Kyoto Animation Warning

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Kyoto Animation Warning

Post by JWR »

At this years AX and I assume at any other con's they choose to attend, Kyoto Animation has been setting up a booth space to sell art books , posters and such from the shows they produce. One item I saw I need to pass on a word of warning about.

One of the shows they put out is Free https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free!_%28anime%29

In their booth they are selling some douga from that show in the official timing bags like most CG show sketches that are sold now a days. The problem is all of them are from the same scene of one of the main characters and all marked in the corner as A4End. So instead of being the original one of a kind piece they are selling multiples of the same piece. There is nothing posted stating they are "reproductons".

I don't collect from that series but if I bought one assuming I was buying a 1 off end sketch and scanned and posted it on my site only to see others bought and uploaded the same one thinking they had the only one could lead one to feel taken.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Kyoto Animation Warning

Post by Gabe »

Why you do this warning?
They never sold originals. May you should had asked them before you bought those sets.
Currently those kind of repro dougas are just normal since you can find them in the shops like Animate.
Kyoto Animation is not the only Studio doing this. I saw some others as well on my last trip.
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Thanks for the heads up! That's good to know, as I'll be at a few cons this summer :)
JWR

Post by JWR »

Gabe wrote:Why you do this warning?
They never sold originals. May you should had asked them before you bought those sets.
Currently those kind of repro dougas are just normal since you can find them in the shops like Animate.
Kyoto Animation is not the only Studio doing this. I saw some others as well on my last trip.
Considering that I bugged me that the person manning the booth directed me to them when I asked about if it was possible to purchase original artwork directly from the studio I found it best to put the info out. If they were upfront that they were repo's I would never needed to make this post. More info to our Beta members is a good thing.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

Maybe it was just a misunderstanding?
Kyoto Animation is like other Studios they don't sell art directly to the people. I was in Kyoto and had talked with them about their art and what they can sell. They told me they can only sell their repro art. Since we talked about art they showed me some nice Haruhi art from their private vault. Sadly not for sale.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Gabe wrote:Why you do this warning?
Well, we appreciate the info, even if we don't buy from studios or shops like that currently. Not everyone knows this kind of stuff. ;)

Thanks, JWR! :D
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Worth noting: original KyoAni art is available from time to time from the late 90s to 2000 period when they subcontracted to do episodes for Studio Pierrot (Hyper Police, Tenshi ni Narumon) and Sunrise (Inuyasha).

For example...
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

Angelic-Lair wrote: Well, we appreciate the info, even if we don't buy from studios or shops like that currently. Not everyone knows this kind of stuff. ;)

Thanks, JWR! :D
Please, don't get me wrong here.
I think it was great of JWR to inform people its just the way like it was done that looks somehow silly to me.

Other Studios did it the same way.
So always on top is the repro Douga and in the back the Studio envelope.
Mostly male charas what i saw.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

No worries, Gabe. Maybe it seemed silly because you've seen this type of thing before and were aware of it already?

We haven't been to a con in nearly a decade, and this isn't something we were aware of. At all. That said, these things always seem to find their way out into the wild eventually, so it's great to know what to watch out for. :)
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

Angelic-Lair wrote:No worries, Gabe. Maybe it seemed silly because you've seen this type of thing before and were aware of it already?
Ok, Yep, i was.
Angelic-Lair wrote: We haven't been to a con in nearly a decade, and this isn't something we were aware of. At all. That said, these things always seem to find their way out into the wild eventually, so it's great to know what to watch out for. :)

Ok, since i never visited a con in the US i don't have any ideas what is getting sold.
For me is more annoying to see those reproduction art on YJ.
Some people go to the shops buying it for 3500 JPY and adding it on YJ with a start bid of 9000 JPY (as example) without to mention that the art is reproduction.