_@ I never thought I would have that problem! ^_^;;

I think unfortunately unsolicited offers are kind of what happens when you have a gallery and it will always be a part of it. I try to keep in mind if I am going to do that I try to be respectful, I however am always going to be guilty of starting out low when I send in an offer to a private collector, because by nature I am cheap. But it is obvious I spend decent amounts of money when you look at my collection! LOLsies!!!

Keep the responses coming!
JD
'Tis true. When it's in the public gallery and it's good, unsolicited offers will come in. I'm the first to admit that I'm one of those annoying people who politely inquiries if I see something awesome. It can be a low percentage possibility, but you don't know if you don't try, and I find that even if it leads to nothing material, I've had quite a few good conversations with fellow collectors who share the same collecting interests...all sparked from an offer inquiry. :)
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

jenn-b wrote:But what really pushed me over the edge was when I had been extremely quiet with my gallery, that I received an email telling me what a horrible collector I was to sit on the items in my gallery and not caring for them. Since I hadn't updated in over a year, I obviously did not care about my collection any longer and I should "do the right thing" and sell them specific items. At a fraction of the cost. And I am well aware that I have...on occasion...purchased high priced items. Or I bought them in the heyday when prices were much higher. But I'm talking about the demanding that I sell Battousai Kenshin for $50. That was when I pulled everything down from public view - except for a few of my most prized pieces.

Ugh. Reading this comment takes me back ohhh, about 10 years ago to some emails I received demanding that I sell my most expensive, nicest Wing Zero cels for practically pennies. Those messages pissed me off, but I believe I replied rather snarkily and blew the person off after that.

It's disgusting how some people will behave, but I have to say that in the past few years, things have been better with fellow collectors for me. I don't get the nasty lowballers that I used to (and I mean the ones who are just downright freaking rude -- I won't even go into the names I've been called via PMs here on Beta when I wouldn't accept some lower offers on my cels). Offers today are lower than they were 10 years ago, but that's to be expected, for the most part. And people have been polite about it and understanding if I choose to say no. Have faith, Jenn -- things might just be coming around in this hobby ;).
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Jadeduo wrote:.. I have one girl that has sent me an e-mail once every three months since I posted it, asking me to sell my Teenage Chibi-usa she is very nice, but I can see how that would be irritating.
Oh, you get her too? The one who says that she wants to be an animator or something and how your cel would inspire her to accomplish that goal? She's always pestering me about my Small Lady/Pegasus cels. I'd be totally fine if she just asked me to keep her in mind if I ever wanted to sell something (and I do when people ask), but to send me an essay full of her life story, hoping that I'll decide she's a truly worthy of owning the cel and send it to her free...that's a little much.

I seem to get an e-mail from her every 3-4 months. Prolly overdue for one by now, but I agree...she's annoying.

Wow Jenn, I've never had anyone demand that I "do the right thing" and sell my collection because I'm not properly caring for my items. How does anyone ever equate infrequent updates with not caring for the stuff you own?

My latest batch of inquiries have all been from French collectors. One asked me "How do you get so many sketches? Please tell me your secret."

I responded with "I don't go to French conventions" :vict

(..And I also pay for them... /swt )
Quacker
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Quacker »

jenn-b wrote:Not to mention the fact that I was required to hide several items that I purchased from public eyes. A few I thought understood...the one series was because the cels were supposedly so savagely sought after, that the fact a US collector had them would cause the polar caps to melt. Or some such nonsense. But I happily agreed because I wanted the pieces. And those stayed hidden.
Same here Jenn.

In 2011 I started dealing directly with some private collectors based in Japan, as a result I have acquired numerous truly breathtaking pieces from both modern & older series' that I wish I could share, but for the time being must remain off-line. In dealing with these collectors, part of the stipulation of being allowed to purchase their cels/artworks off them is that I am forbidden from displaying those items online as well as provide the name of the series or leave details as to which series' were purchased (hence why I am being vague here) for a specified period of time, usually 6 or 7years. Most of the time, actual legal paperwork is not used, it is more of a 'handshake' deal where reputation is more at stake - sure I could decide to ignore their pleas for the art to remain 'hidden', posting the art into my gallery but then I will find that collector will stop corresponding with me along with any other collectors associated with them will also suddenly cease talking to me altogether.
Most of the reasons specified can be justified, working for the studio or friends with the character designer/director/animation director etc. but others can be quite.........ahhh 'unique'. One prime example being that the artwork was originally a present from their partner at the time, but have since broken up which is why they are happy to sell the artwork to me - but there still may be a chance of reconciling their relationship! Very politely they instructed that I not display the art in my gallery nor list it for sale for 6years otherwise the ex-partner may notice it and get upset, dashing any hopes of a 'reconciliation'!
Starting from next year, I will finally be able to start uploading some of these 'phantom' pieces.
teppy wrote:The few folks who sent you nasty emails, I hope, are outliers. Yes, it sounds like a nuisance to deal with this folks. But, you can, perhaps, take it in stride. I am glad that it did not dissuade you from posting your collection, and the strategy you have settled on sounds like a good one to deter such malicious emails. I think we also have to take into account the "silent" majority of collectors who are thankful to see the artwork on public display, even if they do secretly ( or not so secretly) lust after what it contains.

Speaking of which, your Evangelion collection is fabulous. I especially enjoy your examples of Rei and Misato! :)
Water off a duck's back dude.
I have been collecting art since turning 18, close to 17years now and believe me when I say that can get downright spiteful & vindictive, especially during charity auctions! When I first started receiving those emails, I was a bit shocked and then disappointed that even something that is supposed to represent "fun" and light entertainment could also potentially turn nasty. My favourite vent-mails were those informing me that I had "lucky" to have won the auction or that they had actually "allowed" me to win?!?!
Thank-you for the encouragement & positive comments Teppy.
My Cel Gallery can be found here:

http://celsphoenix.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

A growing collection of Escaflowne, Evangelion, FMP, Fate/Stay Night plus other cels that are among my Favourites. No cheap & nasty stuff here.
Come, check out the cutesy female & Mecha madness!!
teppy
Anime Geek

Post by teppy »

Quacker wrote: In 2011 I started dealing directly with some private collectors based in Japan, as a result I have acquired numerous truly breathtaking pieces from both modern & older series' that I wish I could share, but for the time being must remain off-line. In dealing with these collectors, part of the stipulation of being allowed to purchase their cels/artworks off them is that I am forbidden from displaying those items online as well as provide the name of the series or leave details as to which series' were purchased (hence why I am being vague here) for a specified period of time, usually 6 or 7years. Most of the time, actual legal paperwork is not used, it is more of a 'handshake' deal where reputation is more at stake - sure I could decide to ignore their pleas for the art to remain 'hidden', posting the art into my gallery but then I will find that collector will stop corresponding with me along with any other collectors associated with them will also suddenly cease talking to me altogether.
Most of the reasons specified can be justified, working for the studio or friends with the character designer/director/animation director etc. but others can be quite.........ahhh 'unique'. One prime example being that the artwork was originally a present from their partner at the time, but have since broken up which is why they are happy to sell the artwork to me - but there still may be a chance of reconciling their relationship! Very politely they instructed that I not display the art in my gallery nor list it for sale for 6years otherwise the ex-partner may notice it and get upset, dashing any hopes of a 'reconciliation'!
Starting from next year, I will finally be able to start uploading some of these 'phantom' pieces.
Quacker - It'll be great to see the updates once they start rolling in!