Is this a shikishi?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Is this a shikishi?

Post by nowherekid85 »

434315.jpg
434315.jpg (140.1 KiB) Viewed 599 times
I had gotten this a while ago, as part of a small lot, through Yahoo Japan. Then maybe a month ago I saw some shikishi somewhere, and they looked kind of similar to this, so I was wondering if this might be a shikishi too? It's about 4.5" x 5" and looks like it's on some kind of cardboard.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Is this a shikishi?

Post by JWR »

Yes & No,

Many consider Shikishi to be an actual drawing done on the type of board. A lot like what that one looks like have a "preprinted" artwork image and a space for signatures such as a voice actor or director involved with the show so it can be classified as such by some. Value depends on who did it.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Hmm...well, I consider a shikishi to be anything done on a shikishi board. That includes pre-printed shikishi. This seems to be the consensus on Yahoo Japan where pre-printed shikishi are often labeled as being shikishi. Usually, these auctions will include these two kanji characters - 複製 (fukusei) - and that indicates that it is a copy. Though, in some cases, those characters are not used and the item is still a copy. Pre-printed shikishi are usually released in Japan for popular properties as well as for hentai (especially eroge) products. Of these, there are shikishi where both the character and autograph are pre-printed and those where just the character is pre-printed. The latter are usually given out at Comiket and other Meet/Greet type autograph sessions.

Shikishi are usually sturdy paper boards that are white on the front and yellow on the back, often with small silver sparkles embedded on the yellow portion of the board. They usually measure 9x10, but there are smaller shikishi, usually measuring 4.5x5, that exist as well. These are the most common sizes used.

I would classify it as a shikishi. Both it and the autograph are pre-printed.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

so I'm not a shikishi collector at all, just not my genre, but since you are
a huge IY fan/collector it sure looks like a neat piece to add to your stash!
:cheers
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

The back of this one is actually white, and just has the gold border, just like the front does. Whatever it really is, it's fine, since it is something neat to add to my massive collection lol. I almost forgot all about it too! I really need to go through everything and do a routine cleaning/organization!